LegacyGT.com

First major issue with 05 LGT

I'm not really a car guy and could use some advice from the knowledgeable folks around here. The mechanic says my 2005 Legacy GT has "burnt valves and the piston looks funny too". He is proposing a new short block and 4 new valves at a total cost of about $4500.

I love this car and I want to drive it for years to come, but it has 140,000 miles so I question whether investing another 4-5k in it is a wise decision. I can't afford to make this fix and have another major repair on my hands in a couple months.

What should I do?

can you give more info? why did it end up in the shop? what issue were you having with the car? how does he know it has burnt valves?

also, are you original owner? what have you done the car maintenance wise? how often do you change the oil?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I spent $7000 on my 05 wagon last May at 154,000 miles the car now 172+ and I still love driving it. I plan to get another 100k plus out of it.

here's my thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

can you give more info? why did it end up in the shop? what issue were you having with the car? how does he know it has burnt valves?

also, are you original owner? what have you done the car maintenance wise? how often do you change the oil?

It ended up in the shop because it was idling 'rough' and the check engine light came on. The mechanic (my Subaru dealer) took the engine apart to identify the problem(s).

I am the original owner and have done all the routine maintenance. I usually change the oil every 3,000 miles, but have gone 4,000 between changes maybe 2 or 3 times.

If there is anything else I should add please let me know.

I spent $7000 on my 05 wagon last May at 154,000 miles the car now 172+ and I still love driving it. I plan to get another 100k plus out of it.

here's my thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

Honest question, is another 100k a realistic expectation? Because that's what I'm struggling with. Obviously there are no guarantees but if this fix would get me another 100k miles I'd do it in a heartbeat.

here's my thread.

Honest question, is another 100k a realistic expectation? And realistic for a guy like me - knows nothing about cars and how to catch small issues before they become big ones. That is what I'm struggling with. Obviously there are no guarantees but if this fix should get me another 100k miles I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Max Capacity, is another 100k a realistic expectation? Keep in mind I'm not a car guy and probably won't recognize small problems before they become big ones. Obviously there are no guarantees, but if 100k more is realistic I'd do this in a heartbeat.

possible? look at my signature. 222k and I'm aiming for 300-350k. I'm driving this b!tch into the ground. Max Capacity is a great resource. listen to the man.

do you trust your dealer? have you seen the block yourself to see what he's talking about?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I tried quoting/responding to Max Capacity but my post doesn't show up?

Anyway, is 100k more miles a realistic expectation? Sounds like it is for guys that can catch small problems before they become big problems, but how about for a car idiot like me?

I'll be honest with you.....I stopped using dealers when it took them 13 times to properly diagnose a number 2 misfire.

Max Capacity can chime in hear and probably show you what burnt valves, etc... look like. from what I understand the stock tune will do this to our cars. I'm running a stock tune and have not had any issues yet.

After you learn what to look for, i'd just show up and ask to see your engine. If I understood......they've already taken it apart, correct? it is NOT drivable.

Honest question, is another 100k a realistic expectation? And realistic for a guy like me - knows nothing about cars and how to catch small issues before they become big ones. That is what I'm struggling with. Obviously there are no guarantees but if this fix should get me another 100k miles I'd do it in a heartbeat.

i see your quote and reply.

I'm a car idiot too dude. I just have an honest mechanic that I use. if it needs fixing, he does it. if it doesn't need it right away, he doesn't. these cars are bomb proof. sure there are some that have issues.

PM Max Capacity too. he can send you some pics of his old engine.

If that includes labor, that's not bad at all. I just went through a new short block a few months after buying my LGT...my mileage was only 63k at the time but I have to say the previous owner was an idiot as far as taking care of the car. It's worth it if you plan on keeping the car. We have my car running smooth now, great idle with no hint of shaking or anything. You may want to add a few extra things while your at it, I took the opportunity to add a new oil pump, timing kit, fuel pump, injectors, plugs, maf (we found it was siliconed on the back end for some reason) but with the car running so well now I'm happy. I think it will be worth it in the end if I get 100k out of this with little to no issues. $4500 is cheaper than a new car, and you get a brand new short block with refinished heads...you should hopefully be good for a while. And yes, Max Capacity is a pretty good source for questions.

If that includes labor, that's not bad at all. I just went through a new short block a few months after buying my LGT...my mileage was only 63k at the time but I have to say the previous owner was an idiot as far as taking care of the car. It's worth it if you plan on keeping the car. We have my car running smooth now, great idle with no hint of shaking or anything. You may want to add a few extra things while your at it, I took the opportunity to add a new oil pump, timing kit, fuel pump, injectors, plugs, maf (we found it was siliconed on the back end for some reason) but with the car running so well now I'm happy. I think it will be worth it in the end if I get 100k out of this with little to no issues. $4500 is cheaper than a new car, and you get a brand new short block with refinished heads...you should hopefully be good for a while. And yes, Max Capacity is a pretty good source for questions.

It includes labor but 4500 is an estimate so no doubt it will be 5k in the end. When I dropped the car off I asked the dealer to look for other maintenance/upgrades but they didn't come back with any. Would the oil pump, timing kit, etc. be standard for me right now?

I really appreciate the help guys. Flying blind is no fun.

Yes, 4500 is a good price for all the work that has to be done.

The machine shop they send the heads to may want to replace all 8 exhaust valves just to be safe. it's your call, the valves are not cheap.

Didn't notice if your car is a 5mt or 5eat. If it's a 5mt, you may want to think about the single mass flywheel and new clutch and the TSK3 TOB kit.

Also have them grease the starter shaft while it's out.

You can see in my thread I replaced a lot of the hoses and items that may cause issues a few years out.

I would also have them remove the front banjo filter, or at least grind the head down on the bolt so it can be removed and the screen checked or replaced. I just had mine removed.

Also get the car off the factory MAP. We can send you to a good Tuner if you tell us where you live.

My wagon has been on Cobb AP since Dec 2004 at 8000 miles. All my valves were in great shape.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

TSK3 is a aftermarket kit to save the snout on the tranmission. Every one of these with a 5mt should have it. The snout is where the TOB throw out bearing slide on.

Factory MAP is the tune the car comes with. Long story, but when I told my machine shop buddy what my Tuner said about the timing flaw in the OEM tune, he said, Oh that explains why we see so many of these engine from the dealerships with burnt valves. That was back in 2007 or 2008 when I learned that.

wait its okay to have a little shake at idle right? its just the layout of the flat 4 ?

I would say no, but I haven't realy watched the engine at idle. I'm guessing there is very little movement in both my cars. I say they are smooth based on my recall when I started the new ej257 last May for the first time.

It's a 5mt. I'm located in Moorhead, MN.

You may want to check the regional forums below to see who the guy's there use. Or get a e-tune from one of the vendors here in the Vendor Forum. I use http://www.tuningalliance.com Mike is a great guy and knows his stuff. He's one of the first ones to find the timing flaw.

I would say no, but I haven't realy watched the engine at idle. I'm guessing there is very little movement in both my cars. I say they are smooth based on my recall when I started the new ej257 last May for the first time.

Let me rephrase, from what i have read an intermittent shake at idle is normal to some cars. "boxer studder"

i just went through a similar situation. I ended up purchasing another vehicle with the 5K and dealing with parting out my lgt. I had other priorities at the time than to fix up my lgt. Do what ever is financially smart and go from there.

Archived