LegacyGT.com

Glove box slot plays another role!!!

I was browsing the HVAC manual and came across a diagram of the blower and optional air filter. The blower is mounted behind the glove box and it turns out that the optional air filter is installed through the glove box too!!! The way that the diagram shows it, I think we all have the same blower which will accomidate a filter. Just have to buy the filter and maybe a bracket to hold the filter in place. Can someone take a pic of what's behind the glove box slot?? I know you can remove the slot by pulling it out and there's more room behind it.

Nice find. I was wondering where the HVAC air filter goes. In my Forester it was directly under the glove box and was easily installed by the owner. I've heard the kit won't be available until August. Ken

I'm going to check how it is installed, maybe cut up a home hvac filter for it. I think there's thread around that the poster tries to put the stereo in there, with pics.

[quote name='CombatCQB']Franz, was there a filter already installed on yours? I think the filter material is the only thing that needs to be installed for the filter kit. I don't know how Subaru can charge $80 for it.[/quote] Simple- Filter: $1.00. Labor: $10 (being generous) The "your a sucker for believing it really costs $80" fee: $69.00. :D

[quote name='CombatCQB']Franz, was there a filter already installed on yours? I think the filter material is the only thing that needs to be installed for the filter kit. I don't know how Subaru can charge $80 for it.[/quote] It kind of looked like there already was a filter in there.. but I do not know for certain.

I just checked, you cannot open the filter cover through the little slot. You can loosen it, but there's not enough space to remove the cover. Looks like we need to remove the whole glove box afterall. I don't feel like experimenting with it since those are mostly little plastic thumb tacks screws instead of real screws, and I don't really want to wrestle with them.

It's the same way as replacing the filter on the WRX, you actually do have to take apart the glove box to get to it. The slot you see in the glove box is actually for the thick brick-of-a-book called a manual. That way, it doesnt take up as much space and it's easier to take in and out of the glove box. I, on the other hand, have other plans for that slot. (Namely HKS C.A.M.P. Unit) Keefe
Keefe

Well, I plan to taking it apart when I get it to see what kind of filter can be made to fit. I changed the filter in my dad's LeSaber and it's amazing the stuff that we allow to blow into our cabins; that filter was only 2.5 years old. We have filters to let our engines breath cleaner air, no reason why do we have to breath the dirty stuff too.

You actually have to remove quite a bit to get the filter housing out; center console, passenger side console, little peice off the side of the dash (where the door covers it), then the glove box, and a few access panels. That's why the air filtration kit is on hold, Subaru of America says it's "too time consuming and expensive to install" . A redesigned kit is expected by September. I would guess that the redesigned kit will have a different glove box assembly included in the "Install" kit that will be easier and less time consuming to access the filter.

[quote name='Opie']You actually have to remove quite a bit to get the filter housing out; center console, passenger side console, little peice off the side of the dash (where the door covers it), then the glove box, and a few access panels. That's why the air filtration kit is on hold, Subaru of America says it's "too time consuming and expensive to install" . A redesigned kit is expected by September. I would guess that the redesigned kit will have a different glove box assembly included in the "Install" kit that will be easier and less time consuming to access the filter.[/quote] hmm... almost sounded like an afterthought on SOA's part. Well, we'll see how much the kit come out to be later. Maybe this would make an interesting mod if we can figure out how to access the stock housing a little easier. If this housing is the same as the WRX, anyone know what the filter material costs at the parts department?

Here's the installation instructions for the filter kit that was discontinued and is being redesigned...you'll see why it is considered to time consuming to install! :lol: PDF: [url]http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/05/05_legacy_filter_kit.pdf[/url]

I'll give it a shot, I just didn't know where to start to start taking apart the dash. Looks easy enough. I don't know how they can 'redesign' the filter unless they relocate the entire filter housing ...

[quote name='bemani']I'll give it a shot, I just didn't know where to start to start taking apart the dash. Looks easy enough. I don't know how they can 'redesign' the filter unless they relocate the entire filter housing ...[/quote] Maybe they'll change the glove box design a little so you can pull it out without taking the whole thing apart. Which means the kit might get more expensive.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Interesting. I was gonna make a filter for mine- but if they offer an updated kit, I'll wait for that to come out.

Archived