LegacyGT.com

Summer tire virgin

scoobydoobie

My 2 cents(225/45/17) a decent cheap summer tire Hankook Evo v12 are a great starter summer. Great dry grip and very good wet grip.

After that kumho mx's which i can't seem to find anywhere. Excellent dry grip but wet grip was dodgy at times.

I really liked the bridgestone re070s(too pricey for what it is)

Kumho Spt's I didn't like they seemed to give a lot on sharp turns.

My next set might be Continental DW's

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just purchased a set of Continental DW summers, but I'm waiting for spring to finally show up in my locale. Half my driving is early in the morning where low 20s in temp are still the norm so still running the winters for now. It'll be my first set of summer tires on any vehicle I've owned so interested in how they perform.

Well sad to say money is never my concern, I want quiet, smooth, wet traction, and stick to the surface tires. I will be traveling 4 hours a day on these once I'm released from my doctors care. I want to hit every curved lane from here to upper State PA lol.
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

Looks like Hankook v12 and Continental DW are both $624 on tirerack for a set of 235/40/18s.

Out of the 2, it seems the DW have better reviews and longer tread life. Opinions on those 2 tires?

I had this debate last summer. I went with DW and I am happy. I sometimes wish the sidewalls were stiffer but its probably what makes them an extremely comfortable summer tire. They are great for a daily driver.

My previous summer tire was Bridgestone RE-01R. The DW's are not as sticky and stiff on cornering but the ride is by far more comfortable. Its a nice compromise for daily driving if you have a commute.

I have maybe 7-8k miles on them so tough to comment on treadlife but they seem to be holding up well. Traction in rain is very good.

Bottom line: Great summer tire to daily drive but not for auto x. Since you mentioned it was you first summer tire these would be great to gently pop your cherry. ;)

edit: I have 235/40/18

Well sad to say money is never my concern, I want quiet, smooth, wet traction, and stick to the surface tires. I will be traveling 4 hours a day on these once I'm released from my doctors care. I want to hit every curved lane from here to upper State PA lol.

BFG Rival, Michelin Pilot Cup for the discerning money no object UHPS buyer.

If you want wet performance, the Michelin SuperSport is a hard combo to beat.

• 2 weeks later...
Dunlop Direzza Z2's, or a leftover set of Z1's.

+1 on Direzza Z2s...I have the Z1s and have enjoyed them greatly. Purchasing the Z2s soon I've used up the Z1s.

In my opinion, if you're going to get a summer tire, I'd go more towards the extreme end of performance...I mean, you're swapping out your winter or all-season for a reason...you want the enjoyment of a much higher performance tire. You do, as you noted, have to consider wet traction of course.

Note Z1s (and I assume Z2s) run pretty wide size wise (which is a plus for me).

See if you can find some one with a STI selling his stock tires. Just picked up a used set for 200 and have more than half the life left and are 245 40 18. For the price they are great tires. They are Dunlop sp600. Very happy with mine

• 2 months later...

Ok finally got the wheels. Plan to buy tires this week (maybe tonight). 235/40/18

Narrowed it down to:

1) Continental DW ($640)

2) Bridgestone Potenza S-04 ($620)

I originally had my mind up to go with the DW, but S-04's are slightly cheaper, and the survey results on TireRack show the S-04's with slightly better stats as well.

What say you fine folks?

I am looking at the same size, same tires, along with the Michelin PSS. I decided on the Continental DW, as it is the lightest in 235/40-18:

Continental DW: 22lbs

Michelin Pilot SS: 23lbs

Bridgestone Potenza S-04: 26lbs

Eric

I am looking at the same size, same tires, along with the Michelin PSS. I decided on the Continental DW, as it is the lightest in 235/40-18:

Continental DW: 22lbs

Michelin Pilot SS: 23lbs

Bridgestone Potenza S-04: 26lbs

Eric

Weight is only part (and a small part at that) of the equation for efficiency and performance.

I have the MPSS and they are hands down the best tire I've ever owned. Quiet, comfortable, grippy, and have a 30k mile warranty. They're a bit pricey but if you can afford them, I would highly recommend them

These were recommended to me and I took a chance. as good in every aspect as conti dw, half the price. Sumitomo HTR Z III

How do they do in the rain? At $484 a set these are sounding more and more tempting.

MPSS sounds great but unfortunately out of my current price range.

How do they do in the rain? At $484 a set these are sounding more and more tempting.

MPSS sounds great but unfortunately out of my current price range.

I have yet to hydroplane or slip, and it feels like monsoon season around here. My last summers were conti dw and i literally mean sumi is identical. Wear is faster on sumi however. I think DW is 340 and sumi is 300

I have yet to hydroplane or slip, and it feels like monsoon season around here. My last summers were conti dw and i literally mean sumi is identical. Wear is faster on sumi however. I think DW is 340 and sumi is 300

Cool, thanks. Wear/treadlife is not a big issue for me as I don't really drive that much anyways. Mainly concerned with dry/wet traction.

Archived