LegacyGT.com

Summer tire virgin

scoobydoobie

I hate the Contis.... horrible soft sidewalls do not deserve to categorized as Max Performance summers IMO. Although I loved the PS2 I ran before, they did not last too well and were very expensive. While the new PSS is better in performance it doesn't seem it would last any longer, but costs even more. After the PS2 I went to the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric. They lasted as long as the PS2, worked better in the wet and had only a fraction less sharp turn-in feel to complain about. I liked them so much I went to the Asymmetric II when they wore out. They're a little louder than the original but it's very reasonable. I really have no complaints about these tires for what they're purposed for and don't know why they aren't more popular. Tire Rack has them on closeout now for $588 and I'd choose them over the two you've picked even if slightly more expensive.

Now I have two sets of wheels and use the F1s as my wet season tire. On the other set I have the Federal 595RSR which hates wet and cold but is otherwise awesome.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently looking at new summer tires too. I am considering the Bridgestone S-04's, as they are almost the same price as the Hankook Ventus V12's in a 235/40/R18. One bonus about the S-04's is that the tread is asymmetric, so the tires can be rotated however you like. I had a set of Sumitomo HTR Z II's and they were absolutely horrible. Cheap tire, very noisy, wore out quickly, (very very noisy, sounded like an off-road truck tire). I am hesitant to try the new HTR Z III's with my previous experience. Different tread pattern, but same manufacturer. I came across this article (from last year), which was helpful to me. I'm still deciding though.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test

One bonus about the S-04's is that the tread is asymmetric, so the tires can be rotated however you like.

The MPSS don't care which way you roll them, as long as the outside sidewall is on the outside and the inside sidewall is on the inside

Working out some fender issues right now

Does a 235/40/18 fit under there? What wheels are you running? Mine are 18X8 +48. I've measured and I think they will fit, but I'd like to know for sure.

Archived