LegacyGT.com

Learning View Help...

monkonmonk

Update: I did some light reading about boost leak testing. Long story short I tried it again at 15psi and it was a bit quicker but still nowhere near 1psi/sec.

Anyway, I did hear a hissing sound so I started to feel around and finally noticed that it was coming from my AVO TMIC. The previous owner had a methanol injector threaded into the bottom side of the TMIC and when I received it, I replaced it with a bolt and o-ring. The noticed the o-ring was split and the likely source of the leak.

So, I teflon taped the bolt and then proceeded to RTV the entire bolt head. I will need for it to dry, but could this be the issue?

How do I know if it is safe to check it, a.k.a. drive the car?

Looking to maybe reinstall in the morning and then reset the ECU and try again.

Anything else I should be investigating before I do any of this?

Thanks.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just have to go through these things one by one until you don't leak anymore.

Have you burned off your suspect fuel yet?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Nope, I have about a 1/4 of a tank left. I thought about getting some 93 and adding octane booster just to make sure. I will check for leaks again once the rtv dries. I was also going to clean the MAF sensor tomorrow as well.

Siphon that shit out and use in your lawnmower / whatever.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I guess I should have been clear. My car has never seen anything other than 93 octane. I meant that I would get known 93 and add the octane booster to confirm it was at least 93.

But, still probably not a bad idea to get out as much of the 'bad' stuff as I can.

I will reconfirm a boost check this evening after the RTV cures and will also clean the MAF sensor before putting anything back together.

I got that part. Diagnosis is all about knocking down possibilities one by one.

Ah, gotcha. Just wanted to make sure I was being clear. Siphon this evening also.

But, should I be checking it in between all of these things to be able to pin point what exactly was the problem? Or is it too dangerous to do that?

I'd say put good fuel in and fix your leaks first, then log some and see what happens.

Alright, so I just drove nicely (read: no boost) all day and then right before I came home I switched it to Sport # for one time in the throttle.

I saw it go to 12-13psi and stumble heard a leak and stopped.

I came home and pulled this LV.

I am going to check boost one more time with the leak tester and then I am going to switch back to my stock TMIC and see what that does.

Could this be a BOV issue? (running stock currently)

Thanks.

1277829217_LearningView_SS_3-22-201362024PM.jpg.2bd26fce9a5facad9055995dcde99f21.jpg

Alright, so I did one more boost test leak and all seems pretty well but there is definitely some air leaking from somewhere under the left side of the intake manifold closer to the center of the engine. Ideas where to look. I guess I don't know what I can remove and still continue to run the check again to inspect for leaks. It only happens at higher psi ranges. At lower psi ranges the loss is negligible. For, example it basically will settle somewhere between 6 and 8 psi and just stay there until I relieve the pressure.

Very frustrating...

So, I took some things apart and noticed that the third hose as you follow the main intake hose back (the largest of the three) was slid back from its mounted location.

Am I supposed to pinch this off somehow when pressure testing?

I cannot see anything else that could at all be the cause since this is normally under vacuum.

Any other ideas as that is the rough area where it sounds that the leak could be. i tried to hold this hose together during another test, but I am not sure how successful I actually was.

You could just order that Chevy small block water outlet gasket for the turbo to TMIC interface and have peace of mind. Loads of posts on that here. Mr. Gasket... forgot the part number.

Do you still the have the soft rubber couplers on each end of the intercooler to throttle body hose? A lot of people have issues with those popping off and just remove then. You just clamp the hose straight onto the IC and TB. If the TB hose seems short, there are aftermarket ones which are longer.

Is that a Perrin or AVO TMIC?

fahr, I already have the Chevy gasket and it looked great the 5 times now the TMIC has been off. As for the rubber couplers, they are gone too as I had issues originally getting everything all hooked up. TMIC, yes, is indeed AVO. I started with a Perrin but had WAY TOO much clutch interference.

I reattached the hose that had previously blown off, I think to my original 18psi test. I reset the ECU and went for a drive.

I made about 5-6 pulls to redline making peak boost. Obviously not all the way to redline since I still have just a wee little VF46.

I made it back home and took this LV. Something tells me either I am not out of the woods yet or I need to do some more miles.

Thanks again for all the help.

Right now I am thinking that the TMIC leak was the original culprit in the first place.

361719272_LearningView_SS_3-22-2013103439PM.jpg.f64b045b6c82671a59a3ef8b98fc66a8.jpg

Mmm... not enough time for fuel trims or IAM to settle down. Drive some more, normal driving, and check again to see if IAM goes to 1.00 or you have more knock.

You have an AVO TMIC? A few words of advice:

1) The bottom bolt hole for the BPV for some stupid reason actually goes all the way through and is a potential source of a leak.

2) The holes are not reinforced and the bolts are only 10mm which means it is extremely easy to strip if you attempt to overtighten.

3) It wouldn't be a bad idea to put RTV onto the lower 10mm bolt prior to threading it in and then letting it dry for a few hours to ensure the seal is good. Or teflon tape I suppose would work too. Whatever you want to do.

4) You may want to have a helicoil and tapping kit on hand for when that 10mm bolt inevitably strips. If/when that happens, be sure to clean out all the metal shavings that will fall into the endtank.

5) What sort of gasket are you using on the BPV?

Update....It looks like no knock, but these values can't be good.

I did notice what I thought sounded like wastegate flutter near redline. Also, I noticed the boost drop off more significantly than I remember when I first was tuned. Say to like 14psi or so at 6k rpm in 2nd or 3rd.

Ideas?

Do I still have a leak? BPV? Wastegate?

Very frustrated...

1339125430_LearningView_SS_3-23-2013105441AM.jpg.dbf4aefb7c19034b44446ffecf18bcc9.jpg

Fuel trims aren't too bad. I like to see negative numbers rather than positive, but anything within +/-5% isn't bad. IAM being so low is more worrying. When IAM is that low you will running low timing and the boost control system may also be disabled, meaning you're on wastegate boost. Of course under these circumstances there should be no knock.

Why is the DTC reader disabled?

One of these days we're going to have to create a master check list for intake / boost leaks....

Archived