LegacyGT.com

Cobalt SS

Out of curiousity, has anyone gone head to head with one yet?

I was riding along side one last night but neither of us were really looking for a race. (to many cops out last night) But it got me thinking on how it might do against the LGT.

just for reference, motortrend got almost the exact same 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with the SS as the SRT4.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0505_joysticks/index5.html

or just hope they have a crappy launch, once those babies are all FWD....

:-)

Even though those numbers are not thaaaaaaat low anyway:

0-60 6.1 secs

1/4 14.4 @ 99.3 mph

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I've actually read quite a few different numbers which have been posted. Not sure which ones to believe. Mag #'s are over exagerated sometimes i think. Most of the numbers i have seen have been mid to high 14's.

There is also a 4 door SS which does not have the same engine and is not supercharged.

I actually did have a little back and forth with one on the road a couple of weeks ago. The guy driving it seemed unimpressed with stock SS power, although he still had the 30-day tags on it. Said he was going to drop a new Vette engine in it???
Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

Said he was going to drop a new Vette engine in it???

WTF go trade in for a GTO, otherwise

Whats that project run $$$ ???

fitment $$ fwd vs rwd

fuel mods $$

tranny $$

If he wants a little more, he would be better off just doing a pulley on that supercharger.

I've done engine swaps myself and they are a lot of fun, but I doubt that particular swap is ever going to happen, and that this guy will actually do it is even more remote.

+1

With the cost and complications involved the guy should just buy a vette!

I figure stock MT SS vs stock MT LGT, would be no problem, I bet stock AT vs stock MT SS would be a good race.

I have seen a Ford Focus with a 5.0 (302) and it was rear wheel drive. Unless you looked at the rear tires it looked stock from the outside.

I believe I saw a writeup on one of those, despite the power the numbers werent as good as a MT LGT, but there was an RS8 (?) Frankenfocus with the Cammer crate engine in it and that thing was walking Lambos !!

There is also a 4 door SS which does not have the same engine and is not supercharged.

What makes it an SS then? Sounds like a Cobalt sedan without the SS motor would not be an SS. :confused:

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

My mistake....Post edited...

There are actually 3 SS styles....

The 4 door SS will be a 2.4L ecotec with somewhere around 170 something horses...Not available untill next year.

Then there are two different SS coupe versions...There is the SS supercharged and the regular NON-supercharged SS as well...getting pictures...

The notable items include:

* SS coupe and sedan models (2006) with 171-hp (128 kw)* 2.4L Ecotec VVT 4-cyl., 17-in. wheels, FE3 performance suspension, unique exterior and interior appointments

* Model lineup includes LS coupe and sedan, LT coupe and sedan, LTZ sedan, SS coupe and sedan and SS Supercharged coupe

Biggest differences between SS and SS S/C are obviously engine, but mostly body cladding and rims...these pics are hard to tell the difference, but the one with the lip spoiler is the SS S/C

dsc010004xd.jpg.f34b6b43fbebfc68fca54b0d64221422.jpg

dsc010019ss.jpg.ff09780d97a90dacbc12e5fdf07b6288.jpg

dsc010023mf.jpg.4e4799a823840ab9f96d9003eca6dead.jpg

dsc010049zt.jpg.aad43c2587a1d27f2e8819f62196c3e3.jpg

dsc010066qi.jpg.f7cf699d1d2395ab704dbfc4af3a14c8.jpg

dsc010072cz.jpg.fb92eea1dfd81bdfe579a65b7af35b3c.jpg

dsc010089xp.jpg.cb6dfe2572bf2f3cd1b751b1b65f3991.jpg

dsc010090cz.jpg.85b062af2b0f6cb1f08e0ae84729798f.jpg

dsc010106gl.jpg.86f770e9aa52ea5dbf4535b3a589cac2.jpg

The notable items include:

* SS coupe and sedan models (2006) with 171-hp (128 kw)* 2.4L Ecotec VVT 4-cyl., 17-in. wheels, FE3 performance suspension, unique exterior and interior appointments

* Model lineup includes LS coupe and sedan, LT coupe and sedan, LTZ sedan, SS coupe and sedan and SS Supercharged coupe

Biggest differences between SS and SS S/C are obviously engine, but mostly body cladding and rims...these pics are hard to tell the difference, but the one with the lip spoiler is the SS S/C

are they dropping that god awful huge wing on the back? (on the current cobalts?)

http://www.chevrolet.com/i/gallery/cobalt/ext_gallery01.jpg

Archived