LegacyGT.com

bolt/nut size

Anyone know part number or size of bolt and nut to replace rear lower strut because i'm about to destroy these things getting them off. I've done everything short of torching them red hot and dropping the car on them. God damn it, 2 out of 4 konis........

We used a propane torch on it initially, my buddy is going to bring his oxy/acetylene torch to try something hotter. Ive been drowning them in PB blaster, but nothing. Tried jacking up a wrench to break it, nothing, impact gun, nothing. Next i'm going to get some 6pt short socket and a 6 pt wrench, only had 12, to try for better grip and drop the car on it... and if I dont get them off by the time my friend gets out of work, I will torch them off. Been at it for a couple days now.... F*** these bolts, i'm going to break the nut with a nut splitter if all else fails.

It's a combination of the torque, rust, and the bolt seizing in the lower bushing and/or trailing arm. Also, the shock is still under some load with the suspension at full droop, so if you can pull the trailing arm down a little bit you will relieve that load, although this is more useful for extracting/inserting the bolt than removing the nut.

I've yet to work on one that my 300ftlb impact can't take care of. I sometimes just have to lay into it for a minute or two before it loosens up.

I would seriously look at getting a OEM replacement bolt and nut. This is a stress area your dealing with, I would hate to hear about the bolt breaking in a year or two.

What's everyone thought on that ?

I bought a spare OEM lower rear shock bolt, nut and washer just in case when my mechanic put the Koni's on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived