LegacyGT.com

WOOF... I want the old Cherokee back

I don't understand why Jeep stuck the Cherokee name on a FWD-based crossover. The platform is purportedly a transverse engine FWD-based Fiat platform. The previous generation Liberty was a longitudinal RWD-based unibody design with IFS. The Cherokee before that was a longitudinal RWD-based unibody design with solid axles front and rear. And the original Cherokee was a longitudinal RWD-based body on frame platform with solid axles front and rear. The common theme of all three prior generations is longitudinal RWD-based platforms.

• Mega Users

That is embarassing, honestly Chrysler Jeep should be ashamed.

My buddy tells me every time that I see him that he would do anything to trade his 07 Grand Cherokee for his 00 Cherokee

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

By chance did any of you think the front of the original Tribecca was fugly? Now that I examined this hedious piece of sheet metal it bears some resemblence to the B9 in terms of shape and proportion. Jeep should dump all their ''wanna be" FWD platform products and stick to RWD based products. I work for a Jeep dealer. This past blizzard we had the Compass and Patriot (Paytoilet as I call it) both were crippled, unmovably stuck in any snow approaching 1.5- 2 feet. The lame CVT trans overheats instantly rendering the vehicle as useless. I can't see how they can put a trail rated badge on those junks.

However, the Grand Cherokee's and the Liberty's plunked into gear and rolled thru 3+ feet of snow like nothing was there. The Grand was actually more impressive forging snow banks than the Wranglers were. Thank God the Grand Cherokee still exists in it's present form. It, along with the Wrangler, are the true essence of what Jeep is and should be.

Agreed, the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler (Rubicon, etc) are the only true-to-form Jeeps left.

They have gone into cute-ute territory to grab share of that market and have made them as effective as a CR-V when it comes to doing anything other than driving to the grocery store.

The current Grand Cherokee is one seriously handsome and capable SUV. Expensive, but really nice.

Agreed, the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler (Rubicon, etc) are the only true-to-form Jeeps left.

They have gone into cute-ute territory to grab share of that market and have made them as effective as a CR-V when it comes to doing anything other than driving to the grocery store.

The current Grand Cherokee is one seriously handsome and capable SUV. Expensive, but really nice.

It is a truly amazing product, capable as it has ever been and worth every penny. I feel like I am back at the Honda dealer back in 1984, these things are actually pretty trouble free. You can still get a Laredo X for 30K after incentives. Add add a Katskin heated leather interior and a hands free kit and you have a nicely equipped GC for under 33k. We upfit about six a month like this and they sell as fast as we can get the leather.

I read that Marcionne was pissed because the spent too much money updating the 2014 model with electronic gadgets. But the 8 speed was badly needed.

Interesting fact; During the 2012 model year for the 300/Charger only SIXTEEN 8 speed units failed in all of the US cars equipped with them. Now that the 1500 Ram has the 8 speed they are being built in Indiana. It will be interesting to see the results.

My father's 2011? Grand Cherokee has 147000 miles and counting and his only complaint (besides gas mileage, which he admitted was much better than his 03 expedition) is the size of the fuel tank. Which I think they increased slightly for the new model?

I bought a 14 Grand Cherokee...It is ordered and I am waiting for it. Not my car but my wife's - technical note aside. It will be equipped with all the toys you can throw on it from quadra lift to adaptive cruise control. Just a regular V6 engine but otherwise fully decked.

I bought a 14 Grand Cherokee...It is ordered and I am waiting for it. Not my car but my wife's - technical note aside. It will be equipped with all the toys you can throw on it from quadra lift to adaptive cruise control. Just a regular V6 engine but otherwise fully decked.

NO DIESEL!!!! WTF! At least you'll get the 8 speed.:) I have a couple on the lot, don't like what they did with the gauge cluster, looks cheap.

Diesel is out already. I have to say, the current Grand Cherokee is the finest vehicle Chrysler has ever produced. We've got Overlands flying out of here. The last four trades for an Overland here were an E550, S550, C320, and an X6. Every one of these customers are blown away with how nice this vehicle is. The 8 speed and tweaks for '14 even have conusmer reports at attention. The say it is the best SUV for 40K money can buy.

I want one, I just can't afford one until they start coming back on lease returns.

Archived