LegacyGT.com

Interesting issue with 06 2.5i and p0026

So this is troubling me; I have an 06 legacy 2.5i AT sedan here in the shop that had an external oil leak from the passenger side headgasket. Replaced the headgasket, had head checked and resurfaced blah blah blah car ran great.

after 4 miles of driving it however, it threw a CEL and dumped straight into limp mode. p0026, bank 1 OCV. went through the typical motions, cleaning OCV and changing oil, new gasket on the housing, checked all the wiring as outlined in the FSM and alldata. all wiring and operations of the valve check out. unfortunatley my Genisis Evo cant see the values for the OCV's so i cant tell whats going on driving.

either way, code returns immediatley, was not an issue prior to the headgasket being done. symptoms also include, long crank at initial start after code clearing/ecu reset.

symptoms:

-long crank after initial clearing of code

-immediate limp mode

-p0026 that wont go the f away

Actions already performed:

-Cleaned OCV

-Changed oil

-Changed OCV

-Traced, inspected, ohm'd and tested all related wiring

-New gasket on OCV housing

Things i havent tried but just thought of while typing this:

-A potential bad unit from subaru.

-Swapping OCV from one side to the other

thoughts, suggestions ideas?

None. Didnt even seperate the cam from the head (i know i know subaru wants you to) the idea of a clogged passage did cross my mind; though I was thinking more in the ocv housing than head.

figured it out after all.. a metal shaving (I am assuming from the head being cut/cleaned had made its way to the end of the passage directly underneath then pressure control switch located on the head. all that time i spend dicking around with the OCV and it was actually something to do with the oiling passage to the pressure switch.

oh well, now i know.

• 4 years later...
figured it out after all.. a metal shaving (I am assuming from the head being cut/cleaned had made its way to the end of the passage directly underneath then pressure control switch located on the head. all that time i spend dicking around with the OCV and it was actually something to do with the oiling passage to the pressure switch.

oh well, now i know.

I know it's been a while but any pics of where you found the shaving? Was it right under the oil pressure switch that when you took it out and look down? How big was the shaving that caused the issue?

I now have the same code 100miles after a headgasket change where the heads were sent out to a machine shop. Just trying to pinpoint the problem.

Glad to hear it is resolved. My P0021 diagnosis on my personal car followed a similar process and "fluke" result. I had a piston fragment lodged under the "button" in the cam sprocket AVCS mechanism. Once dislodged, the system worked flawlessly.

Where abouts is this "button"?

• 8 months later...
Just wanted to add that I had the same P0026 code after doing a headgasket job. The issue ended up being that I wrapped the oil pressure sensor threads with PTFE tape thinking it would help prevent any leaks. Well the oil pressure sensor only has a single wire and grounds itself out through the block. The sensor wasn't making a good ground connection because of the tape and thus intermittently threw the code. I took it out, removed the tape, and instead used a small bead of Permatex Thread Sealant all the way around. ~7,000 miles later the code hasn't returned.

Archived