LegacyGT.com

Light Weight Flywheels Explained

m sprank

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.infamousperformance.net/storage/happy-veterans-day-pictures.jpg

The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.

Douglas MacArthur

• 1 month later...

#StickyTime

Great info... if I read correctly, the wrx and 07-09 smfw is 15#s and the lowest one should go is 14#s to avoid throwing a cell and having even less weight to dampen (some lwfw check in at 12#s)could cause even more stress on internal components?

Awesome info here, thanks MSprank!

Not that I know of. You could have a machine shop take an OEM, shave it down and rebalance it. We have done that in the past.

That's what I suspected and what we used to do with the Datsun flywheels. Thanks Mike!

M Sprank, been having a debate with myself and hoping some light can be shed and help others.

I bought this car with 82,000 miles and don't know if it is the original clutch so I'll really have to wait to decide once the tranny is dropped. It has started slipping due to increased horsepower so of course I would like to improve this area.

Notes

I have not had any issues with the setup currently. Again, I don't know if it is stock or aftermarket.

I do launch the car quite a bit and where my decision has to be made. I understand that a LWFW will help with revs, accel, decel and all that jazz. How will it affect launching a car though? With the stock being a dual type with a bit of give, is it actually better to keep the stock dual fw? Obviously a more aggressive and new clutch with help get the power down to the wheels better. Just wondering if with the setup I have has helped limit the shock to the tranny and going more aggressive could be worse for what I do to this car. The other side of that. More aggressive the clutch setup the tires should be the limiting factor and will spin easier?

Thoughts?

If launching it... be prepared for far more than a clutch job. Broken pitch stops, broken motor mounts, broken trans mount (technically the third motor mount) if your tires have real grip. Then we get into the bearings and the oiling, etc.

Find out what you have. Figure your power level (and any short term goals). Take into consideration your driving style/habits. Take into consideration your current and future budget(s). Go from there.

I dont know too many drag racers that use an OEM FW. But that does not mean it would not work just fine for a specific car/driver/event.

If launching it... be prepared for far more than a clutch job. Broken pitch stops, broken motor mounts, broken trans mount (technically the third motor mount) if your tires have real grip. Then we get into the bearings and the oiling, etc.

Find out what you have. Figure your power level (and any short term goals). Take into consideration your driving style/habits. Take into consideration your current and future budget(s). Go from there.

I dont know too many drag racers that use an OEM FW. But that does not mean it would not work just fine for a specific car/driver/event.

I have Perrin pitch stop, GroupN motor mounts, haven't done the tranny mount yet. probably do it when I do the clutch.

The car is for fun, no serious power here. Just a little over 300AWHP. Tires have slip so I don't break anything haha.

I thought about making a new thread, but figured this might help someone else in the future....

I'm not sure what to look for as far as condition of a used flywheel. Low miles is great, but what else should be considered? I've never bought a used flywheel, but like a rotor, I think looking for glazing and or heat cracks is a good idea... anything else that should be taken into account when shopping used? Unknown I can easily turn one... and unlike rotors, they don't get turned all the time so a minimum thickness probably wouldn't be a problem, LMK what I'm missing, and how bad do you think this eBay one looks?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/06-14-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-FLYWHEEL-2-5L-5-SPEED-MANUAL-MT-TURBO-OEM-FLY-WHEEL-65k-/182372301940?hash=item2a763c7c74%3Ag%3A-RgAAOSwo4pYPzQY

They did not even take the time to clean off the clutch material before snapping a pic. It would be very difficult to catch cracks in the pic anyway. Some cracks can be ground past. Some can not. Without the assistance of a good machinist you probably wont be able to tell what can be ground past and what can not. Sometimes it is a crap shoot.

Resurfacing a Subaru SMFW from a 5MT is not the easiest thing to do anyway. You have to remove the backing plate (note the orientation and bolt location for balance) to turn it. We had to make a fixture just for the 5MT FW's. Then you have to uber clean them and reassemble. Still maybe 1 in 50 has a slight vibration at 1200rpm and needs to be replaced.

Seeing how much labor it takes to get to the FW. I would hesitate to cheap out and have to go back in again.

Last question, and this is in the off chance I don't find the donor flywheel I want and am forced to buy new. Is there any gains to be had going LWFW over smfw?

I've found ACT lwfw for cheaper then an OEM smfw... i know going TOO light will cause problems, but the one I found is 13.7#s, technically in that "safe zone"... my thought process is that going from dual mass to single mass I will get the better acceleration/engine rev with out the adverse effects of wear and tear on the trans and louder in the cabin, at least not as bad as if I went lwfw.

Is singlemass fw the compromise in the middle and the "best of both worlds? Damn they are expensive new tho!!

The guys that did mine used a Hawkeye WRX (2006?) 2nd hand flywheel mated to a 2004 WRX Exedy pink box clutch if I recall correctly...

Just to throw more info in the mix I have a lightweight pulley set for a 2004 WRX fitted too - I can't really tell any difference from my original set up (JDM 2,0 GT spec.B 2004)

Last question, and this is in the off chance I don't find the donor flywheel I want and am forced to buy new. Is there any gains to be had going LWFW over smfw?

I've found ACT lwfw for cheaper then an OEM smfw... i know going TOO light will cause problems, but the one I found is 13.7#s, technically in that "safe zone"... my thought process is that going from dual mass to single mass I will get the better acceleration/engine rev with out the adverse effects of wear and tear on the trans and louder in the cabin, at least not as bad as if I went lwfw.

Is singlemass fw the compromise in the middle and the "best of both worlds? Damn they are expensive new tho!!

The single mass FW is lighter than the DM. So, it is basically the "middle option" for 4th gen LGT owners. Nothing against an ACT Streetlite FW. That is what I use in my SpecB. But, its not for everyone. Many LGT owners are not fond of the judder and decel chatter that comes with the FW. Plus the extra effort in heavy traffic.

For the record, an Impreza 2.5i flywheel, from the correct year span, WILL fit.... BUT no 6speed STi flywheel will fit.

Right?

No. The SOHC motors (EJ253 and EJ255) use a different FW. You need a 2006-2014 WRX FW.

SOHC = 12342AA061

DOHC Turbo = 12342AA090

No. The SOHC motors (EJ253 and EJ255) use a different FW. You need a 2006-2014 WRX FW.

SOHC = 12342AA061

DOHC Turbo = 12342AA090

I hope that you guy's get the hint there...That's the guy you want to buy your parts from.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't make me feel bad!

I couldn't have gotten this clutch situation right the first time with bout him...

Definitely agree, M SpranK is THE MAN!!!! I was previously committed elsewhere... it was a long ordeal and painstaking on their part. However, my next purchase (not counting my classified section whoring) will certainly be through M Sprank- the Legend!!

Where do we talk injectors and fuel pump?

Well appreciation sure don't keep the lights on... But I am definitely grateful to have had your help. Brian put a package together for me, then left tuning alliance... Britney helped best she could put the pieces back together, but your knowledge in this thread (and pm) was certainly invaluable.

Next plans are vf52... figure I'll need a fuel pump at minimum, maybe add a RacerX fmic. Not sure if I can get either from or through you?

Well appreciation sure don't keep the lights on... But I am definitely grateful to have had your help. Brian put a package together for me, then left tuning alliance... Britney helped best she could put the pieces back together, but your knowledge in this thread (and pm) was certainly invaluable.

Next plans are vf52... figure I'll need a fuel pump at minimum, maybe add a RacerX fmic. Not sure if I can get either from or through you?

Just because you don't see the part you want on his web site...doesn't mean he can't get it, at least asked Mike. Even with TA, at least ask Mike, yea, both these guy's are named Mike.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived