LegacyGT.com

Hella Supertones alternatives?

mr.hicksta

I think a train horn is ridiculous, and while I haven't checked I'm quite sure there are local and state ordinances prohibiting them. While my current setup IS louder than 2 Hellas and the stocker, I would really just like something that doesn't sound as 'tinny'. Make sense? Plus, because NOT rally car, I'd like to clean up the area behind my grill and relocate everything to the stock position.

On a separate note, you think I'm a douche Gire? You cut me deep Shrek :lol:

I totally agree on the horns. And Bac gets all rustled about tinted taillights "endangering motorists" meanwhile he's blasting 6 horns at grandma and the kiddies. :lol:

If you think tinted tails and loud horns are on the same level, you need to think a little more.

Tinted tails are illegal and make your car more dangerous, even when it's sitting parked on the side of the road.

Loud horns are, firstly, not illegal. Secondly, horns should rarely be used unless other forms of communicating with drivers fail. Gire may be the only one who toots his horn at anyone whose genitals he's interested in inspecting up close. Others with a little more common sense use horns sparingly, and in situations of impending catastrophe.

You might want your horn to blow the tune of Ave Maria, but I don't. As SOM said, horns should be startling and incongruous with the surroundings. Having spent 3+ years driving 100+ miles per day in the worst traffic cities in the United States, I quickly appreciated the ability to be able to attract the attention of drivers who were doing anything from shaving (razor and foam shaving, even), to playing Fruit Ninja or Angry Birds on their iPads held against the steering wheel.

When I was going to do my train horn install, I actually drew a wiring schematic that was based off of a 555 timer. Normal horn for 2-3 seconds, then unleash the kraken. If you have to be on the horn for more than 3 seconds, there's a good chance that added volume is going to help more than hurt.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Not that this helps my case, but train horn volume horns ARE indeed illegal.

As you state though, the types of situations in which I use that horn are situations where the added shock value makes a difference. Many people have learned to ignore normal honks, and many times the people doing stupid stuff are so oblivious to their surroundings that a normal horn doesn't even phase them. They ignore it. At least with this horn, people notice it. Most of the time they actually stop what they are doing (merging, turning in front of you, etc...)

...and right on cue, he appears. :lol:

Xoxo

:wub:

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Not that this helps my case, but train horn volume horns ARE indeed illegal.

There aren't any federal laws against horns in the 150dB range.

Tribeca horns are also a viable alternative. They mount and hook up in factory locations too. They're also miles cheaper. I think around $13-14 per horn.

I think I'll add them to my collection of horns. XD

Here it is:

§ 46.2-1060. Illegal sirens, whistles, etc.; unlawful use of warning devices; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use on any vehicle any siren or exhaust, compression or spark plug whistle, or horn except as may be authorized in this title. It shall be unlawful for any vehicle operated on a public highway to be equipped with any warning device that is not of a type that has been approved by the Superintendent. It shall further be unlawful for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonably loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. However, vehicles of common carriers or extraordinarily large and heavy vehicles may be equipped with such type of warning device as the Superintendent may require or permit.

Notwithstanding the provisions of this article, a siren, bell, or supplemental horn may be used on a vehicle as a noisemaker for an alarm system if the device is installed so as to prohibit actuation of the system by the driver while the vehicle is in motion.

(Code 1950, § 46-290; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-284; 1962, c. 146; 1970, c. 283; 1989, c. 727.)

From what I understand, most state driving handbooks (DMV stuff I guess) have vague wording that states that horns must mot be excessively loud. I'll have to look through the VA DMV handbook when I get off work.

That same wording is commonly used in vehicle inspections. "unreasonably loud or harsh" is not really definitive, and air horns are legal for other road vehicles. I think the intent of that local rule is to dissuade people from using sirens or combustion horns and things like that.

There aren't any federal laws against horns in the 150dB range.

Good for You (maybe ? why not go and check what 150db can do to one's ear ;))

In Germany the legal maximum is 105 db, measured at a 7 metre distance.

In Italy - I think - it's 110 or 112 db.

Archived