LegacyGT.com

Fog Lights: yellow bulb or HID?

Urbanrunner

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My 20 dollar Eurolite Yellow H3 bulbs work as well as my 90 dollar 'jdm' PIAA yellow bulbs.

(not that I paid 90 bucks for them)

Food for thought....

i had PIAA's too at first. what a waste of a good $90. they were yellow on the road, but not out of the lenses

• 6 months later...
Does anyone have pictures of yellow bulbs in their fogs I have 3000k HIDs and they arnt quite as yellow as I hoped I would like to get them like a Lexus fog yellow

most lexus fogs use a regular halogen with a yellow capsule over it. I guess to mimic this, you would get the capsule or a lamin-x film

Here ya go..nokya 2500k yellow bulbs

I have the nokya's in my DRL/high beam and I am happy. They are pretty bright.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/08-replaced-my-drl-high-yellow-halogen-bulbs-186702.html?p=4603827#post4603827

My 20 dollar Eurolite Yellow H3 bulbs work as well as my 90 dollar 'jdm' PIAA yellow bulbs.

(not that I paid 90 bucks for them)

Food for thought....

i had PIAA's too at first. what a waste of a good $90. they were yellow on the road, but not out of the lenses

I tried Hella Yellow (which were really bright but white when you looked at them, they only illuminated the road yellow). But not yellow as on-coming traffic would see

I have also tried PIAA's which were decent but at some angles gave off a purple reflection

Mtec yellow bulbs were by far the most dull

I have had Nokya's in my fogs in my old RS and they are bright.

I put 3000k HID's in my '08 fogs and they were really bright but at some angles looked green.

Now I have Hoen's in my fogs.

The Nokya's matched the HID's closest to output, intensity.

The Hoen's matched the HIDs the most in terms of yellow-ness

I cant seem to find any of my hid's from last year but here are my Hoen's

1.thumb.jpg.d5c882a9055cc508f5881f790c266b08.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.06aeec513feb9cd1aa73f6a6dd836fc0.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.bb779d3c3d89e05b96cb195c69611069.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.cf6d5d0668ac68966b817dd3d7710717.jpg

after running Luminatics Yellow fogs for about 6 months. 1 died so looks like I am going the HID route myself.

Luminics were pretty bad imo lol

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z314/imprezsing04/IMG_2994.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z314/imprezsing04/IMG_2993.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z314/imprezsing04/IMG_3101.jpg

...these were my nokyas on my old car. Way better than luminics

But HIDs are a good route. Finding a place to mount the ballast is probably the hardest part

Is it possible to run a orange/amber bulb legally or only yellow?

And if you want functionality + the color what's the best to go with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I think legally you can run amber in the front. as long as you dont run red in the front. ppl will think there are seeing your rear.

I believe yellow is best for fog because of its higher wavelengths so it can break thru the fog better. amber would do it too. actually amber has a higher wavelength than yellow actually...

hmmmmm.... all this luminacs bashing I will say they are not what they used to be. When I had my RSX back in 04 They worked flawlessly on my fog and brights. Worked for a solid 2 years before selling them with the car. These ones on my leggy though didn't work so well. Lasted about 3 months. What HID kits do you guys suggest? I know they have to be 55w since the fogs run on that unless I am mistaken.

Installed the DD 3k fog light kit (no relay) on my 08 LGT. Easy install, warms up quickly, no flickering whatsoever. The stock vertical alignment on the fogs were laughably low (useless) - angled them upwards slightly, but not so high as to blind oncoming traffic. Very happy with the color and output - highly recommended. Hopefully, the 3M double-sided tape will hold up.

Installed the DD 3k fog light kit (no relay) on my 08 LGT. Easy install, warms up quickly, no flickering whatsoever. The stock vertical alignment on the fogs were laughably low (useless) - angled them upwards slightly, but not so high as to blind oncoming traffic. Very happy with the color and output - highly recommended. Hopefully, the 3M double-sided tape will hold up.

Thanks for the kind words, I think the 3M doubled sided pads will hold up very well, but let me know if you ever need us to send replacements

Pics? ;)

Nick C.

John C.

Diode Dynamics

35W or 55W kit?

If I remember correctly, I had a 35W kit before my Hoens for the fogs and they worked.

I figured headlight is 55W and ppl do 35W. You just use your stock plug for signal when to come on right?

I put my ballast into the bracket and ziptied it to the tow hook on one side and stuck the other in the fender. Double sided taping it down there scared me.

35W for fogs. I also used a 35W TRS Morimoto bi-xenons for headlights (with relay). I've read some reviews about melted housings when using a 55W long-term - they may have been isolated incidences, but I went with the 35W just in case, to avoid any issues in the future. And yes, used the stock plug for signal; the wiring was very self-explanatory.

As for mounting, the TRS ballasts had taken all the prime real estate to fasten anything in, so I cleaned off the top of the fog light housings (on the backside of the front bumper), heated up the adhesive, and firmly pressed/mounted the ballasts directly on top. It's stuck on there pretty well - I couldn't budge it after the adhesive cooled, so.. fingers crossed.

I owe some pictures to Paul, so the next time I take off the bumper, I'll snap a few pictures of where I placed everything.

We only carry 35 watt ballasts because the heat generated by 55 watt kits tends to destroy housings. Admittedly, the 55 watt kits have more output, but it's not worth the risk IMO.

Morimoto kits are very high quality, but they are also considerably more expensive.

PM me if you need more information about our kits, they start at $89

Thanks!

Nick C.

John C.

Diode Dynamics

Archived