LegacyGT.com

05 LGT - RSB reinforced mount?

HarryD

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a set of the Cobb ones sitting in my garage.. I should see about getting them replicated.

Edit: Crap, maybe not.. I just have the straight brackets. Guess I'll head back to the junkyard I found them from and see if they're still on the car.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/catalog_photos/products/cobb_tuning/cob_924275_3_sd.jpg

AZP - I sent you a pm regarding having these made.

I requested - 10 gauge steel (Cobb and Avo are 11-12G) two piece (like the Cobb and Perrin kits), water jet cut, powdercoated any color - Stainless hardware - any input is welcome.

I would LOVE a domestic alternative to the Avos, bonus if they were less moolah...

Doug

I requested - 10 gauge steel (Cobb and Avo are 11-12G) two piece (like the Cobb and Perrin kits), water jet cut, powdercoated any color - Stainless hardware - any input is welcome.

A domestic alternative will not be cheaper. Cost of materials, labor, powder coating, packaging, shipping etc will exceed cost of even AVO. If not, someone (meaning the manufacturer or vendor) is losing money on the deal.

I was perhaps incorrectly assuming these might be domestic...

A domestic alternative will not be cheaper. Cost of materials, labor, powder coating, packaging, shipping etc will exceed cost of even AVO. If not, someone (meaning the manufacturer or vendor) is losing money on the deal.

What am I missing? My dad has worked at metal machine shops all his life and owned one and he is guessing that someone is making a huge margin on these and they could be done way cheaper. True, we don't have an actual drawing and quotes and I don't know that he was thinking about packaging.. but still, is there a key thing I'm missing that makes this so expensive. We were thinking laser cut the plate, use a chop saw at home to make an angle cut on the tubing then send it out to be welded and coated. Again this was a total guess off the top of his head, but the man knows his stuff. I assume there must be a key element I'm missing out on that is making this look too easy.

The Progress ones were under $50 from anywhere, half that from some sellers. Maybe they weren't US made, I thought they were...

While not as nice as the AVO mounts something like this should work well, and should be much cheaper to produce/package/ship.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/catalog_photos/products/cobb_tuning/cob_924275_3_sd.jpg

I read it here once, someone just welded a plate on the back when their stock mount broke.

I've had both sides break on my car and just recently the right side re broke and sounds terrible going over bumps in the road. It sucks they are part of the sub-frame itself. Does anyone have the dimensions for a reinforcement bracket that I could send to a local machine shop?

You all need to realize that AVO charges so much because you need to realize they monopolized the market for these. Most people will not attempt to make their own and Perrin and Cobb no longer produce these. So they could charge what they want and people will pay it because they are the only option.

Look at the AVO brembo conversion brackets for the rear of our cars. Unless I'm wrong they are $200-300 for a hunk of metal. Ridiculous.

You all need to realize that AVO charges so much because you need to realize they monopolized the market for these. Most people will not attempt to make their own and Perrin and Cobb no longer produce these. So they could charge what they want and people will pay it because they are the only option.

Look at the AVO brembo conversion brackets for the rear of our cars. Unless I'm wrong they are $200-300 for a hunk of metal. Ridiculous.

Some of it is that but in the case of the brake brackets they need to be fairly precise and they also come with liabilities. As a manufacturer they can get sued if the bracket breaks off and you loose your brakes.

Hind sight is always 20/20. If it is so cheap and easy why don't you produce, market and sell them. Let us know how it works out. Oh and have a support staff too. :)

Mike

Lol actually I am making my own brackets. And informed anyone that if they liked what they saw I may be willing to make them a set as well. But I never said it was simple I explained that it was a monopoly effect on both the rsb brackets and the brake brackets. And yes the brake brackets need to be precise but they are still a hunk of metal. Yes I get the liability factor as well but there are ways around that. Such as labeling them for off road use only. Or something of the sorts.

I mean braided brake lines would have the same liability if they leaked and I lost brakes. But they aren't $300.

I am going to see if i can fit a tubular straight rear sway bar with adjustable blades. most likely cheaper than some of the "adjustable" setups out there, only a little more time/energy to fabricate the mounts.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads10/R+Sway+Bar11180633826.jpg

AVO pricing has remained stable (within $5-10) for several years. Even when there were other options. I am not even sure AVO realizes they are the last company manufacturing them. Price has ZERO to do with competition at this point, honestly.

Progress discontinued their rsb and reinforcement bracket. The rsb market is tougher admittedly I'm sure, but their reinforcement brackets were a great value. Maybe they could be convinced to make them again?

^ follow link above.

I have fab'd a set of my own rsb brackets. I am willing to make sets for the community. As stated follow deltas link above. And if you like what you see shot me a pm and ill send you my PayPal.

Make sure to register on here as a vendor then.... :)

-mike

Yea already goin through this with SBT just waitin for him to respond back. But if I have to become a vendor then I will not continue and unfortunately the community will have no rsb brackets till someone else steps up. Because I'm not looking to turn this into a business I just saw a need and figured I could help out a few people. But I guess we will see what SBT has to say.

I have 36 sets of AVO brackets in route now. I should have them late this week/early next week. The skids have arrived, the wholesaler just needs to separate everything and get the brackets packed up for me.

Archived