LegacyGT.com

The Parenthood Thread

laff79

Its a new fad hitting the country. Vaccinations are now deemed bad, unneccesary chemicals by certain circles. The groups have been growing and of course with all knowing celebs supporting the movement it gets more publicity.

That being said there is some truth to this, some vaccinations are full of chemicals that your body doesn't need and many that shouldn't be in you at all. Also pharmaceutical companies are a bunch of money hungry assholes. But we also can't lose sight of all the good vaccinations have done for us.

This has been a ground-swell since the late 70s and it continues to gain momentum - in both the parental and academic realms. So it's reached beyond fad status. Parents (my kids included) are looking seriously at the chemical compositions, and their impacts on cellular, growth, neural/mental and immune development. And we (wife and I) agree that there are significant historical benefits to vaccinations, and are confident that our kids will make good choices for their children at the appropriate times. Which is all one would hope for, for their kids and their offspring.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators
@ BMB - not home schooling.

Please explain...? I seriously want to know as I'm also in VA and have children...well, have child--may have children in the future, lol

I know you mentioned they were going to be selective on the "when" of some vaccines...maybe they plan to meet public schooling requirements when GS1 is a bit older...?

Edited by BarManBean

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

AFAIK, that's the plan. Although GS1 won't (likely) get the full battery that most kids get, nor on the schedule that most do. Only those required, and only on their schedule. He'll do the full education route, hopefully, preschool, K-12, college, etc.

Like I mentioned, they have put a ton of research into this... , and carefully weighed the pros and cons, in repeated consultations with their pediatrician, before they developed their vaccination plan. We were very surprised that the pediatrician not only encouraged them to look hard at their choices, but also approved their way-ahead plan.

My kids are have had all of their vaccinations, I was hesitant for anything outside of Polio, Small pox, Measles etc, but my wife was gung ho to vaccinate them completely on everything their pediatrician reccomended. They also get the Flu shot every year as well.

Related to this subject (sort of), my wife was told by our daycare provider last Friday that she thinks my 6 year old boy might have "some of the markers of Autism"- Repetative body movements (arm swinging etc), doesn't make eye contact (some of the time), and he isn't always self aware.

Funny thing is, his kindergarten teachers, his old preschool, and his old daycare, all of whom we have contacted over the last four days, have all said they never noticed any of those things mentioned.

I was also told by a friend that know our daycare provider very well (she sent all 3 of her kids there) to take what she said "with a grain of Salt" because she tend to rush judgement on these matters". She has two kids with Autism and "tends to be overly sensitive".

As his dad, I sincerely doubt doubt he has Autism in any way shape of form. We will be disccusing this with his doctor tomorrow at his annual checkup.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

All vaccinations done here too, including HPV when she was older. I don't judge anyone, just not willing to risk my kids health without them. I get the flip side could also be considered a risk, but we were willing to take it and at 18YO, there are no apparent ill effects. Worth it to me.

My kids are have had all of their vaccinations, I was hesitant for anything outside of Polio, Small pox, Measles etc, but my wife was gung ho to vaccinate them completely on everything their pediatrician reccomended. They also get the Flu shot every year as well.

Related to this subject (sort of), my wife was told by our daycare provider last Friday that she thinks my 6 year old boy might have "some of the markers of Autism"- Repetative body movements (arm swinging etc), doesn't make eye contact (some of the time), and he isn't always self aware.

Funny thing is, his kindergarten teachers, his old preschool, and his old daycare, all of whom we have contacted over the last four days, have all said they never noticed any of those things mentioned.

I was also told by a friend that know our daycare provider very well (she sent all 3 of her kids there) to take what she said "with a grain of Salt" because she tend to rush judgement on these matters". She has two kids with Autism and "tends to be overly sensitive".

As his dad, I sincerely doubt doubt he has Autism in any way shape of form. We will be disccusing this with his doctor tomorrow at his annual checkup.

Arm swinging, doesn't make eye contact, isn't always self aware. Autism sure is hard to see coming as this describes 90% of 6 year olds. Mine do all of that except eye contact, both of mine will stare you down.

Arm swinging, doesn't make eye contact, isn't always self aware. Autism sure is hard to see coming as this describes 90% of 6 year olds. Mine do all of that except eye contact, both of mine will stare you down.

The eye contact issue isn't consistent either,he does make contact most of the time. I barely ever seen the arm swinging either, he did a little of it last Saturday at his Soccer game, but it was cold that morining, he was probably just trying to stay warm.

We discussed this with a few family members, one of them is my neice who just so happens to be a school teacher of special needs kids. Most of them have Autism in her class, although there is a few with Aspergers. Anyway, she got downright offended when we told her what our Daycare said. She said that never noticed anything of the sort when she would babysit for us or at any family function for that matter. Most were somewhat shocked that the suggestion was even made to begin with.

As a parent I want to be thorough and take issues brought to my attention seriously, so I will bring it up with his doctor, but I don't expect this to go much further than it already has. He is also one of the most social little boys I have ever seen, there is nothing withdrawn or shy about him. When I look at him he appears to be the polar opposite of the kids with Autism that I have been in contact with.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

...wow, I didn't know this thread was here. I've got two little people running around (5 and 2) w/number 3 on the way. Dealing w/two has been a handful, I suspect three will make me wave the white flag :lol:

...honestly, I'm in no rush but I'm looking forward to the elementary school years. It just seems like a fun time, or at least that's what I've told myself based on the experiences my friends are having.

• Mega Users

You can have your pediatrician waive most vaccines if you feel strongly about it. It worked in SoFL as well as here in WA. In our case, the waiver was due to a pediatrician giving the second dose of a vaccine a week late. This meant that the vaccine didn't count and the little one couldn't go to school. After notifying the school nurse that she was less intelligent than a pile of dog shit, we had our pediatrician write a letter. That was all they needed to get him back into school.

The trend of avoiding vaccines seems to be from the possible correlation between vaccines and autism. It is severely perpetuated by the fact that most autism symptoms show up around 18mo, which happens to also be when a bunch of vaccines are given. Since both of my boys are diagnosed autistic, I did a shit ton of research into this. I've read nothing even remotely conclusive. It seems like parents are just freaking out and desperately looking for someone to blame for their "misfortune".

We haven't skipped any vaccinations, but we asked our doctor to delay a couple of them. I've delegated health care research and decision making to my wife since she has a public health background.

In other news, we spend another 6 hours in L&D yesterday trying to get contractions to stop. I suspect we will probably be back to the hospital several times since there is no way to know if the contractions signify labor beginning or not. Since my wife had a classical c-section first time it's really important she doesn't go into labor because of the risk of rupture. We have a c-section scheduled for the 25th, so she just needs to make it 2 more weeks.

Her OB also threw down that she needed to be on pelvic rest :(

The trend of avoiding vaccines seems to be from the possible correlation between vaccines and autism. It is severely perpetuated by the fact that most autism symptoms show up around 18mo, which happens to also be when a bunch of vaccines are given. Since both of my boys are diagnosed autistic, I did a shit ton of research into this. I've read nothing even remotely conclusive. It seems like parents are just freaking out and desperately looking for someone to blame for their "misfortune".

Based on other discussions I've seen, this is pretty accurate.

The autism/vaccination "link" is a huge distraction for scientists that are trying to find the actual cause of autism. There was one study, which was thoroughly debunked and retracted due to the lead scientist looking for a biased (and potentially financially-laden) outcome. In fact, he's no longer licensed. Then there are a slew of subsequent studies by many different groups of scientists/funding sources that were unable to reproduce those results and in-fact cannot see a difference in autism rates between vaccinated and unvaccinated populations. Meanwhile, communities with high unvaccinated populations are relying on herd immunities (from vaccinated people, ironically) in order to keep their children disease free.

Vaccinations can have other side-effects (which you can't really know before-hand), so that is certainly worth discussing... but then, so can just about any other medical procedure.

My kid (currently singular, but a second one is coming eventually) are currently and will continue to be fully vaccinated. The benefits are just too numerous and if there's a side-effect, we'll reevaluate then.

Edited by Ellesedil

Based on other discussions I've seen, this is pretty accurate.

The autism/vaccination "link" is a huge distraction for scientists that are trying to find the actual cause of autism. There was one study, which was thoroughly debunked and retracted due to the lead scientist looking for a biased (and potentially financially-laden) outcome. In fact, he's no longer licensed. Then there are a slew of subsequent studies by many different groups of scientists/funding sources that were unable to reproduce those results and in-fact cannot see a difference in autism rates between vaccinated and unvaccinated populations. Meanwhile, communities with high unvaccinated populations are relying on herd immunities (from vaccinated people, ironically) in order to keep their children disease free.

Vaccinations can have other side-effects (which you can't really know before-hand), so that is certainly worth discussing... but then, so can just about any other medical procedure.

My kid(s) are currently and will continue to be fully vaccinated. The benefits are just too numerous and if there's a side-effect, we'll reevaluate then.

All this^.

Though I am pro-vaccine, I did have a reaction to a DtaP vaccine last October or so (the wife's obgyn recommended then, with the baby coming). The shot itself had a nasty afterbite, and my arm was pretty damn sore for a few days. A week or so later, I started to develop hot/cold sensations, and pain in the upper/outside thigh. IT was fairly unspecific and very difficult to pinpoint where the pain was. After a couple of dr appointments, the dr ruled it as being related to the vaccine. I was one of two reported cases (to the FDA) of this type of neuropathy. Still bugs me on and off to this day. I will have it evaluated by a neuro eventually if it continues to be an issue.

• Mega Users

Since I'm still on my soap box, I'll continue what i was talking about. The concern is the huge increase in autism diagnoses over the last 10-20 years. People like to ignore what actually makes up the diagnoses. It has changed to encompass a very large amount of kids that would have been given a meaningless label, like sensory processing disorder or general developmental delay.

Obviously, all these new cases of autism must be from some evil pharmaceutical cause. It couldn't be a slightly better understanding of autism.

Edited by seabass07

In other news, we spend another 6 hours in L&D yesterday trying to get contractions to stop. I suspect we will probably be back to the hospital several times since there is no way to know if the contractions signify labor beginning or not. Since my wife had a classical c-section first time it's really important she doesn't go into labor because of the risk of rupture. We have a c-section scheduled for the 25th, so she just needs to make it 2 more weeks.

Her OB also threw down that she needed to be on pelvic rest :(

Good luck to you and your wife! I assume they scheduled the c-section before they would anticipate on her going into labor to be safe.

I can't believe no one else commented.... but do try and give her pelvis a rest. :lol:

All vaccinations done here too, including HPV when she was older. I don't judge anyone, just not willing to risk my kids health without them. I get the flip side could also be considered a risk, but we were willing to take it and at 18YO, there are no apparent ill effects. Worth it to me.

same here. 3 healthy kids, all have had their vaccinations. hpv as well.

The eye contact issue isn't consistent either,he does make contact most of the time. I barely ever seen the arm swinging either, he did a little of it last Saturday at his Soccer game, but it was cold that morining, he was probably just trying to stay warm.

We discussed this with a few family members, one of them is my neice who just so happens to be a school teacher of special needs kids. Most of them have Autism in her class, although there is a few with Aspergers. Anyway, she got downright offended when we told her what our Daycare said. She said that never noticed anything of the sort when she would babysit for us or at any family function for that matter. Most were somewhat shocked that the suggestion was even made to begin with.

As a parent I want to be thorough and take issues brought to my attention seriously, so I will bring it up with his doctor, but I don't expect this to go much further than it already has. He is also one of the most social little boys I have ever seen, there is nothing withdrawn or shy about him. When I look at him he appears to be the polar opposite of the kids with Autism that I have been in contact with.

my best friend has an autistic son, his first day of kindergarten he snuck back in the room during recess and ate everyones lunches, then swung from the coat hanger rods for an hour while the teachers tried to stop him, then gave a teacher a black eye when she tried to "hug him out of it". he didnt get invited back for a second day. he will make eye contact, speak in full sentences, and after 7 or 8 years of special needs classes is being placed in general education classes. he will still drop trou and poop in the living room for no reason once in a while tho.

• I Donated Too
my best friend has an autistic son, his first day of kindergarten he snuck back in the room during recess and ate everyones lunches, then swung from the coat hanger rods for an hour while the teachers tried to stop him, then gave a teacher a black eye when she tried to "hug him out of it". he didnt get invited back for a second day. he will make eye contact, speak in full sentences, and after 7 or 8 years of special needs classes is being placed in general education classes. he will still drop trou and poop in the living room for no reason once in a while tho.

These are the type of kids I deal with at work everyday. Half my unit is autistic these days. Pain in the ass.