LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

does it pass smog?

Yes it passed smog its actually sporting the temporary operating permit because it is a salvage title and my parents can't get the appointment they need with the CHP until January :mad:

It needs some 24"s and a candy paint job.

I thought about keeping it and throwing some decent suspension and some black Nascar style wheels at it.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Salvage title?? Looks way to nice for that...

I thought about keeping it and throwing some decent suspension and some black Nascar style wheels at it.

Yes...

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=87689&d=1404852859

or Cragar reps...

5d9ba13677914b0aeeb10a90416b988d.jpg

Yes salvage grandma got into a fender bender, parts were difficult to find and expensive. It has 36k miles on it.

2003 Baja 5MT

Yes salvage grandma got into a fender bender, parts were difficult to find and expensive. It has 36k miles on it.

Ahh... makes sense. My mom got in a fender bender in her '94 T-bird in ~2010... about the same mileage but totaled for $3k in damage.

Changed the oil/filter and got the ride height finalized over the weekend on the NA, and had it aligned today... upped the camber a little bit for the higher spring rates.

Front camber -3.2*

Rear camber -2.8*

Guess you can say it's pretty track oriented now... :lol:

Also did some cleanup on the header...

37056722670_4f24e113ba_c.jpgDSC_1017 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Didn't clean up as well as I'd hoped, but it really doesn't matter since it'll be getting wrapped anyway.

One of the small projects on the list was an accurate H2O temp gauge. Anyone who's owned a Miata knows the stock gauge indicates cold, operating temp, and blown head gasket... and it doesn't move off 'operating temp' until it's past 'blown head gasket'. Even though data logs indicated no issues at FM Summer Camp in 90+ deg weather, I knew the sessions at MRLS would be a LOT longer, and a lot more time at full throttle. Since I didn't get around to installing a temp gauge, I wanted to do something.

Enter MSDroid... an app that allows you to use some of the Megasquirt functionality with an android phone... including displaying live data in the form of a dashboard. It's fully configurable, and can use either bluetooth, or a cable connection. I ordered up a cable from EFI Analytics, and some RAM mounting hardware, downloaded the app, and got it running this morning.

37303130592_561facb42d_c.jpgMSDroid1 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

37303131532_3c5ef92330_c.jpgMSDroid2 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

I've got it set up to display H2O temp on a large gauge, and the small bar gauges are for X/Y acceleration (uses the phone's accelerometers), MAP and RPM. Not sure I'm going to keep that stuff, but wanted to play with the accelerometers. The app will datalog, and I think it would be pretty interesting if it will datalog the acclerometer data... given what the vibration at idle was displaying, I'm not sure I have high hopes.

Oh, I had just started it cold, thus the rich AFR, in case anyone was wondering...

Gotta get ready for work, so no time to play with it today. I'll try to get it out later in the week...

Edited by rodan

^^^ What the heck, Rodan?!?!?! This is the Impala thread now.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Looks great, and it's nice they have something like this for MS. Since my 01 fully supports OBDII I use Torque Pro, but like you I also want to get a real water temperature gauge.

The adjuster left me a message yesterday saying my car should be done this week, or early next week.

2003 Baja 5MT

^^^ What the heck, Rodan?!?!?! This is the Impala thread now.

NOPE! This is the MIATA thread... even if a few other vehicles sneak in from time to time! :p

The adjuster left me a message yesterday saying my car should be done this week, or early next week.

So it could still make it to MRLS? Fingers crossed!! :D

And you live in California so you don't have to worry about winter conditions.

Here in Northern California we have a fairly distinct cool and rainy season. We don't have snow typically, but it's not really convertible friendly either.

2003 Baja 5MT

I was driving it around today and someone was nice enough to let me know I had a brake light out. Went to the auto parts store and picked a 2 pack of the Zevo LED's. I like these as they direct the light into the reflector bowl better than a norm LED bulb.

23686557868_0e43d2e8b6_b.jpg

IMG_20171006_140936 by christobal65, on Flickr

Here the left bulb is a Zevo and the right is an incandescent bulb. This is just the running lights. I didn't see much difference in the light output

36828978684_a7a6fb3c7f_b.jpg

IMG_20171006_140955 by christobal65, on Flickr

Here is the brake lights.

23686586698_49eb4a40a5_b.jpg

IMG_20171006_142610 by christobal65, on Flickr

2003 Baja 5MT

Looks good!

Not trying to rub it in, but the weather here at MRLS is perfect...

My wife had great time yesterday, her first time here, and first time really driving the NA. I was watching jealously from the passenger seat. Today, it's my turn. :D

Really not impressed with Trackmasters, though....

Looks good!

Not trying to rub it in, but the weather here at MRLS is perfect...

My wife had great time yesterday, her first time here, and first time really driving the NA. I was watching jealously from the passenger seat. Today, it's my turn. :D

Really not impressed with Trackmasters, though....

Yep it usually is perfect weather there this time of year.

I was pretty bummed yesterday since that was supposed to be my track day too. I just sat there looking at it wishing I was there.

Yeah trackmasters is interesting, but I'm kinda used to them as I've run most of my track time with them.

I'm looking forward to lots of great pics!

2003 Baja 5MT

Here's a couple...

Beauty shot

23706721848_64dcfe2a61_k.jpgDSC_1290 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Corkscrew

37527118382_a3ca40b71c_k.jpgDSC_1221 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

I forgot to turn my GoPro off after the first session, and it killed the battery videoing the pits. Charging it now for tomorrow.

Best of 1:54.5 so far, on a lap that wasn't clean... really hard to get a clean lap. I was hoping for high 1:40s, but I don't think that's going to happen. I've still got stock 1.6 brakes with SS lines and Hawk HPS pads, but they're just not up to the task. In retrospect, I should have gone with a more track oriented pad. Oops. Braking into 2 and 11 is... interesting... :lol:

Anyway, didn't expect to set any lap records, so no big deal. I knew brakes were the next project anyway.

Having a good time. I'll get more pics up and try to get a YT video up when I get home and have time to download and post process everything.

Yeah trying to get a clean lap is rough with the number of cars they put on the track. I'm just running stock 1.8 brakes with StopTech high performance pads. I'm a good 5-10 seconds a lap slower than you are so I don't typically have a problem. I'm starting to think it's time to step up to higher temp pads though.

2003 Baja 5MT

I've just spent some time reading a lot of this forum. Didn't realize there was a Miata thread on this forum. I've been a Miata owner (two NAs and one NC so far) since before my first Subaru in 20015. I wonder how many Subaru owners also drive Miatas.

welcome man from the future! :lol:

I've owned a Smurf NA and now a Galaxy Grey NC. I loved my NA and sold it because I was not using it as much. After a few months without a Miata I needed to get another one and bought a '06 GT. Love it as well for different reasons!

---

welcome man from the future! :lol:

I've owned a Smurf NA and now a Galaxy Grey NC. I loved my NA and sold it because I was not using it as much. After a few months without a Miata I needed to get another one and bought a '06 GT. Love it as well for different reasons!

Ha! I need a proofreader. When I owned my two NAs I loved them but both had been winter driven. I felt that I needed to start with a new car and so I gave myself a pre-retirement gift. I kept the '96 CR for a couple of years after buying the NC but I found that I wasn't driving it a lot. I knew I'd miss it but I let it go.

This summer, a friend loaned me his '96 to drive on a club tour and it brought back a lot of memories of the NAs. I have a real soft spot for the NA. Still, after 9 years with the NC, I can't say I'd go back to the NA as my only Miata.

1529756438_BusinessCardMiatas.thumb.jpg.059510a1249313b6ea347db30fe94cbb.jpg