LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

Xidas installed. I must be getting better at this; only 2.5hrs...

So far just a drive around the block to get it settled so I can take a base measurement. I'm already amazed by how plush they are for 800/500 spring rates. If I can get back in the garage tonight, I'll take a base measurement and do an initial adjustment tomorrow night and try to put a few miles on. I need to get the ride height set so I can get the alignment re-checked at the end of the week. Hopefully, I can figure out a base damping adjustment during the process.

I usually wouldn't make a big change right before an event, but I think even without being dialed in the Xidas will be better than the VMaxx... ;)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A better ECU.

I sat through the ECU/tuning seminar with Jeremy at Summer Camp, and asked several questions about the FM221. I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but there were a number of features MS3 is capable of that the FM221 isn't... IIRC at least one was sequential (coil on plug) ignition. I would consider it to be more equivalent to an MS2.

There was also some discussion on the Miataturbo forum that the guy behind the FM221 (in England) had initially ripped of DiY auto tune for the design of the boards after being a short lived distributor for them. I don't know if that was true, but where there's smoke, there's fire... and it seemed like quite a bit of smoke.

I'm really disappointed FM didn't go with MS as their 'new' ecu. I understand the reasons they didn't, but IMHO it was a poor decision, and the recent reduction in price leads me to believe they aren't selling that well.

well some of the features of the MS3Pro PnP aren't necessary to me as I can't easily make use of them and then convert back to stock for CA emissions. If the MS2 PnP supported 01-05 Miatas that's what I'd buy.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

That's great! He's not exactly been communicative with folks... I had to try three different email addresses before I finally got a response. And I never did get a response from him on a follow up question.

You should drive the Exploder down and take it out of his hide...

If you do come down on Sat/Sun, look me up and I'll take you out in the NA for a session. :D

With getting the refund I don't think I'll be down at all. Looks like my wife and I are going to Tahoe for a few days instead.

If I didn't get a refund I thought about asking to drive your car :lol:

2003 Baja 5MT

See it would have been perfect :lol:

It was a fleeting thought I never actually seriously considered. I know I'd have a hard time letting some "random" person take my car out on the track if positions were reversed. :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

So, first real drive on Xidas this morning... I've managed to change it from a happy puppy on oversteer to a snapping pit bull.... :lol:

Still have a bit of tuning to do! I have it scheduled for alignment on Monday, so once I'm sure the alignment is good I'll start tweaking. The numbers shouldn't have changed much, but I want to be sure before I start screwing around.

The good news is the setup is pretty amazing. Still can't believe how plush it is for the spring rates.

In other news, I was going to bid on a 2002 NB that's on a Copart auction in Phoenix. Hit in the front, but lots of good parts, including the VVT 1.8. Then I started looking at all the fees they charge... would have been around 50% of the $750 or so I would have been willing to pay for the car... NOPE. If it had a Torsen, I might have considered it...

No fooling around...that car is cherry.

It runs! :soap_box:

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek