LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After Chris' unfortunate experience last week, this thread needs some good...

So, after 6 years, the stars have finally aligned and this morning I ordered Xidas for the NA. I didn't think I'd be able to swing them before MRLS, but I'm going to do my best to get them installed for the trip. :D

Bonus good news: over the weekend I scored a square top manifold and a used RB header. I don't think I will get to those before MRLS... just won't have time to tune it properly. And I'm worried about sound on Friday... :p

After Chris' unfortunate experience last week, this thread needs some good...

So, after 6 years, the stars have finally aligned and this morning I ordered Xidas for the NA. I didn't think I'd be able to swing them before MRLS, but I'm going to do my best to get them installed for the trip. :D

Bonus good news: over the weekend I scored a square top manifold and a used RB header. I don't think I will get to those before MRLS... just won't have time to tune it properly. And I'm worried about sound on Friday... :p

Now that I'm done being giddy for you, that car is going to FLY on the track! Xidias and 150ish WHP in a 2200lb car sounds like a blast!

@ Chris, I think you should get a Chevy SS to replace your Miata.

I'd love a Chevy SS, but unfortunately it's well outside my budget. We're in contract with a builder at a development for a house so I cannot buy anything which would require a loan.

One of my thoughts is to take the money the insurance company gives me, add some of my savings, and wait until the house closes and then go find a NC Club Sport. I'm not sure I like the idea of a 18-20k Miata/track car though.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

IMHO, the NB2 is still the sweet spot for a dual purpose/track Miata. Best total package at the price point. Brake pads, roll bar, wheels/tires and suspension and you're ready to rock.

NC1s are getting cheap, but I wonder how much you're actually getting for your dollar at the bottom end right now. And NC parts are a little more expensive, as are tires/wheels/consumables. On the other side, the NC chassis/brakes are really good with decent suspension, and you can fit a LOT of tire under them.

Knowing what I know now, if I were starting over, it'd be an NB2.

On the subject of the SS, I saw one at the market the other day... some kind of orange/red color, looked NICE. I still love that car, but I've already got one too many giant truck payments... :lol:

One of my thoughts is to take the money the insurance company gives me, add some of my savings, and wait until the house closes and then go find a NC Club Sport. I'm not sure I like the idea of a 18-20k Miata/track car though.

That's probably your best bet. You have a second car already.

To the 18-20k track toy though, you tried the the cheap one though and it was miserable to get to the track. Might be worth getting something that you enjoying driving outside the track (aka NC).

Have you looked in older Corvettes or even older BMWs??

To the 18-20k track toy though, you tried the the cheap one though and it was miserable to get to the track. Might be worth getting something that you enjoying driving outside the track (aka NC).

But he's got the tow vehicle now... ;)

In all seriousness, the NC is a good choice and will only be slightly more expensive to track than an NA/NB. And it will be faster stock.

Even though C5's have a good reputation for reliability and can be bought cheap, they will be an order of magnitude more expensive to track than any Miata. And after my C6 experience, I would never want to track one that I was trying to keep nice for the street.

The point of the cheaper Miata was to have something I could walk away from if I crashed it on the track. Once I cross about 10k in car value track day insurance is something that should be seriously considered.

Not too interested in BMW and consumables for Corvettes is just silly expensive compared to a NC.

But he's got the tow vehicle now... ;)

In all seriousness, the NC is a good choice and will only be slightly more expensive to track than an NA/NB. And it will be faster stock.

Yeah I figure if I do an NC it'd have to stay stock longer as I'd be starting over from scratch as nothing I have from the NA/NB will fit.

Of course all of this is conjuncture as I don't even know if it for sure being totaled. It's going in for an estimate on Wednesday morning.

Edited by Chris GTO TT

2003 Baja 5MT

Estimate from the adjuster says they think there's only $2600 in total damage to the car and they want to try to fix it. However they said they wouldn't know for sure if until the rear bumper comes off whey they start the work.

2003 Baja 5MT

I had my dad take it in this morning, so all I know for now is what my dad told me on the phone. He also took it to the body shop we'd likely have complete the work and according to my dad he said it was a good estimate. I'm going to look at the paperwork tonight and probably make arrangements for the next steps tomorrow.

2003 Baja 5MT

I had my dad take it in this morning, so all I know for now is what my dad told me on the phone. He also took it to the body shop we'd likely have complete the work and according to my dad he said it was a good estimate. I'm going to look at the paperwork tonight and probably make arrangements for the next steps tomorrow.

Tell 'em to pull it straight, remove or cut off anything that will get in the way of driving, align it and take it to MRLS!

They can make it pretty later... ;)

Haha. The biggest thing I'd have to figure out is how to mount a tail light.

I got home and looked over the paper work. They are only including 3 hours of labor to fix the rear panel behind the bumper cover between the tail lights. From what I'm being told our body shop friend said that likely wasn't enough time to repair the damage.

2003 Baja 5MT

Since I live in the mountains, I've only been able to tune up to the 85 kPa cells on my Megasquirt. This wasn't really an issue for FM Summer Camp, because Grand Junction is at essentially the same altitude. Laguna Seca, however is at sea level, or about as close as you can get to it.

So early this morning I loaded the NA in the trailer and towed it about 140 miles to the lowest altitude (1250ft) within any kind of reasonable driving distance where I could do some full throttle runs without getting arrested. Atmospheric was ~94kPa there, as opposed to ~85kPa where I live, so I was able to dial in all but the top row of my VE table (105kPa). I feel comfortable extrapolating that one for the first sessions at MRLS.

The joys of living in the mountains and running sea level trackdays with a standalone... :p

On the irritating side, my new truck has a tank that holds ~5 gal less fuel than the previous truck. At 11mpg, it makes a significant difference in total range. I'm definitely going to need a larger tank. Fortunately, they make one, which will increase my fuel load by 20gal. Unfortunately, it's $1200... time for more overtime... :D

our old work van...dodge...had a 35 gallon tank and we thought that was a lot. But mpg was slightly better than you towing.

50 gallons at 11mpg...seems reasonable to upgrade.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek