LegacyGT.com

Words cannot describe the awesome - Volume-2 (CLOSED)

SBT

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The picture above looks like many of the Vandenberg launches we would observe from San Diego, nearly 300 miles south of the launch site.

Our whole family was at the launch of STS-107, Columbia's mission, on 1/16/2003 and were deeply saddened when we observed it disintegrating over the Southwest on 2/1/2003. If you've never been to a launch it's an amazing experience. You never quite forget the power, majesty and excitement of the event.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The picture above looks like many of the Vandenberg launches we would observe from San Diego, nearly 300 miles south of the launch site.

Our whole family was at the launch of STS-107, Columbia's mission, on 1/16/2003 and were deeply saddened when we observed it disintegrating over the Southwest on 2/1/2003. If you've never been to a launch it's an amazing experience. You never quite forget the power, majesty and excitement of the event.

I remember watching that on CNN, horrible disaster. Unfortunately i have never experienced a Space Shuttle launch in person, I am going to KSC this summer, they have Falcon 9 launch, actually in two weeks they are launching the Atlas v401 at Vandenberg. I really hope I get to experience an actual shuttle launch and enjoy the view of 37 million horse power :D. I did see a bunch of fighter jet take offs during my co op and had the opportunity to ride in a F/A-18-F and F15, great experiences.

I remember watching the challenger disaster in school. Luckily we were so young we didn't understand what was going on and the teacher just turned off the tube.

I took a few hours off that morning from work to watch the Challenger mission launch with my oldest daughter. It was also her birthday and, at the time, she wanted to go into the space program. When the flight exploded, we both just looked at each other in shocked grief.

While we were together in FL to watch the Columbia mission launch, we were outside in separate geographic locations watching the reentry. When we saw Columbia's debris raining down, she called me in tears. It had reminded her of watching Challenger's loss almost 17 years before to the day. Both sad events, both have left indelible marks on our family.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived