LegacyGT.com

cobb ap v2 vs infamous opensource, which?

Laverne

Not necessarily true. I am tuned opensource right now and the only reason I plan to pick up a AP is because I will be running more than 1 map. I live in Nebraska and E85 is very prominent here but when I travel I need to switch back to to gas. I will have 4 CUSTOM maps loaded on my AP and not OTS tunes. I know I could lug my laptop with me everywhere and flash when I need to but the AP fits in my glove box and I don't always have my laptop with me.

Correct. I guess it's just preference. Just the $500 though..that's money for a new Intercooler!

Correct. I guess it's just preference. Just the $500 though..that's money for a new Intercooler!

That is very true. For my situation I don't need one. I am running a full STI swap with a few goodies. :icon_chee

Cant you buy a netbook nowadays that will fit in the glovebox? That, plus a power inverter, means you would always have the ability to flash your car.

I could buy a netbook and a power inverter but then I would have to pull the netbook out, pull the power inverter if I needed to, boot it up... Yeah I know I'm making it sound more of a pain than it really is.

The simplicity of able to just plug in one device and flash over my customs maps sounds better than hassling with any kind of netbook/laptop with power inverter. It is smaller which leaves more room in my glovebox for other things, and I can do a little logging with it. Otherwise I have a dedicated laptop for my car just not small enough to store anyway inside.

Why buy an AP to get a custom tune, when you can just skip the entire AP part? But I can definitely understand wanting to have a small, simple, and unique device that does everything fairly easy and is pretty straightforward. I think it comes down to disposable income! I would rather invest that money into +5hp decals and park bench spoilers!

Cant you buy a netbook nowadays that will fit in the glovebox? That, plus a power inverter, means you would always have the ability to flash your car.
I have a dedicated netbook for tuning/logging and an inverter. Was still cheaper than a new AP and I went with the Tactrix Cable and have had 3 tunes for less than the $595 an AP costs. When I go E85 I still won't go AP - just flash at the station from the netbook if changing fuel types.

The one thing I will be adding is a switch for the green test connectors to avoid that step for quick flashes.

list

http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_54_60&products_id=115

http://store.mp3car.com/Xenarc_700IDT_In_Dash_7_inch_Touch_Screen_VGA_p/mon-017.htm

http://www.meritline.com/slim-bluetooth-keyboard-for-htpc-auto-pc-smart-phone---p-95447.aspx?source=fghdac&gclid=COzJ-fGfgrUCFcyf4AodaQcAYQ

A vag-com cable with long usb extension, long usb cord, and long vga cable

Then setup the laptop to turn on from usb input, so you can touch the screen and it turns on. Then hook up the powersupply behind glovebox or install extra cig lighter with car adapter for your laptop back there and make sure it turns of with ignition. Then run all the wires through center console under passenger seat. Viola car workstation for all your tuning needs! Touch the screen for your mouse, or use your handy remote keyboard for typing. Works well. And if you did the 07-08 radio swap, you can just run the audio out and usb out to run your sound into radio aux, and the usb for hooking up whatever, music on mp3 stick or your phone or whatever. Was a lot cheaper than I thought.

Not getting the AP for a custom tune but because i will be switching maps on the fly it would be easier than lugging my laptop and stuff around. On the other hand if you are only needing one custom tune and not switching between fuel type I think opensource is the way to go.

Besides ease of use, it's great knowing its always in the car. I drive an hour to see a friend or family and I throw a CEL... I know I have it. I can check and clear the code... Log... Monitor.... Etc

All very possible with a laptop. If you keep it in the car. Even my netbook is a bit large for the glove compartment though.

Besides ease of use, it's great knowing its always in the car. I drive an hour to see a friend or family and I throw a CEL... I know I have it. I can check and clear the code... Log... Monitor.... Etc

All very possible with a laptop. If you keep it in the car. Even my netbook is a bit large for the glove compartment though.

Off topic but dang it I just noticed the group buy for baby onsies.

Archived