LegacyGT.com

They call me the destroyer of piston #4 (Rebuild time)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ya I always fear those damn cams. I just rebuilt my buddys 07 sti with pretty much my same build and thankfully this time they came off easier. Hes on motor #3 like me but he only has 44k miles. Ringland broke at 40. Subaru replaced under warranty. Then the headgasket blew 1200 miles later.

Ya I always fear those damn cams. I just rebuilt my buddys 07 sti with pretty much my same build and thankfully this time they came off easier. Hes on motor #3 like me but he only has 44k miles. Ringland broke at 40. Subaru replaced under warranty. Then the headgasket blew 1200 miles later.

Headgaskets were probably installed incorrectly. Man my engine is getting rebuilt as we speak. I hope and pray that they have carefully followed the right procedure to put the heads back together.

So far so good no hiccups at all. And not a single leak to speak of unlike motor #1 . Even with the forged pistons this one doesnt burn any noticable oil. I believe I have a little over 3k miles on it now. Had my 20g on for about 700 miles

Running! I'm in the process of braking in the engine. having a little valve noise it was louder before but it's calmed down. 70 miles in.

Congratulations! I got mine back 1.5 week ago. Drove 350 miles since. I only got my heads rebuilt. Engine sounds much quieter too.

Congratulations! I got mine back 1.5 week ago. Drove 350 miles since. I only got my heads rebuilt. Engine sounds much quieter too.

Congratulations to you too. but did your valves make some noise at first and now run quieter? cause when I did my block I did the heads to so I would have a 0 mile engine.

^ thanks. My valve train was definitely noisier prior to getting my valve clearance issue fixed. However, the fact that my timing belt tensioner failed last year while driving probably did not help either :mad:. In any case, valves were not bent, not burnt either, just tight clearance on the driver side. Had to get 8 new buckets and refreshed the heads/valves. Took that opportunity to replace my oil pick up tube with a killerb and TOB with a TSK3 kit.

I honestly think its the number 4 injector and maybe the fuel pump. Or just simply I have bad luck with the shortblock.

could be somehting like that also AVO JDM sells those parallel fuel rails that get fuel symmetrically

• 4 weeks later...
Didn't see this thread before I did my engine but I'm glad I did not go with the EJ257 block since the pistons could still let go... I ended up with the CP 100mm pistons because of the damage #4 caused on the wall.

Good choice, that's all you needed.

Archived