LegacyGT.com

They call me the destroyer of piston #4 (Rebuild time)

I forget, are you running equal length headers? (btw, I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat---getting misfire on #4 only once so far but crappy idle when cold...fun)

I'm running uel borla header, magnaflow cat, cobb catted dp,cobb uncatted up, K&N Typhoon,GFB BOV 50/50. stage 2 93 oct OTS cobb Map, stock turbo and injectors. But i believe this happend before i modded the car. i was driving to bj's and bumped into a infinity G35 we did a quarter mile WOT on the eastchester bridge half way in it a felt a jolt. like it lost power but for a millisecond but then it was fine. then the oil lose started and it got worse and worse now it's like a quart every 700 miles.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weren't you getting any misfire cells? Rough idle when cold? How much was your oil consumption? Man 48k :eek:

:confused: wouldn't know i didn't have an ap at the time and i was stock. it started with one quart every 1000 miles and no rough idle when cold and i warm up my car with the remote starter.

So HellShadow70, you also have a busted ringland on #4? Rebuilding your engine or just brand new shortblock?

Rebuild, a short block is over kill for a 5eat and money i don't have. Ive read some story's on this forum about short block rebuilds and there not that great especially the new blocks.

Rebuild, a short block is over kill for a 5eat and money i don't have. Ive read some story's on this forum about short block rebuilds and there not that great especially the new blocks.

So which pistons are you going to use and how much will it cost you to rebuild your block?

07+ pistons equal poop in my opinion

:lol:

Talk with the machine shop, my buddy told me he can't rebuild mine for equal $$$$ as a new OEM EJ257. If I wanted a built short block he could do that. But for stock, just go with a EJ257.

Also make sure you have a great tune. I have over 12,000 miles on mine.

I took him the new EJ257 and my old long block. He rebuilt the heads, cleaned everything, assembled the new long block with oil pan and timing belt. $1200.

The EJ257 and gasket set was $2100.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

New ej257 shortblock ~$1800-2000

Rebuild shortblock with just forged pistons and bearings ~$900-1100 if you do it yourself machine work included.

Of course theres always the stay stock stay happy because it isnt just throw forged pistons in and boom its indestructable. The cylinder walls are gonna be torn up due to the larger clearances when cold.

• 3 weeks later...

The spark plugs all looked the exact same. One of my buddies looked at them and said theres no way you have a dead cylinder.

And as far as the rebuild goes i have 250 miles on it so far and so far so good. Makes a bit of noise when cold due to the bigger clearances. But other than that it started on the first crank after i built some oil pressure.

Heres what i put in:

CP 8.2compression 99.5mm forged pistons

Acl main bearings

Acl rod bearings

New gasket set

Spark plugs

KillerB oil pick up

Perrin lwcp

Perrin turbo inlet (been sitting for over a year so finally took advantage on the motor being out)

Infamous full turbo oil feed kit

Broken in with rotella T6 i believe is which one it was (the non synthetic of course)

That's how mine looked like after 60k: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/check-out-my-spark-plugs-pleasei-200916.html

I pulled them last Saturday. I have a brand new injector on #4, new spark plugs, swapped coil packs. Still getting misfire on #4. Sooooo yeah, it sucks.

But I would doubt I have a busted ringland since the spark plug was dry...You never know though until I find a place that can do a proper compression and leak down tests.

There was a small amount of carbon buildup on all 4 pistons with 6k miles on them. Nothing out of the ordinary tho.

Cp pistons $600

Bearings $110

Gasket set$200

Forgot to add arp head studs $170

Plugs. $50

Fujibond. $30

Oil/coolant$50

Machine work (bore/hone, polish crank, and gap rings) $140

So that makes $1210 if i did that math correctly for the bare basics of the rebuild.

Adding

Oil pick up. $170

Perrin lwcp $100

Oil feed. $220

Inlet/hoses $150

Totals out to $1850

Ya a compression test is usually the easiest to see if there is actually an issue. Then the leak down pin points it. It sucks that its so hard for you to find a place to do it cuz the compression gauge i have was 30 bucks from the local parts store.

And you are in France now or???

That's right my man. With the OBXT too :eek:. We'll be back towards the end of this year hopefully with the car as well. And of course I have to get this misfire business before returning :mad:.

Hard to find help over here. Very small French Subaru community and they are mostly acquainted with the EJ20X turboed imprezas. As soon as I mention I have an outback turbo, they are like :confused:. So I am on my own..

• 2 months later...

Engine block is at the machine shop getting bored and honed for CP pistons 99.5mm 8.5 compression. while trying to loosen the cam bolts we cracked a head :eek::ohhh::nono::soap_box::rtfm::argue: so I got another passenger side head from a friend, machined and ready to go. The other head is at the same machine shop that did the head I bought. and we broke both inner timing covers, what a pain in the nut sack.

parts list.

NKG iridium lX plugs stock#6619

STI 11mm oil pump

killer B Oil pickup

ACL rod and main bearings standard

gates racing timing belt kit no pump

PCV Valve

STI thermostat

red line assembly lube

subaru fujibond engine sealer

From Infamous Performance & Tuning Thanks Msprank

subaru overhaul gasket kit