LegacyGT.com

Oil consumption driving me nuts!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I definitely plan to do that. Was looking at an Invidia up pipe, however if I come across an STi one for a good deal I'll get that one. I'm just waiting for the warranty company to confrim that they are covering the repairs. They want to send the inspector back again Monday now that the pistons are out. Once I know I have the engine covered, then I'm going to piece together what I need for stage 2.5 (or is it stage 3 if I get a BNR 16g).

• I Donated
I definitely plan to do that. Was looking at an Invidia up pipe, however if I come across an STi one for a good deal I'll get that one. I'm just waiting for the warranty company to confrim that they are covering the repairs. They want to send the inspector back again Monday now that the pistons are out. Once I know I have the engine covered, then I'm going to piece together what I need for stage 2.5 (or is it stage 3 if I get a BNR 16g).

Just post a Wtb thread on Nasioc, I got one on there for 50 bucks

So after almost 2 weeks, having an inspector from the warranty company come out twice, we finally got approval from the warranty company...and they included the turbo! :woowoo: So we have ordered the short block, 16g, along with the necessary items for the short block (gasket kit, head studs, oil pump, gates timing kit, coolant, new thermostats, etc) and I also ordered the stage 3 items, some gauges, and decided to go with the infamous e-tune. I'm very relieved to have the approval because you hear the horror stories of warranty companies not honoring the warranty, but these guys wound up being more than fair. I'm also excited to get the car up and running and will have some pics and once the car is well broken in, I'm going to get a dyno to see where she will be at :) As much as it sucked to have the engine crap out, it may turn out for the best. I'm definitely going to take care of the car...I'll have my fun, but with care.

Congrats! That is great news.

Usually expect the worse when it comes to warranties.

Sounds like you should come out with a much better car than what you started with.

Thanks! Yeah, big relief and in the end it's going to be like a new car :) I'm really looking forward to getting the car back and hoping that will be it for the break downs, it should be.

• 1 month later...

Can somebody remind me of some of the ways oil finds itself into the intercooler? Or a better link to explain it?

I've read that a little bit is to be expected, and I've also read (I believe) that something regarding the pcv valve or something could cause oil to blow into the IC? I can't remember exactly, there's been a few things I've read... I'm in the process of forming a game plan on a few things, and I'll be removing my IC soon, to replace with a BP/IC and at the same time will probably replace the PCV valve, and I'd LOVE to inspect the turbo as well.

And I just read some mention about the "HOT Side" of the turbo going into the downpipe showing some gunk/wetness (Oil) Is that the side of the turbo that would reflect any possible oil breaches or leaks? Just some things I'm narrowing down for future inspection (05 LGT 99k miles)

I would stay away from synthetics if I were you. My '05 which I bought brand new started consuming oil after I did 7000 mile oil change.. I did the Mobil 1 5W-20 I believe and it immediately started consuming oil at a rate of about a quart about every 800 miles... Soon after that went back to conventional castrol GTX and consumption was cut down down to around a quart every 1500 miles which is somewhat typical on forced induction subaru motors (of which I have 3). Hope this helps.

I'm gonna call Shenanigans on this one. :mad: I bought my 2005 LGT new and switched to synthetic at 5,000 miles and change it every 5,000 miles.

I am now at 45k miles and do not even use 1/2 Qt by the time my next 5k oil interval comes around.

Sorry, but I do not buy into the "Synthetic oil is dangerous" myth.

I'm gonna call Shenanigans on this one. :mad: I bought my 2005 LGT new and switched to synthetic at 5,000 miles and change it every 5,000 miles.

I am now at 45k miles and do not even use 1/2 Qt by the time my next 5k oil interval comes around.

Sorry, but I do not buy into the "Synthetic oil is dangerous" myth.

Me either :lol:

99k miles, and been using Syn since day one. August 2005

Can somebody remind me of some of the ways oil finds itself into the intercooler? Or a better link to explain it?

I've read that a little bit is to be expected, and I've also read (I believe) that something regarding the pcv valve or something could cause oil to blow into the IC? I can't remember exactly, there's been a few things I've read... I'm in the process of forming a game plan on a few things, and I'll be removing my IC soon, to replace with a BP/IC and at the same time will probably replace the PCV valve, and I'd LOVE to inspect the turbo as well.

And I just read some mention about the "HOT Side" of the turbo going into the downpipe showing some gunk/wetness (Oil) Is that the side of the turbo that would reflect any possible oil breaches or leaks? Just some things I'm narrowing down for future inspection (05 LGT 99k miles)

The turbo seals can cause oil consumption if you have a leak there, and I guess you wouldn't see smoke coming out of the exhaust. That's what I took away from here. The PCV valve can cause excessive build up into the IC, if it gets sludged up or clogged...I have seen on here that it's common. Definitely replace it once you have the IC off, it's not an expensive part. If you take yours off and hear no noise when you shake it, it's bad. That will definitely give you excessive blow-by. An AOS (air oil separator) like the one from grimmspeed will help, but somehow I feel that on a stock car all that does is just mask an actual problem. Subaru engineered the car to not need one in stock form (lol, giving some faith to them there).

As for the oil argument, what would make the Legacy GT so special that synthetic causes oil consumption on it while German cars can run it with no consumption? Someone had one bad experience, blamed it on the oil, and somehow it became 'fact'. Subaru puts synthetic oil in it from the factory, Day One, so it can't possibly be wrong. I'm going to run about 1500-2000 miles natural Castrol 5w30, and then switch to Rotella T6 with BG MOA (great additive). The main reason for natural oil for the first couple thousand miles was to allow better break in. The oil should technically be less 'slippery' to allow for better ring seating. Really, I probably would have been completely fine with T6 from day one, but I guess going natural oil for a bit is a little better. The only exception I would think is if you're running natural oil for 80,000 miles and decide to go synthetic (or 80k synthetic and then go natural). You may get issues then since that may affect your seals.

The turbo seals can cause oil consumption if you have a leak there, and I guess you wouldn't see smoke coming out of the exhaust. That's what I took away from here. The PCV valve can cause excessive build up into the IC, if it gets sludged up or clogged...I have seen on here that it's common. Definitely replace it once you have the IC off, it's not an expensive part. If you take yours off and hear no noise when you shake it, it's bad. That will definitely give you excessive blow-by. An AOS (air oil separator) like the one from grimmspeed will help, but somehow I feel that on a stock car all that does is just mask an actual problem. Subaru engineered the car to not need one in stock form (lol, giving some faith to them there).

As for the oil argument, what would make the Legacy GT so special that synthetic causes oil consumption on it while German cars can run it with no consumption? Someone had one bad experience, blamed it on the oil, and somehow it became 'fact'. Subaru puts synthetic oil in it from the factory, Day One, so it can't possibly be wrong. I'm going to run about 1500-2000 miles natural Castrol 5w30, and then switch to Rotella T6 with BG MOA (great additive). The main reason for natural oil for the first couple thousand miles was to allow better break in. The oil should technically be less 'slippery' to allow for better ring seating. Really, I probably would have been completely fine with T6 from day one, but I guess going natural oil for a bit is a little better. The only exception I would think is if you're running natural oil for 80,000 miles and decide to go synthetic (or 80k synthetic and then go natural). You may get issues then since that may affect your seals.

Appreciate the response! :)

Yea totally hear ya on the Bad experience = fact :lol: I'm at 100k miles on synthetic, I'll stick with it lol.

And yea I really wonder about the current state of my PCV valve, I'll def be replacing it once the IC comes off. And the only reason I know there's oil in the IC is because the endtank has began to separate (Reason for IC replacement) and where the breach is, I can see the slight "Wetness/Haze" of oil where the leak is.

Said Leak:

IMAG1326.thumb.jpg.cd45485f3b07d3236093824434700b00.jpg

Archived