LegacyGT.com

BRZ AWD Option

JVranicar

Who isnt making a motor at least similar to the one in this car? What makes it so great? What makes the BRZ cost the same price as a Focus ST. handling and dynamics aside, the focus is a far superior car in terms of interior quality, comfort, usability, and technology. Im sure ford put their time/$ in on the focus since they managed to make a fwd handle like it does. reviews all come back completely positive.

there you go, you said it, focus will not be as fun to drive :spin:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a little off topic but. . . My cousin bought an FR-S as his DD. I was very hyped about the FR-s/BRZ and was considering it as a possible future investment, until I went and saw his.

Now I do understand the concept of this car, lightweight and great on a track, but I would find it very difficult to spend the money they are asking for it. Its has a fairly spartan interior and you really dont get a whole lot of car for the money, the rear seats a all but completely unusable, my cousins 5'-2" gf's head touches the roof. I mean what really costs so much in this car to make the base 25.5k? Its not like they are using some exotic material to build it. Its a 6spd thats used in half the cars on the planet, including the V6 camaro and CTS, a torsen diff, and a fairly standard 2L motor. It handles well, and people are willing to pay for it.

RWD > FWD no matter how smart your differential is

Thats the case im trying to make, its rwd and people want to throw their cash at subaru for it, so they overcharge. I was simply using the Focus to show that there are cars that should cost more, and for good reason, but dont. I personally would never buy the focus unless it became rwd/awd

I like the Focus, it's a possible future contender to replace the Legacy GT when that time comes as I can only really have 1 car at a time at the moment (apartment complex) just on its practicality, tech, and handling (for a FWD car).

If I had 30K to spend on a 2nd car, I'd pick up a BRZ or Mustang GT to toss around the track.

• I Donated
I like the Focus, it's a possible future contender to replace the Legacy GT when that time comes as I can only really have 1 car at a time at the moment (apartment complex) just on its practicality, tech, and handling (for a FWD car).

If I had 30K to spend on a 2nd car, I'd pick up a BRZ or Mustang GT to toss around the track.

If I had 30k to spend on a 2nd car, I'd buy a beater for rallyX and mod the LGT

If I had 30k to spend on a 2nd car, I'd buy a beater for rallyX and mod the LGT

Good point. I'd likely buy something used anyway.

Probably pick up a used BRZ for 15K as I'm thinking the price will probably drop rather quickly once the initial demand has died down.

I liked the Focus too. The ford MySync or whatever was very cool. Great seats, awesome motor(dont tell me you dont want a 2.0L DI turbo) and its a hatchback.

I supposed I'm just annoyed cause i do like the BRZ, I just don't like how its priced and therefore wouldn't buy it. The overall Price/Awesome ratio is not where i feel it should be. Other people feel different which is why they buy them.

Seriously though, if your looking for a track car, a C5Z would do an epic job. a sub 30000 mile Z06 can be had for low $20's. I even found one with 15k miles for 22000 on cars.com

I am curious how it gets so expensive too, or rather what their true cost to manufacture them is, but then again a Miata is ~24K for a base car

I guess another way of looking at it is how is the Focus ST so cheap?

What makes a base 370Z 8-9K more expensive?

I think pretty much every BR-Z review should basically say:

Do you like taking your car to the track or would like to start? Buy a BR-Z

If not, then keep looking

I seem to come across a lot of buyers remorse for new owners of the car due to its low power who don't take it to the track.

I am curious how it gets so expensive too, or rather what their true cost to manufacture them is, but then again a Miata is ~24K for a base car

I suspect a lot of the cost has to do with development costs. The Focus ST is basically slightly customized version of car that Ford will sell literally millions of. That's a huge base to amortize development costs over.

The BRZ is a completely new platform, that will likely not see high volumes. Even at 24k, I'd bet Subaru and Toyota will lose a small amount of money overall on the development.

What makes a base 370Z 8-9K more expensive?

I think pretty much every BR-Z review should basically say:

Do you like taking your car to the track or would like to start? Buy a BR-Z

If not, then keep looking

I seem to come across a lot of buyers remorse for new owners of the car due to its low power who don't take it to the track.

Well i mean the 370Z is a nicer car, with a significantly more potent motor, so I can understand that. A GT Mustang or Camaro SS with leather would come in around the same. But i have to agree with your comment about the BRZ reviews. I suppose if your job is to test drive cars and flog them all day, then you might forget that someone actually has to pay money and live with it on a day to day basis.

A big part of the price of these different cars has to do with where they are manufactured. The Yen is really strong compared to the US dollar, so any car that is manufactured in Japan is at a cost disadvantage right now. I have been reading most of the Japanese manufacturers are scrambling to move more manufacturing to North America as fast as they can.

That being said, I don't know where the BRZ, 370Z or Miata are made.

In the last lightning lap drivers said they felt although they could use more power out of the BRZ, what really was lacking was brake performance. (...and tires)

I have not driven one yet, but I think they have priced it a bit high. Development costs aside it's right in there with the WRX which gets you AWD/turbo. For ~2k more you can get a 128i. Subaru/toyota obviously feel this is a car that will bring a profit margin and have priced it accordingly.

I think there is to be a new Miata sometime soon. With every Genisis/miata/BRZ track test going on, you can be sure that the next versions of those cars will be more competitive on the track and with sticker price.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

• I Donated
http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2013-subaru-brz-vs-2012-honda-civic-si-hfp-2165.html

Nothing like your weekend track car getting matched by a fwd car costing a few grand less.

Actually, the Honda costs $600 more than a base BRZ...

Also, if you spent that $600 on good summer tires for the BRZ, that would doubtless push it ahead significantly. The article complained about the BRZ's "Prius-spec all-seasons."

• I Donated
Actually, the Honda costs $600 more than a base BRZ...

Also, if you spent that $600 on good summer tires for the BRZ, that would doubtless push it ahead significantly. The article complained about the BRZ's "Prius-spec all-seasons."

Common misconception, those are actually summer tires. They are from the sport package you can get in japan on the prius

Archived