LegacyGT.com

The wife is trying to wear the pants!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no she won't. i learned how to drive a manual in about 30 minutes, and then went to testdrive many MANY cars without any problem.

QFT, you may jerk and sputter from time to time and may be a bit rough just getting started, but it won't break the tranny if you're not an idiot about it.

If anything you'll put a teensy bit extra wear on the clutch.

That is what I keep telling her. She is starting to warm up to the idea of learning to drive a 5MT. I think I am going to compromise on the Wagon to get the 5MT. Now if I can get a price around $26K I think she will really go for it. I

Anyone know how I can stop getting emails to my yahoo account from this forum? My wife saw them and asked me what they were from. All I need is for her to see this post and what little nuts I have left she will surly stomp on them!!!

Now that you decided on what your getting, try to get the dealer to get you better tires - the stock tires are just terrible. Some will say they're just ok, but if your paying almost $30K - why ruin the experience with crap tires. I regret not listening to the few people back last summer that were asking their dealers for better tires -I survived 10 miserble months with those tires.

Anyone know how I can stop getting emails to my yahoo account from this forum? My wife saw them and asked me what they were from. All I need is for her to see this post and what little nuts I have left she will surly stomp on them!!!

You have to go to your profile, and edit the options for email.

Shit man, I would've cut my losses with that relationship quicker than I did with my stock tires. :lol: :lol:

I'm a sedan guy, but I'd gladly get the wagon as a tradeoff for getting the 5MT if necessary. If it's going to be your car, draw a line in the sand about the MT, and act like you're making a huge sacrifice by getting the wagon (not really that huge of a sacrifice in my opinion). BTW, I don't know if you're aware that the rear seats don't fold down on the sedan.

When you get the MT, get her to practice on it early and often. My wife, with very limited MT experience, had a good attitude about driving my A4 when I first got it, and she did fine. However, over time, she didn't drive it very often, and eventually somehow decided she couldn't drive a stick. It took a lot of argument and tears (hers) to get her back in the saddle, but she did fine again. She still will hardly ever drive my car (either A4 or LGT) in the city, though.

Friends don't let friends use Potenzas.

"Potenza" covers a lot of tires. The RE92's are not the greatest, but the S-02's and S-03's (also in the Potenza family) I ran on my A4 were fantastic, especially in the wet. They might even be the best wet-performance tires on the road.

If you can make a deal with the dealer to get better tires, go for it, but the RE92's are not the end of the world, IMO. They are infinitely better than the crap all-season Continentals that came stock on my A4. I plan on upgrading the tires on my LGT, but I think I'll wait until I'm ready to upgrade the suspension.

Also, if you live in the snow belt, be aware that high-performance tires may not be any good in the snow, depending on what you get. I just about killed myself a few times by waiting one day too long to swap out the above-mentioned S-02's for snow tires.

A Legacy can't do this:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/boxxerace/down-the-mnt-BIG.jpg

True! The Legacy has a lower center of gravity, though, and will stay flatter in twisty corners. I'll take the Legacy personally, but there's no question that the Outback XT is a very cool car. You should choose based your personal needs and preferences, but get on the stick (no pun intended) fast if you want a 5MT Legacy wagon.

That is what I keep telling her. She is starting to warm up to the idea of learning to drive a 5MT. I think I am going to compromise on the Wagon to get the 5MT. Now if I can get a price around $26K I think she will really go for it. I

That's exactly what my recommendation would be. If you HAVE to take the wagon, then it HAS to have the 5MT. There, you've compromised, now get that 5MT Wagon.

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would want a wagon though. It's more balanced weight-wise front to rear, it handles as well as or better than the sedan in stock or other disguise, it is the hotness when lowered even slightly with larger wheels, it's got much more useable space inside, it's got much more useable space outside, MPG is essentially the same, vehicle to vehicle, and it's probably a bit cheaper to insure than the Sedan. ;)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The wagon is much less likely to get dumped vs a sedan if the family expands. Much more usable.

I feel fortunate that my wife one picked out the LGT Base wagon 5 speed on her own without any of my input except just try a Subaru. I did not even go to the dealer for test drive although she brought the GT home for me to try since she wanted.

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would want a wagon though. It's more balanced weight-wise front to rear, it handles as well as or better than the sedan in stock or other disguise, it is the hotness when lowered even slightly with larger wheels, it's got much more useable space inside, it's got much more useable space outside, MPG is essentially the same, vehicle to vehicle, and it's probably a bit cheaper to insure than the Sedan. ;)

All lies!! Why would you want something that looks like this?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/Wet.jpg

Luckily my wife and I both drive stick, and both prefer the sedan.

For sedan, hafta go Legacy on 18's and lowered a bit. Red Beast's car may be cool, but no tall sedan for me.

But, I honestly do think that if I needed the extra space of the wagon, I would go with a slightly lowered Outback XT, much like drewster's. But it would have to be one of the monochrome colors, where the body and the lower cladding are the same color. I'm not a fan of the two-tone stuff.

The only bad part is that while the 06 Outback XT still comes with the manual trans, unlike the 06 Legacy GT wagon, it doesn't get a black interior at all, no matter what exterior color. I believe that 05 OBXTs had the choice. Man, a Legacy/OB customer can't win for losing with SOA in 2006.

Anyway, good luck, and if you get the manual trans you want, regardless of bodystyle, you'll probably enjoy the car quite alot.

If you are near Charleston go buy one of these for $28K before it is too late at http://www.vikingsubaru.com/en_US/

2 matches found. Vehicles 1 to 2 shown. Yearhttp://www.motorplace.com/pool/inventory/inventory.down.live.gif Make Model TransmissionMSRPExteriorPhoto2005 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. Wagon Manual$31,918Obsidian Black Pearlhttp://images.cobaltgroup.com/5/2/6/127340625.jpgVIN: 4S4BP67C156371093 2005 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. Wagon Manual$31,565Obsidian Black Pearlhttp://images.cobaltgroup.com/5/2/6/127340625.jpg

We could be twins! :D

The wife is trying to wear the pants!!

That's OK, it just means you get to have fun taking her pants off again...and again. I try to keep my wife out of her pants as much as possible. It's a renewable resource! :)

As for the sedan/wagon and 5MT/Auto decision...no brainer, get the 5MT Wagon for the win! I absolutely love my Regal Blue Pearl 5MT Wagon Limited, and the sunroof goes all the way into the back seat (kids love it). Plus I like the look of the Wagon better personally, it is more of a sleeper, and the extra cargo room is always useful (and seats fold down!). I think the insurance is even slightly cheaper if I recall. Basically, the wagon can do everything the sedan can do but with more room. And you can more easily manage the wife/pants issue in the back of the wagon (bonus!).

You better move fast to nab a 2005 Legacy GT 5MT Wagon Limited though. You should be able to find one for around $25K to $26K after all rebates and stuff (i.e. from an MSRP of $30,000 to $31,500ish). There are no 2006 5MT Wagons unless you get an Outback (which is another $1K-2K in price).

Martyr

Archived