LegacyGT.com

The wife is trying to wear the pants!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stand firm on the things that really matter to you (MT) and offer to compromize on the things that don't (wagon vs. sedan).

From the driver's seat looking forward you won't notice a difference with the wagon. Look up and you'll see a huge sunroof. Head to the back and you'll be able to fit a lot more stuff. Look on the sticker and the price may be a bit higher. Those are the only significant differences with the wagon.

Maybe I'm biased but it seems like the stigma associated with wagons is going away. The various wagons and hatchbacks coming from Europe and Japan, not to mention the Dodge Magnum, seem to reflect a change of heart when it comes to wagons. Maybe it was the SUV trend but people seem to appreciate the utlity. I think America is slowly starting to appreciate wagons again.

Stand firm on the things that really matter to you (MT) and offer to compromize on the things that don't (wagon vs. sedan).

+1

It will be easy to teach her how to drive the MT, and she shouldnt wreck it. She'll be happy its a wagon and youll be happy its a manual (plus added sleeper effect with the wagon ;)). Peace and love for all :)

lol. i'm the wife and i do wear the pants in my house. plus, the car was for me, so he didn't get much say in it other than, "can i drive it sometimes?". i love M/T but since i drive mostly city now for my job (80% driving) I felt it safer for the masses if i didn't talk on my cell, eat lunch, write notes, or drink my soda at the same time while shifting..... i think i scared quite a few people w/ my last car that was 6MT. plus, the cool steering wheel controls kinda make it fun to drive. and if the MT issue is only because she can't drive it, then teach her. tell her if she knows how to drive a MT, then she can drive any kind of car! most people, once they learn MT, prefer it over an AT. I know I still do.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Sjg,

If you are right, and I hope you are, about wagons coming back into the mainstream, then removing the 5MT from the Legacy GT wagon was even more of a shot in the foot for SOA.

Enthusiasts tend to prefer manuals, and Enthusiasts' interest is what tends to generate positive press, and positive word of mouth, and further sales and brand awareness. The indifferent regular car-buying people don't talk about these kinds of cars in these sorts of venues. Enthusiasts do.

So pissing off a bunch of enthusiasts generates more bad word of mouth than would otherwise get noticed. (certainly from me... I consider it my civic duty :D )

I mean, come on. Throw us a bone here, SOA. Groups like the membership here, and at other forums, like NASIOC, are the biggest groups of Subaru enthusiasts extant.

Sorry for the thread detour, but it applies, as the thread poster is an enthusiast, wants a manual transmission, and is considering a Legacy GT Wagon. He's gonna have to move fast, because of SOA shooting themselves in the foot.

dont take this the wrong way, but it's really scary that you think it's okay to do all ofthese things in your car if it's auto but not if it's manual. Another good reason auto transmissions should be banned. IMO you're driving irresponsibly.

lol. i'm the wife and i do wear the pants in my house. plus, the car was for me, so he didn't get much say in it other than, "can i drive it sometimes?". i love M/T but since i drive mostly city now for my job (80% driving) I felt it safer for the masses if i didn't talk on my cell, eat lunch, write notes, or drink my soda at the same time while shifting..... i think i scared quite a few people w/ my last car that was 6MT. plus, the cool steering wheel controls kinda make it fun to drive. and if the MT issue is only because she can't drive it, then teach her. tell her if she knows how to drive a MT, then she can drive any kind of car! most people, once they learn MT, prefer it over an AT. I know I still do.

dont take this the wrong way, but it's really scary that you think it's okay to do all ofthese things in your car if it's auto but not if it's manual. Another good reason auto transmissions should be banned. IMO you're driving irresponsibly.

What she is doing is stupid, but you're also being stupid saying this is why autos should be banned. :lol:

morons

Skillz!

Where in SC are you? Hampton Subaru is where I purchased my car three weeks ago.

Columbia too! I'm going to Hampton also. Should have the car this weekend!!

well, actually, i do talk, eat, write quick notes etc while driving. however, i have a handsfree blue tooth kit for talking on the phone, a mobile desktop for making a quick note here and there along with a digital voice recorder for long notes if needed. i bet you probably eat food items in your car as well take a drink from your coffee mug. i did all these things in my various vehicles for the last 11 yrs regardless of transmission. perhaps you may find it driving irresponsible, but so is driving drunk or tired. i do my best to keep both hands on the wheel 90% of the time. otherwise, i'd never eat lunch or get anything done. if i nave time, i usually find a nice area to park.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/CIMG5796copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/CIMG5812copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/trdvibe/2005%20Subaru%20Legacy%20GT/desk/CIMG5781copy.jpg

Hey there's nothing wrong with a wagon or the 5EAT, because I just got one. Was debating between a MT or the 5EAT. Let's face it, 90% of all the driving I do and I drive a lot, I don't want to deal with shifting. FYI I just picked up my car last night, I will have 1000 miles on it by next week. I did accidentally test whether or not it will shift when you peg the rev limiter in the manual mode. Didn't realize it would rev that high that fast, won't do that again.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do that requires you to have all that stuff in your car?

i work in outside sales. most of my day is spent anywhere but the office. today, i will go in and get my paperwork, my schedule and then leave. unfortunately, i also put a lot of miles on the car and so far i'm at 5600 miles and I got it April 20. :( it had 200 miles on it when i bought it, so i'm averaging about 1600 miles/month. i was hoping to get that around 1000 though, so on the weekends, usually we take the hubby's car.

and no, i do not cause accidents professionally. i've only been in 2 ever and they were people who decided to hit my truck.

1600 miles/month is nothing. My commute is 150 miles per day. So around 3000 miles per month.

i'm sorry. i don't think i'd ever do that! unless i got a company car or a crapper that got 70+ mpg! :(

I just bought my GT LTD 5eat 3 days ago.

Whoa, Skillz, what happened, buddy? I thought we'd all agreed you were going to get a 5MT wagon. I hope you got some other form of compensation for taking the auto...;)

Archived