LegacyGT.com

Before I start breaking things...How do I customize the airbox to hear the BOV?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awe! i see. Well if you are planning to upgrade later, you could probably get a bov. Easily a recirc and maybe a 50/50 but a fully vented will give you issues even after your car has been tuned for it. You should look at the turbo xs hybrid 50/50. Pretty sure it has all 3 settings. So you could go recirc for now and then change it when you go stage 2 or whatever. But the resonator is easy. I found a walkthrough a while back with pictures but i posted one with instructions so...
Now who's the noob? You can't tune for a VTA BOV on a MAF based car. The air has already been metered. Like the other guys said, slow your roll. I would've thought that your own thread and experience would've humbled you somewhat.

To the OP, if you want more turbo noise, you'll hear more of it when you get your UP and DP installed with a tune, and you'll net a good gain in performance.

As for wanting the sound of the BOV, you can get an adjustable one without making things go super rich. I have a GFB TMS Respons valve set to about 15-20% VTA and it's loud enough.

Intakes, don't need em. I used to have an AVO panel filter on the stock intake, got rid of it already and went back to stock. Barely perceptible difference in noise. Getting a completely different intake... well, be prepared to have to deal with having to rescale your MAF.

Read m spranks info thread. Vta for the most part ill cause bad idle and youll run rich for a second. Not noticable, but you will run rich. Tuned or not and that is indisputable :)
Venting doesn't affect idling on an aftermarket BOV (they are almost all designed to be shut at idle) unless you're talking about setting the spring pre-tension improperly. Maybe you should go back and read his info again. As far as running rich, I said it wouldn't go super rich, and it won't at such a small percentage of VTA. It'll go a little rich, but not a lot.

Venting doesn't affect idling on an aftermarket BOV (they are almost all designed to be shut at idle) unless you're talking about setting the spring pre-tension improperly. Maybe you should go back and read his info again. As far as running rich, I said it wouldn't go super rich, and it won't at such a small percentage of VTA. It'll go a little rich, but not a lot.

Whats funny is you actually keep repeating what i said. I said that running rich for a split second is pretty insignificant. Holy shit.

Whats funny is you actually keep repeating what i said. I said that running rich for a split second is pretty insignificant. Holy shit.
I'm not disputing that it runs rich, I was clarifying my position since it seemed to me that you thought I was saying it wouldn't run rich.

What I am disputing in your post is pretty clear. "Whats funny" is that you ignored everything else I wrote. "Whats funny" is that you think you can tune for a rich condition caused by a VTA BOV on our MAF based vehicles. "Whats funny" is that you think a properly setup VTA BOV will mess up your idle.

Awe! i see. Well if you are planning to upgrade later, you could probably get a bov. Easily a recirc and maybe a 50/50 but a fully vented will give you issues even after your car has been tuned for it.
There is nothing to tune for on a BOV. What are you even talking about?:confused::confused::confused:

You should look at the turbo xs hybrid 50/50. Pretty sure it has all 3 settings. So you could go recirc for now and then change it when you go stage 2 or whatever.
And the reason he would go recirc now but change it when he goes to stage 2 is....what? As if it makes any difference that he's stage 2?:confused::confused::confused:

I could be wrong about idle. Never was a bov engineer though everyone i know with a vta has idling issues diagnosed FROM the VTA.
You are wrong about the idle. Tell your friends to buy BOVs that are stay shut at idle, or to properly pre-tension their springs and they won't have a problem. This is done easily.

I've heard of people removing the "baffle" on the bottom of the airbox? I don't have the need or want to buy an intake, I'm just looking for a free/cheap mod to get the sound of the BOV. I want to see if there's something I can easily do for free before buying an aftermarket BOV.

Any tips on what to do is greatly appreciated! I know I can remove the airbox cover and make an at home induction kit but I have no tools for this.

Do Not Do It....The helmholtz resonator is there for other reasons than silencing the intake. Google it.

what's funny to me is how the Teapot calls the Kettle "Black" and then tries to sound ummm, not so "black" and failing. if "noob-ness" is by post count, then i guess that would make me less "black" than someone with fewer post count by me. of course that is by post count right? or does stupidity count as well? hmmm, back to NFS:The Run.

This thread is reminiscent of NASIOC for all the wrong reasons.

OP: Don't remove the silencer. If you really want to hear the BPV then get a quality SRI. If you're hellbent on the PSSSH, then purchase a BOV and a tune that accounts for its presence.

Disclosure -- I removed my silencer, and then put it back on the next day.

This thread is reminiscent of NASIOC for all the wrong reasons.

OP: Don't remove the silencer. If you really want to hear the BPV then get a quality SRI. If you're hellbent on the PSSSH, then purchase a BOV and a tune that accounts for its presence.

Disclosure -- I removed my silencer, and then put it back on the next day.

There is no way to tune for with an aftermarket BOV...

Worthless mod. Really Want Whoosh, buy an after market intake. Your stock BOV located on the other side of the engine does not vent to atmosphere so any sound you hear is coming from the airbox or intake, not the blow off valve.

If you aren't going to do it right, stay stock and stay happy.

Dont get aftermarket intake. Just buy a 50/50 BOV. You dont need to really get a tune, whereas if you get an aftermarket intake you will.

Archived