LegacyGT.com

Performance of optional sub?

WRXTom

I know some of you Legacy GT owners have the optional sub installed under the driver's seat. I assume the specs on the sub are similar to the one used in the WRX. Any opinion from those that have used it on what it adds (or subtracts) from the performance of the audio system? BTW, I did some quick measurements using a test CD and my Radio Shack Digital SPL meter and with the tone controls in the flat position the bass frequencies were heavily boosted. If I remember correctly (I can check when I get home), from 200 Hz down was 12-16 db higher than a test tone at 1 Khz. Lots of bass but not very accurate. Tom

If the sub is anything like previous models, it's not a true sub by playing back low frequencies. It's more of a mid-low frequency driver. It might be a while to get a before-after comparison since the OE sub option comes pre-installed. Ken

Under the left side of the sedan rear shelf, there is a circular cutout looking thingy (sorry I can't give a better description) where it would appear some speaker should/could be mounted. This is where I thought the optional sub would be placed. It has the solid shelf material above it which would have to be removed to install a sub. Didn't know that the sub is mounted under the drivers seat. Not sure I need an ass massage but I'm sure the ladies would love it ;-)

[quote name='WRXTom']Thanks. I know how it works. I'm trying to get a review of how it performs and if it is worth the money. It is pretty dinky but I don't need or want a heavy-hittin' box in the back taking up space. Tom[/quote] Aha. I think it is definitely worth it. It relaxes the other frequency spectrums, allowing the music to flow more smoothly and clearly. Kevin

I have one and I like it fairly well. It delivers better overall sound than Bose in G35. Base needed to be turned down a little, it took me about 5 minutes to find good (for me) balance. I actually like that there no speakers on back shelf and subwoofer is under driver seat, When going in the car with my daugther and wife(3-5 times a week) they always complained that it's too loud on the back seat, now I can leave music alone as it is comfortable all around.

I like the sub in my GT Ltd Sedan. It adds a little bottom w/o rattling windows three cars back! In terms of cost, size, and sound, its a decent value if you want a little more bottom. It is also matched to the OEM Head Unit, which we will be living with for quite some time..... Rimfaxe

[quote name='agctr']If u were going to install an optional UP-Spec sub, would it fit into the same space under the drivers seat and give the same BOOM as having a constructed box like normal subs have to?[/quote] Not even close on either count. The factory accessory sub is tiny. It adds a nice low midragnge punch but it won't shake the car (just the driver's seat :D )

Not even close on either count. The factory accessory sub is tiny. It adds a nice low midragnge punch but it won't shake the car (just the driver's seat :D )[/quote] I agree, It just depends on what you're looking for. If you drop a big Sub in, I would think it would start to throw the whole system out of balance. For all the complaining etc. on these boards regarding the factory stereo (myself included :D ) It is really not a terrible system. Its just not what you would get with a $1500 after market install. The factory Sub does OK in that it provdes more mid and lows, but its not going to knock a flower pot off the window sill in the hood. Rimfaxe

Well, after three days of driving in my wagon, this non-audiophile is very satisfied with the performance of the sub. I previously had a 98 Forester with upgraded speakers and the sub and it sounded nowhere as good as the current setup. Then again, I haven't compared one without the sub so I don't know how much of the better sound is attributable to just the standard speakers. Ken

[quote name='WRXTom']Thanks. I know how it works. I'm trying to get a review of how it performs and if it is worth the money. It is pretty dinky but I don't need or want a heavy-hittin' box in the back taking up space. Tom[/quote] I always thought about buying the sub, then putting something better in the box. Something like a rockford, polk, etc. I don't know if it would work?

[quote name='rao']It is about the size of a large hardback book - no kidding, when you see one in person you will be amazed at how small it is. It has a built-in amp, such as it is. It makes a lot of sound from such a small enclosure.[/quote] And it doesn't affect seat movements at all? I guess I just assumed the amp was a system amp, not just sub amp, because the accessories guide suggests the "Installation of Premium speakers" with it.

It dosen't in Kevin's car and it is a Subaru accessory so odds are pretty good that it will fit. Just relax :) The dimensions of the sub are 7 1/8 X 8 5/8 X 2 1/2 (told you it was tiny) it mounts to one side of the seat bracket and has aseparate bracket that ges the long way to the toher side of the seat. You can get them on Ebay all day for around $80, just make sure you get the wiring harness because that is NOT NOT NOT available as a separate part number from Subaru. The way it wires in is really simple - uplug the stock wiring harness to the receiver, plug it inot hte sub harness and plug the one end of the sub harness into the receiver and the other into the sub, it just takes the high level signals from the receiver and uses those. They have been using the same one for years with no changes.

rao and others...thanks for the detail. I almost bought the optional sub for my WRX. I'm just looking for something that will broaden the frequency spectrum and give me more adjustment flexibility. Looks like this might work. Tom

I wonder if you could just transfer your WRX sub to a Leg. The harness and wiring are probably the same, since they seem to be the same on all Subaru subs, but I know the WRX one mounts under the passenger seat, and the Leg one mounts under the driver's seat. Not sure if that makes any difference.

If u could just upSpec the standard sub, it would save a lot of time, energy, expense and room in the boot, unless you got one of those bass units that fit in the tyre well in the boot, but unsure how good they are either.

[quote name='SC GT']I wonder if you could just transfer your WRX sub to a Leg. The harness and wiring are probably the same, since they seem to be the same on all Subaru subs, but I know the WRX one mounts under the passenger seat, and the Leg one mounts under the driver's seat. Not sure if that makes any difference.[/quote] you are right, and there is a difference in the bracket. not a big deal though. slap some industrial strength velcro on the sub and stick it to the carpet under the seat. i guarantee that it won't move.

Concerning the sub wiring, has anyone checked to see if the car comes pre-wired? I was under the assumption that the sub was a dealer installed option. Can't imagine that the dealer would want to run a wire under carpet, from the engine bay, etc, in order to connect this sub. This would take quite a bit of time and really cut into their margin. Just curious as I would like to add some more bottom end umph t round out the system.

[quote name='QToo']Concerning the sub wiring, has anyone checked to see if the car comes pre-wired? I was under the assumption that the sub was a dealer installed option. Can't imagine that the dealer would want to run a wire under carpet, from the engine bay, etc, in order to connect this sub. This would take quite a bit of time and really cut into their margin. Just curious as I would like to add some more bottom end umph t round out the system.[/quote] the car is not pre-wired. it is not only a dealer installed option either - you can get it installed from the factory too. and that sub will not add much to the bottom end. it hits lowest at around 65Hz. you miss everything from 20-64. it is better than nothing though. that is about all i can say for it. your best bet is to go to the subie dealer and sit in a car that has the sub installed and see if you like it. if you do decide to get it, def. buy from Ebay. they are about $80 on there, as rao said.

Archived