LegacyGT.com

Performance of optional sub?

WRXTom

[quote name='-HEF-'] your best bet is to go to the subie dealer and sit in a car that has the sub installed and see if you like it. if you do decide to get it, def. buy from Ebay. they are about $80 on there, as rao said.[/quote] Where the heck are they? I took a look on the weekend and couldn't find such a beast....?

[quote name='Deer Killer']I expect the 6.5" speakers in the door to go down to 65Hz, forget the sub :)[/quote] excellent point. please note that the sub is also a 6.5 speaker. i wouldn't doubt for a second that it is almost the same speaker that they drop in the doors.

Under the left side of the sedan rear shelf, there is a circular cutout looking thingy (sorry I can't give a better description) where it would appear some speaker should/could be mounted. This is where I thought the optional sub would be placed. It has the solid shelf material above it which would have to be removed to install a sub.

Didn't know that the sub is mounted under the drivers seat. Not sure I need an ass massage but I'm sure the ladies would love it ;-)

This is the rear deck sub picture that I found. It is out there, I don't have any info on it though..

in007_wp_l.thumb.jpg.a6556492bb1a147d46c9197f0f42303c.jpg

[quote name='Ninjapimp'][quote name='-HEF-'] your best bet is to go to the subie dealer and sit in a car that has the sub installed and see if you like it. if you do decide to get it, def. buy from Ebay. they are about $80 on there, as rao said.[/quote] Where the heck are they? I took a look on the weekend and couldn't find such a beast....?[/quote] not sure what you mean: where are all the new cars with the subs installed, or where can you get the sub on ebay? if you mean the former, sit in a wrx that has one, i am certain they will have that on the lot. if you mean the latter: [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32808&item=5709605735&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW[/url]

[quote name='cncgimenez'][quote name='QToo']Under the left side of the sedan rear shelf, there is a circular cutout looking thingy (sorry I can't give a better description) where it would appear some speaker should/could be mounted. This is where I thought the optional sub would be placed. It has the solid shelf material above it which would have to be removed to install a sub. Didn't know that the sub is mounted under the drivers seat. Not sure I need an ass massage but I'm sure the ladies would love it ;-)[/quote] This is the rear deck sub picture that I found. It is out there, I don't have any info on it though..[/quote] Looks like more JDM parts to import :) Probably the McIntosh 13th speaker.

Deer that is correct, that is the 13th Speaker location, this only comes standard with the premium edition which has climate control, leather and the McIntosh System. Curious to know if this a good unit or not. Does this mean that the JDM system has two base units? 1. Under the Drivers Seat 2. On the parcel shelf?

[quote name='Ninjapimp']Thanks Hef (I did mean the 2nd one). What would be the difference between this sub and the correct one? Wiring harness issues or just mounting bracket?[/quote] wiring harness should be the same. the difference will be with the mounting bracket.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='-HEF-'][quote name='QToo']Concerning the sub wiring, has anyone checked to see if the car comes pre-wired? I was under the assumption that the sub was a dealer installed option. Can't imagine that the dealer would want to run a wire under carpet, from the engine bay, etc, in order to connect this sub. This would take quite a bit of time and really cut into their margin. Just curious as I would like to add some more bottom end umph t round out the system.[/quote] the car is not pre-wired. it is not only a dealer installed option either - you can get it installed from the factory too. and that sub will not add much to the bottom end. it hits lowest at around 65Hz. you miss everything from 20-64. it is better than nothing though. that is about all i can say for it. your best bet is to go to the subie dealer and sit in a car that has the sub installed and see if you like it. if you do decide to get it, def. buy from Ebay. they are about $80 on there, as rao said.[/quote] Which is why I plan to put a pair of 6.5" SAS Bazooka amplified tubes in the trunk.... to get the rest.... Sounds linke wiring these might be a little tricky....

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='dimil']I have one and I like it fairly well. It delivers better overall sound than Bose in G35. Base needed to be turned down a little, it took me about 5 minutes to find good (for me) balance.[/quote] Thanks for the comparison. I'll drive up to Rockville and check it out tomorrow or Friday.

[quote name='sdgarber']I believe the Legacy GT head unit offers 120W of total power. Does anyone know how much additional power is added by the sub/amp :?:[/quote] 80 watts, says the literature. Kevin

[quote name='sdgarber']I believe the Legacy GT head unit offers 120W of total power. Does anyone know how much additional power is added by the sub/amp :?:[/quote] eh? I thought it as 160w?? BTW does it use a seperate amp? That would make it easy to replace with a better one.

[quote name='mccorry'][quote name='-HEF-'][quote name='QToo']Concerning the sub wiring, has anyone checked to see if the car comes pre-wired? I was under the assumption that the sub was a dealer installed option. Can't imagine that the dealer would want to run a wire under carpet, from the engine bay, etc, in order to connect this sub. This would take quite a bit of time and really cut into their margin. Just curious as I would like to add some more bottom end umph t round out the system.[/quote] the car is not pre-wired. it is not only a dealer installed option either - you can get it installed from the factory too. and that sub will not add much to the bottom end. it hits lowest at around 65Hz. you miss everything from 20-64. it is better than nothing though. that is about all i can say for it. your best bet is to go to the subie dealer and sit in a car that has the sub installed and see if you like it. if you do decide to get it, def. buy from Ebay. they are about $80 on there, as rao said.[/quote] Sounds linke wiring these might be a little tricky....[/quote] not in the least. well, if you have some stereo install knowledge, it is easy. the hardest part was fishing the wire through the firewall. the longest part is wiring up the speaker level inputs, i.e. splicing into your speaker wires to get sound to the amp. i'd say that i could do the whole thing in about 3 hours, knowing what i know now.

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='sdgarber']I believe the Legacy GT head unit offers 120W of total power. Does anyone know how much additional power is added by the sub/amp :?:[/quote] eh? I thought it as 160w?? BTW does it use a seperate amp? That would make it easy to replace with a better one.[/quote] Nope. It's a powered sub, which makes sense in the cramped environs of 'neath the driver's buttocks. I actually preferred the old locale of under the passenger seat. It would be easy to relocate, I suppose, but that would involve actual bother. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='sdgarber']I believe the Legacy GT head unit offers 120W of total power. Does anyone know how much additional power is added by the sub/amp :?:[/quote] eh? I thought it as 160w?? BTW does it use a seperate amp? That would make it easy to replace with a better one.[/quote] Nope. It's a powered sub, which makes sense in the cramped environs of 'neath the driver's buttocks. I actually preferred the old locale of under the passenger seat. It would be easy to relocate, I suppose, but that would involve actual bother. :lol: Kevin[/quote] I was talking about the HU, sorry.

Anybody know what diameter the McIntosh sub is in the rear deck, or if the USDM car has a cutout for it (or room to cut out for it.) I am thinking about, when I get a legacy, re-creating the McIntosh system from aftermarket parts, McIntosh Amp, McIntosh head and watt gauges or Pioneer double din unit (if the US ever gets the flippin adapter plate for the dash) Perhaps a Polk/Momo sub (to match the steering wheel :-) ) Maybe Boston Acoustics or Infinity Pro separates/Coaxials in the front and rear doors respectively. Maybe those new Blaupunkt Overdrive thin-depth speakers. Something with superb quality, XM upgradeability, and with a hardline in for an iPod.

Archived