LegacyGT.com

Anyone seen TSB 12-136-12 "Automatic Headlight Sensor Repair Kit"

Hate to bring up an old thread but looks like I may be affected by this. I currently have the VOLT Hid kit installed. I always have my headlights on auto. Yesterday night on the way to the hospital to see my friends mother, my lights where on no problem. When I left the hospital the no longer went on. They did if i put the switch to on but on auto only my fogs went on. So i'm guessing that either i need to bring it in to Subaru for the recall or my Volt kit blew something. If i take this back to Subaru, would I have to revert the bulbs back to stock for the TSB?

You're better off not using the auto function anyway.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hate to bring up an old thread but looks like I may be affected by this. I currently have the VOLT Hid kit installed. I always have my headlights on auto. Yesterday night on the way to the hospital to see my friends mother, my lights where on no problem. When I left the hospital the no longer went on. They did if i put the switch to on but on auto only my fogs went on. So i'm guessing that either i need to bring it in to Subaru for the recall or my Volt kit blew something. If i take this back to Subaru, would I have to revert the bulbs back to stock for the TSB?

With Hids I would think you wouldn't want the auto turned in since it's so sensitive.

Guest GranTour
That FSB sure does call for some "hackery" for being a corporate solution. Electrical tape and zip ties? I think I'd rather just use the manual switch.

• 1 year later...
That FSB sure does call for some "hackery" for being a corporate solution. Electrical tape and zip ties? I think I'd rather just use the manual switch.

i want to go with this nonsolution solution too but i can't past the fact the the nav screen uses the same light sensor to put its self on night or day mode and that white screen driving at night is freakin blinding.

i want to go with this nonsolution solution too but i can't past the fact the the nav screen uses the same light sensor to put its self on night or day mode and that white screen driving at night is freakin blinding.

No it doesn't. The navigation system is bright/dim depending on if your headlights are on or off. I know this because I never use the automatic functionality on my headlights.

Check your dash dimmer wheel next to the mirror control. There is a detent at the top that keeps the nav screen on full bright when the headlights are on. BTDT.

• 11 months later...
It's the sensor which has failed, mine failed 2x before the TSB was issued and it was performed. If everything else works, have the TSB performed or just order the new sensor and have it installed. The headlights have nothing to do with the puddle lights.

^^^ thanks for the link, but the TSBS don't have the VINs involved. I don't know if mine is a fuse, TSB issue, or puddle light system overload.

have the manual light workaround for now though. lol.

The TSB says the fix was incorporated in 2013 model year (MY) cars, therefore the vin list isn't needed. Assume all 2010-2012 Legacys and Outbacks are susceptible to the problem.

Once it's out of warranty...yup, it's on you. Fun huh?

This should be a safety recall.

For all you people not using auto headlights to save your HIDs, the solution to that is a time delay relay. My HIDs have a adjustable .1 to 60 second delay before igniting after the light switch turns them on. Problem solved.

http://www.alliedelec.com/amperite-12dno-1-60c/70200058/

Why bother with a retrofit? The OEM lenses with good HID bulbs are amazing. My headlights are WAY WAY better than my inlaw's 09 Maxima with OEM HIDs ... Sharp cutoff, good throw, even pattern. Not perfect but pretty damn awesome.

Lifetime warranty 55w 4300k with dual relays, properly aimed by me, and I can see 10 seconds down the road at highway speed and nobody flashes me.

Another benefit of the delay-on relay is that your lights won't flicker on when switching to auto from off or while starting the car. That's a killer for the ballasts.

I'd take shrink tubed solder joints over crimp connectors, 6-ways from Sunday.

However I learned how to solder proper after building all those alternator voltage booster prototypes. Not sure what kind of tom-foolery you'd get by a Subaru service tech who may or may not be able to solder worth their salt.

That reminds me.. I need a new tip for my iron...

I'd take shrink tubed solder joints over crimp connectors, 6-ways from Sunday.

However I learned how to solder proper after building all those alternator voltage booster prototypes. Not sure what kind of tom-foolery you'd get by a Subaru service tech who may or may not be able to solder worth their salt.

That reminds me.. I need a new tip for my iron...

I'd rather not have a dealer tech using a solder iron anywhere NEAR my car...I do know how to solder from years of experience using the proper tools and techniques...

• 3 months later...

Archived