LegacyGT.com

Anyone seen TSB 12-136-12 "Automatic Headlight Sensor Repair Kit"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once it's out of warranty...yup, it's on you. Fun huh?

This should be a safety recall.

For all you people not using auto headlights to save your HIDs, the solution to that is a time delay relay. My HIDs have a adjustable .1 to 60 second delay before igniting after the light switch turns them on. Problem solved.

http://www.alliedelec.com/amperite-12dno-1-60c/70200058/

since the headlights DO work when you manually turn them on, this will NEVER be a safety recall. Now if this caused the headlights to be totally inoperative, then it would be a safety recall.

Once it's out of warranty...yup, it's on you. Fun huh?

This should be a safety recall.

For all you people not using auto headlights to save your HIDs, the solution to that is a time delay relay. My HIDs have a adjustable .1 to 60 second delay before igniting after the light switch turns them on. Problem solved.

http://www.alliedelec.com/amperite-12dno-1-60c/70200058/

Brandon, do you have a writeup on this, or a diagram of how you wired it? If not, I would sure appreciate one.

Thanks! ;)

Its easy but fugly.

I went the practical durable route, not pretty. In short, the new time delay relay pack is used to control the switching side of the 2 80amp relays that actually switch my ballasts.

So...OEM relay switches this time delay relay, which switches the main relay pack which switches the ballasts.

+12v from your headlight on one side is used to provide both +12v switching and switched voltage. Ground on the relay goes to headlight -ve.

Relay output +12v then goes to the main relay pack. I used proper connectors so its all plug and play and sealed with hot glue, shrink tube, etc.

I've got the module stashed in a waterproof grey plastic electrical box that I mounted to the top of the fuse box under the hood, but you could put it anywhere.

Really, without pulling it all apart I can't show useful photos.

I highly recommend that particular time delay relay. The first one I had, of a different type failed quickly. This one has been reliable.

• 2 years later...
I finally did this repair, TSB, mod, whatever you want to call it. The “auto” switch position went from the headlights being off when selected to them being on. Not auto. It worked originally but gave up a few years ago. For some reason I have only 3 wires in the connector for the sensor. There is no yellow wire in position 1 at all. Is my car a different iteration and this isn’t the right repair? I’m at a loss for what to do to get this working properly again.

you will only have the yellow wire with the black stripe if you have an automatic AC (you don't mention what car you are working on - I know the limited has auto, not sure about the premium trim and I know the base does not)

I figured it was something like that, but surprised it bothers with that level of detail. Anyway... I drove the car to work this morning and noticed the switch was on auto and the headlights were off. I put a piece of paper over the sensor and the lights came on after a few seconds so I guess it fixed itself. I turned the car on and off a few times last night but I guess sitting off overnight fixed it? I'll have to check it a little more thoroughly to be sure, but I think I'm good. Thanks.

Archived