LegacyGT.com

MT reverse issue on 2010 LGT

Either that, or let the clutch out in neutral, then clutch in and try again. Reverse is unsynchronized, so there's nothing other than dumb luck and a little bit of a taper aligning the gears.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reviving and old thread again here. I have had this issue as well and now this week I can't even use reverse without it getting kicked out and grinding. I have a 2010 GT 6MT with 117k miles on it. For the past few months it has been resisting shifting into reverse but after stepping on the clutch a couple times it usually dropped in. Will replacing the synchronizer fix this? Has anyone done gearbox work at home successfully?

There's no synchro for reverse, so that's not your problem. I'd peel the center console cover off and start looking for loose or broken clips, see if anything jumps out at you. If you have a second person, one person could pull the shifter into reverse while the second person watches the lever on the transmission- you could also try pushing on that lever a little to see if you can make it drop into reverse from underneath, and if you can (and it stays there if you put power to it), that'd probably point toward the shifter being the culprit.

i added a half quart of mobil synthetic 75-90, and shift into a forward gear before reverse, and it's all good... it's a little quirk i can deal with, the car is starting to grow on me

i have to do a trans fluid change soon, i looked at the service schedule on alldata at school today, there is no way the previous owner followed that, i intend to. the one thing i noticed is that there was no scheduling for the timing belt to be replaced, so every 60k it is :lol: it looks fairly simple... now if i could just find those spark plugs (little different than my beloved blown v6 lol) and get the throttle to respond instantly instead of waiting a second. that throttle delay pisses me off, i've killed this car more than all the other manuals i've ever driven combined

have you done the clutch damper delete yet?

Do you think it's not getting all the way into gear?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

That's kinda what I'm thinking, something in the shifter mechanism isn't quite moving far enough to move the lever on the transmission to where it needs to be.

That's kinda what I'm thinking, something in the shifter mechanism isn't quite moving far enough to move the lever on the transmission to where it needs to be.

I will have to try your test tonight but I have a hunch something is out on this. 6MT for the GT new is 6400. I found one on carmonkeys but it says call for price and I am still on hold.

If it's actually something inside the transmission that's bad, you could probably have it rebuilt. All of the parts see identified on parts.subaru.com, so as long as you haven't been circulating glitter through there for a while and damaging the other gears (and I feel like you'd know if you were), that's definitely still an option. I'd look at the shifter mechanism first, though- if nothing else, it's cheaper than a $6400 (plus shipping and labor, no doubt) transmission replacement. Hell, for that price, you could probably go the STI 6mt route and still come out ahead.

If it's actually something inside the transmission that's bad, you could probably have it rebuilt. All of the parts see identified on parts.subaru.com, so as long as you haven't been circulating glitter through there for a while and damaging the other gears (and I feel like you'd know if you were), that's definitely still an option. I'd look at the shifter mechanism first, though- if nothing else, it's cheaper than a $6400 (plus shipping and labor, no doubt) transmission replacement. Hell, for that price, you could probably go the STI 6mt route and still come out ahead.

I've found 1 GT 6MT transmissions available with 117k miles for 1650.00 shipped at that price to anywhere with a fork lift. STI swap will be pricey and I might as well go all the way out to the wheels.

The shifter cables and the shifter assembly itself has given a few owners some issues. The cables stretched or broke on wrxwhit's car, and a member in the FB group had the plastic mechanisms of the shifter break. I think at least 2 other members here had the shifter break also. As ccw said, I would look there first instead of assuming the worst with the tranny. In fact, when wrxwhit's cable was all wonky, he couldn't get it into reverse either and had to push his car out of the garage in the mornings for about a week.

^ Not you bud! I was talking to ripstik. You bumped a thread regarding an issue pertinent to your issue, makes perfect sense and is perfectly normal. He asked a question of a member that posted back in 2012 and hasn't even been on the board since 2014, which makes no sense at all. He's not using the forum tools or his brain to make good posts. :lol:

GTEASER thanks for clarifying! I'm trying my best to join the forum club and the Legacy club but I can help but shake the feeling I have no idea what I am doing haha.

I am going to have a local transmission shop take a look at the loose cable theory as soon as possible. I also am in talks with BB to get his old split case 6MT so I can do a rebuild on that for when this transmission finally goes.

I too have noticed it being tricky to get into reverse at times. What I usually do is put it back in neutral and, if on an incline, let the car roll a bit forward or back and then it usually goes right in. But yea it definitely sounds horrible when if it jumps out and grinds.

• 2 months later...
I've had two transmission techs look at it now. They have both said my reverse synchro is worn and it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately that means pulling and opening the transmission. This will cost a lot to have a dealership do. Has anyone worked on these before?

I can find a handful of parts named a reverse idlers or something similar. The tech at the dealership said he's replaced synchros on 5 speed split case transmissions and this is the same thing. This one most interestingly 32282AA160 shows syncro teeth carved machined in the gear. This one should then be the synchro itslef 32629AA010. I am not trying to make waves and I will happily admit that I am wrong after my transmission is fixed and I know exactly what happened.

The face of the idler has those teeth on there to align the teeth of the idler with the reverse gear so that they'll mesh when you pull them together, but they're definitely unsynchronized. If you want proof of that, just try pulling the shifter into reverse when you're moving forward (please don't do this, it'll make bad sounds). Synchronizers are meant to match the speed of a freely-spinning (or stopped) gear to that of a moving gear using friction (or, more accurately, the shear viscosity of the transmission fluid between the faces of the synchro), and when you're stopped and shifting into reverse, nothing in the transmission is spinning, so a synchro would only do you any good if you're trying to get into reverse while rolling backwards.

I get blocked out of reverse once in a blue moon in the Legacy, and relatively often in the Baja, easy fix is to let the clutch out in neutral and try again. Would be interesting to know what causes that (probably being a dummy and grinding gears), but I don't know that I'm interested enough to actually go exploring. This could be an opportunity for our resident STI 6-speed swap expert to snap a couple pictures, though...

Archived