LegacyGT.com

Subaru accident in Long Island - car split in half

bigdadi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why the parents would buy the kid that car at 17 is beyond me. Why they would allow him to take the car out at that hour without an adult is beyond me. Why the ejected folks weren't wearing seat belts is beyond me.

As for part out, I don't think there is any useable parts left.

So sad, but so preventable.

Mike

Agreed, that is too much car for a teen. Speed was obiviously a factor.

The driver made it. The other 4 passengers did not.

X

Isn't it strange that this is often the case?

I always hear about the driver surviving, but killing others in the car along for the ride.:redface:

I wonder how much of that has to do with the fact that the driver has an airbag in front of his chest, and typically the front seats have more airbags (i.e., knee bags) than the rear would? You almost never hear of other occupants surviving and only the driver dieing, it seems if anyone will survive, it's the driver.

In this case, especially since the car was ripped in half, I wouldn't imagine anyone not in the front seats would probably die.

Every time I read once of these it makes me more and more certain that when the time comes to sell my car I'm either going to part it out or have an age, IQ and driving record requirement from the purchaser because I can't hand someone their own death. Id advise several other 400whp owners to consider adopting a similar policy for the good of all.

That is what I find to be the most ridiculous part of this story...

The driver was probably only one in a seat belt. Just imagine the post traumatic stress for the driver, let alone the physical injuries and charges he is going to face.

Its a shame for all these families. Losing a child is one of the hardest things to handle in this world.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That sucks. I wonder if any if the passengers were wearing their seatbelts.

Look at the back half of the car. This is one of those dead in the road or part of you dead in the seat sort of accidents. I doubt seatbelts made much of a difference one way or the other for passengers in the rear of the car.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1177449!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/article-licrash2-1008.jpg

There was no chance of surviving with or without a seatbelt in the rear of the car looking at the pictures. Regardless of being thrown from the car or not, when you hit something like a tree at 100mph, even if the car survives, your internal organs continue to stay in motion as your body (skeleton) comes to a stop (whether that stop is against an airbag, a dashboard, the street, or an oak tree), and all of that force becomes your organs smashing against your skeleton inside your body cavity. You're going to die no matter what in a scenario like this where so much force is transmitted into the car that it actually splits in two. Physics is a harsh mistress, if a car smashes into something at 100mph, you can bet the people inside are experiencing forces that are extremely high. Crumple zones and airbags can only do so much to decelerate a body safely. It's a miracle that the driver survived, and there's a small chance that the front passenger could have survived (but obviously he did not).

EDIT: DISCLAIMER: I am a strong advocate for always wearing your seatbelt, and many needless injuries and even deaths could be prevented by always wearing it. Unfortunately they are not miracle workers, in such a horrible crash as this, their role is nearly negligent in protecting the occupants from death.

Not that i disagree with you that they would've died with seat belts because I agree they more than likely would have died regardless.

Rally cars (all tho caged) crash into trees going 100+ mph all the time and people survive. As much as physics is a harsh mistress the human body is one of the most amazing things in this world.

Having survived a crash into a bunch of trees at 60-70 mph (no one else was in car) and walking away without a scratch (i thank God and my 04 NA legacy). Also the reason I will always drive a Subaru and always wear a seatbelt even in the backseat.

Not that i disagree with you that they would've died with seat belts because I agree they more than likely would have died regardless.

Rally cars (all tho caged) crash into trees going 100+ mph all the time and people survive. As much as physics is a harsh mistress the human body is one of the most amazing things in this world.

Having survived a crash into a bunch of trees at 60-70 mph (no one else was in car) and walking away without a scratch (i thank God and my 04 NA legacy). Also the reason I will always drive a Subaru and always wear a seatbelt even in the backseat.

Rally cars also have fully built roll cages and 4-5 point harnesses :rolleyes:, and the occupants are also wearing full protection. And a rally car that goes off and tumbles through trees has a much better chance of surviving instead of street car hitting one tree at speeds enough to rip a car in half. Had the full force of your accident gone directly into one large tree, instead of a "crash into a bunch of trees", you would have had a much lower chance of surviving since ALL of the force from the accident would have been transfered directly into the car all at once, instead of a bunch of smaller impacts which would have done a better job of dispersing the total kinetic energy absorbed by the impact, minimizing potentially catastrophic damage to your body.

And don't kid yourself, people die rallying too.

Rally cars also have fully built roll cages and 4-5 point harnesses :rolleyes:, and the occupants are also wearing full protection. And a rally car that goes off and tumbles through trees has a much better chance of surviving instead of street car hitting one tree at speeds enough to rip a car in half. Had the full force of your accident gone directly into one large tree, instead of a "crash into a bunch of trees", you would have had a much lower chance of surviving since ALL of the force from the accident would have been transfered directly into the car all at once, instead of a bunch of smaller impacts which would have done a better job of dispersing the total kinetic energy absorbed by the impact, minimizing potentially catastrophic damage to your body.

And don't kid yourself, people die rallying too.

I agree completely and rally deaths are def not uncommon, but like i said so many variables and in this case to many variables stacked against them.

Accident can happen in a few seconds. In such flash moment, you cannot think as you are panic. Only the experienced driver who thought over them before re how to handle if such and such accident coming to you way.

Like sudden braking - the first and only option is slamp on your brake as hard as possible & pray, later, you think about it, and you know and are prepared, you can avoid to hit the front car if you can switch lane left or right at the last moment.

Accident can happen in a few seconds. In such flash moment, you cannot think as you are panic. Only the experienced driver who thought over them before re how to handle if such and such accident coming to you way.

Like sudden braking - the first and only option is slamp on your brake as hard as possible & pray, later, you think about it, and you know and are prepared, you can avoid to hit the front car if you can switch lane left or right at the last moment.

You can't think what you are going to do. You have to have some level of muscle memory to react properly and quickly.

Swerving vs braking on the road to avoid an accident is always always the wrong thing to do. Sudden swerving can cause a worse accident, more collateral damage and its possible you will have gone from not at fault to an at fault accident. There is no time to look at mirrors when making split second reactions.

Try English next time please.

I was young and stupid once. My parents knew little about performance cars either. However, I had the fear of my father throwing me a mean ass beating always in the back of my head (not that it prevented all stupidity) and I drove his 82 Pontiac Bonneville land yacht with an anemic 100hp v6. It was, of course, nearly always filled to the gills with bros and chicks. That was followed up by my first car - an '81 Buick Regal with 113K miles which I bought and paid for by washing dishes at a restaurant (also an anemic v6). I did eventually get my IROC and Grand National but not until several years later, when I had monetarily earned them and I had a couple years more driving and repair experience.

This story reeks of stupidity indeed, from many angles. However, I'm sure the last thing the family needs at this point is having people rub their nose in their neglect and missteps. I'm nearly certain they've learned - albeit at a massive, massive price.

Sad no matter how you look at it.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I was young and stupid once. My parents knew little about performance cars either. However, I had the fear of my father throwing me a mean ass beating always in the back of my head (not that it prevented all stupidity) and I drove his 82 Pontiac Bonneville land yacht with an anemic 100hp v6. It was, of course, nearly always filled to the gills with bros and chicks. That was followed up by my first car - an '81 Buick Regal with 113K miles which I bought and paid for by washing dishes at a restaurant (also an anemic v6). I did eventually get my IROC and Grand National but not until several years later, when I had monetarily earned them and I had a couple years more driving and repair experience.

This story reeks of stupidity indeed, from many angles. However, I'm sure the last thing the family needs at this point is having people rub their nose in their neglect and missteps. I'm nearly certain they've learned - albeit at a massive, massive price.

Sad no matter how you look at it.

Similar car history...

1st car- borrowed parents Plymouth reliant k

2nd car- 1974 olds 98 w/455 in 1994

3rd car- 1983 dodge ram charger, no ac, vinyl seats 2wd

Mike

Archived