Tuning Alliance

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi There, I am a simple enthusiast;I enjoy the car as it is mostly. I have done some suspension work and some other minor things but I am not going for big power or all sorts of upgrades. The only change I have made underhood is the installation of a K&N Typhoon intake. I got an E tune (using my AP V2) from another vendor and at first it seemed smooth and strong and I was happy. However, that famous stutter/hesitate thing at mid-2000 RPMs when accelerating kinda easy keeps rearing its ugly head. Can your tune make this annoying thing go away for good? I love my Legacy GT - except for that one thing.

Hi There, I am a simple enthusiast;I enjoy the car as it is mostly. I have done some suspension work and some other minor things but I am not going for big power or all sorts of upgrades. The only change I have made underhood is the installation of a K&N Typhoon intake. I got an E tune (using my AP V2) from another vendor and at first it seemed smooth and strong and I was happy. However, that famous stutter/hesitate thing at mid-2000 RPMs when accelerating kinda easy keeps rearing its ugly head. Can your tune make this annoying thing go away for good? I love my Legacy GT - except for that one thing.

Well its not usually as easy as just reflashing a map. You will need to log some data to see what the car is learning, as it frequently results from a learned value.

More often this can be caused by a small leak which then results in strange learned fueling and ignition. So first I would boost leak test it, and give the ecu a reset. Then take it from there with tuning support.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK - that makes sense. Or I gues it makes sense since most of this is outside of what I have any experience with. Tuning and logging are new to me (old school mechanic). SO I need to learn how to log data first it sounds lie - or find a shop to help me with it - including the boost leak test, which is also outside of my experience.

OK - that makes sense. Or I gues it makes sense since most of this is outside of what I have any experience with. Tuning and logging are new to me (old school mechanic). SO I need to learn how to log data first it sounds lie - or find a shop to help me with it - including the boost leak test, which is also outside of my experience.

How to boost leak test and other info.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/checking-general-health-your-engine-and-tune-210369.html

How to log.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlHP4gFiVrY]COBB AccessPORT Data Logging Step-by-Step - YouTube[/ame]

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try cleaning the black gunk off the mass air flow sensor bulb, in the intake stream by the filter box.

worked for me. Same kind of symptoms.

And TA, I'm having problems with my laptop at the moment.

Ive tried everything to get the rom from my car but I'm failing miserably.

Its simply not detecting my car.

I'm gonna try another laptop. Bit only time will tell when I can borrow a friends..

• 3 months later...

New Subie owner here and totally new to tuning so would very much appreciate a description of, or link to, "Tuning for Complete Noobs".

I have a 2005 Legacy GT 5MT with 9,000 miles. Yes, you read that right, not a typo. Bought it a month ago with 5,400 miles on it. Because of the low mileage I was able to buy it certified pre-owned from a dealer and get a warranty with it. I mention this because it has been recommended to me as "baby steps to improving performance" to upgrade the up-pipe and tune the car. But if the up-pipe mod voids the warranty then I'm going to skip it until the warranty runs out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that leaves me with just tuning the car for now - fine by me. I like baby steps.

I can take it to a local tune shop and pay $450 but my friend suggested I simply do it myself. I would rather pay to have things done right but if I can pay less to do things myself with the same result and not risk screwing anything up and learn something along the way, all the better. All that being said, for my stock wagon, what all do I need to tune the car? Is this something I can safely do myself with profiles from TA? Where can I start learning about this stuff so I don't fly blindly into this venture? Am I risking doing anything to the cat in the up-pipe that might send damaging pieces into the turbo (I've read a bit about this)?

Thanks for any and all info!

Thanks for the link! As to how I got the car with such low mileage, pure random luck. Had test driven the same model with 87K miles from a private seller just 45 mins. from home and scheduled an appointment with a mechanic to insure everything was ok before buying it. Car was a little worn aesthetically (after 8 years that's understandable) but the drive felt good so I was all set to buy it. Two days before the appointment I was just screwing around online not even looking for another car when a brand new Ohio dealer listing popped up on AutoTrader for the exact same car but 5,400 miles and asking only $3K more than the private seller. I thought it was a typo but set my alarm for 5:45am, 15 mins. before the dealership opened, and called right away. Lucky me I got a saleswoman just before she stepped into a meeting and that's pretty much it.

Thanks for the link! As to how I got the car with such low mileage, pure random luck. Had test driven the same model with 87K miles from a private seller just 45 mins. from home and scheduled an appointment with a mechanic to insure everything was ok before buying it. Car was a little worn aesthetically (after 8 years that's understandable) but the drive felt good so I was all set to buy it. Two days before the appointment I was just screwing around online not even looking for another car when a brand new Ohio dealer listing popped up on AutoTrader for the exact same car but 5,400 miles and asking only $3K more than the private seller. I thought it was a typo but set my alarm for 5:45am, 15 mins. before the dealership opened, and called right away. Lucky me I got a saleswoman just before she stepped into a meeting and that's pretty much it.

Wow, that's really cool. You must very well be the owner with the lowest mileage on an 05 LGT. Congrats. Get it tuned and enjoy the ride!

Wow, that's really cool. You must very well be the owner with the lowest mileage on an 05 LGT. Congrats. Get it tuned and enjoy the ride!

Ya he should go drive that baby. :wub:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just sent an email with a whole bunch of questions to Tuning Alliance but thought I'd post it here as well as it's relevant to the overall discussion and the answers can hopefully help other noobs as well (man, I hate calling myself a noob, but I is what I is...). Some of my questions are repeats to what I initially posted but I've added some new questions as well. Thanks for your patience and replies!

-------

My car is still under warranty so I'm interested in a tune for stock. If I understand correctly, when I bring it in for emissions I can put it back to a stock tune or is that not necessary?

There is a local tuning shop near me in Los Angeles that does tunes for $450. They don't sell tunes for people to upload themselves, like you do, because they say that tunes should be specific to each vehicle and what may work on one car may not work on another car even if it's the same model. What is your opinion about that?

I'm interested in doing it myself through a place like yours, but not if I'm losing benefit by not having it done by a shop that can tune specific to diagnostics run on my vehicle.

Are there different tuning options available for a stock car or is it pretty much one tune for stock and another tune for various stages of mods to the car?

What's the difference between going through an independent shop like yours and a big name place like Cobb? Seems like there are a lot of choices out there.

If I do the tune myself, what hardware do I need to buy? Can I use the same hardware on other cars (my friend has a Volvo V70R and I have a Honda Element that I'm guessing could benefit from a tune) or is it specific to Subaru?

TA, you are welcome to confirm or deny my answers below. Just trying to help :).

My car is still under warranty so I'm interested in a tune for stock. If I understand correctly, when I bring it in for emissions I can put it back to a stock tune or is that not necessary?

^ You can put the stock tune back but it is not necessary. From my understanding, what would fail your emission test would be running without a catalytic converter for instance.

There is a local tuning shop near me in Los Angeles that does tunes for $450. They don't sell tunes for people to upload themselves, like you do, because they say that tunes should be specific to each vehicle and what may work on one car may not work on another car even if it's the same model. What is your opinion about that?

^The tune that TA will provide is definitely specific to your car, since he will ask you to log various parameters from your vehicle, while you do what we call a 3rd gear pull for instance. The main differences between an open source tune from TA and a tune done in a shop is that it'll be done on a dyno, and not on an open road; AND you'll be the one doing the logging and the tuner will be the one 'tuning'. Whereas in a shop, they do everything. You just pay.

I'm interested in doing it myself through a place like yours, but not if I'm losing benefit by not having it done by a shop that can tune specific to diagnostics run on my vehicle.

^See previous answer.

Are there different tuning options available for a stock car or is it pretty much one tune for stock and another tune for various stages of mods to the car?

^The tune is specific to the current engine condition+aftermarket parts installed on it. So if you ever decide to change your downpipe for instance, you'd need to get 'retuned' for the conditions.

What's the difference between going through an independent shop like yours and a big name place like Cobb? Seems like there are a lot of choices out there.

^I'll let TA answer this question.

If I do the tune myself, what hardware do I need to buy? Can I use the same hardware on other cars (my friend has a Volvo V70R and I have a Honda Element that I'm guessing could benefit from a tune) or is it specific to Subaru?

You have two choices. Either you buy an accessport, or you go the opensource route. See the link I provided in post #39. Remember, TA is really the one doing the tune either way. You are only logging parameters for him since he can't physically drive your car.

TA, you are welcome to confirm or deny my answers below. Just trying to help :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcgt05 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

^ You can put the stock tune back but it is not necessary. From my understanding, what would fail your emission test would be running without a catalytic converter for instance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcgt05 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

^The tune that TA will provide is definitely specific to your car, since he will ask you to log various parameters from your vehicle, while you do what we call a 3rd gear pull for instance. The main differences between an open source tune from TA and a tune done in a shop is that it'll be done on a dyno, and not on an open road; AND you'll be the one doing the logging and the tuner will be the one 'tuning'. Whereas in a shop, they do everything. You just pay.

Quote:

^See previous answer.

Quote:

^The tune is specific to the current engine condition+aftermarket parts installed on it. So if you ever decide to change your downpipe for instance, you'd need to get 'retuned' for the conditions.

Quote:

Cobb does not provide custom tuning services, they only provide off the shelf type maps.

The difference between a Dyno tune and a E-tune, is the Dyno tune will have the advantage of using a wideband air/fuel sensor to calibrate your fueling. We also offer this service for customers with in range. Some E-tune customers can also install a wideband sensor a log with it, yeilding the best tune possible. Typically, this is done more often with cars with lots of modifications.

Although, getting a custom E-tune with us offers the advantage of multiple realtime condition logging and revisions. Where a local shop will tune your car on the dyno and send you on your way. TA will be here to review your logs in 6 or 12+ months down the road. The seasons in many areas create a varying conditions, which makes the cars run a bit different. So users can send winter and summer logs and be sure their tunes are dialed in for all conditions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm definitely going to do this - now just deciding which way to go. Obviously this is a decision I have to make myself but still curious about your opinion.

1. OpenSource on a computer = free software + cable ($15-$20?) + tune from Mike ($150) = approx. $170.

2. AccessPort V2 = $595 (+ tax and shipping probably) + tune from Mike ($95) = approx. $700.

Big difference in cost! I've been researching this stuff and it seems like the AccessPort is much more user friendly and more tidy, etc. but is it worth the extra $500? Are there things the AP can do that the software can't or same stuff but in nicer packaging?

Since I'm handcuffed by my warranty for a few years, meaning I can't make any hardware upgrades until it runs out, I'm probably looking at tuning the car stock as it is right now and then not doing anything else to it for a few years. If that's the case, seems like as nice as the AP is, the smarter way to go is with the software. Unless the AP is something I would end up using frequently beyond just doing the stock tune.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm definitely going to do this - now just deciding which way to go. Obviously this is a decision I have to make myself but still curious about your opinion.

1. OpenSource on a computer = free software + cable ($15-$20?) + tune from Mike ($150) = approx. $170.

2. AccessPort V2 = $595 (+ tax and shipping probably) + tune from Mike ($95) = approx. $700.

Big difference in cost! I've been researching this stuff and it seems like the AccessPort is much more user friendly and more tidy, etc. but is it worth the extra $500? Are there things the AP can do that the software can't or same stuff but in nicer packaging?

Since I'm handcuffed by my warranty for a few years, meaning I can't make any hardware upgrades until it runs out, I'm probably looking at tuning the car stock as it is right now and then not doing anything else to it for a few years. If that's the case, seems like as nice as the AP is, the smarter way to go is with the software. Unless the AP is something I would end up using frequently beyond just doing the stock tune.

The Cobb can in fact do more than the OS, like realtime map switching, multiple maps, 1/4 estimate, etc. The V3 Cobb is quite nice too and can display many things and replaces the need for gauges.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

mike,

I have no mods other than a K&N box filter, and I'm interested in a smoother slightly more powerful power curve that can get me a little better gas mileage... my question is how would this tune effect my warranty? would I be able to get something to revert my car to its stock tune to take it in for warranty work?

mike,

I have no mods other than a K&N box filter, and I'm interested in a smoother slightly more powerful power curve that can get me a little better gas mileage... my question is how would this tune effect my warranty? would I be able to get something to revert my car to its stock tune to take it in for warranty work?

If you have an Cobb AP you can uninstall it. Its difficult to answer this because all dealers seem to handle this differently.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived