LegacyGT.com

And You Said It Couldnt Be Done!!!

brooklyngenius

Those pictures are kinda small... Can you post anything bigger?

If you're using a MS Windows OS with Internet Explorere, open the pictures again and then drag your mouse over the bottom right corner. Click on the enlarge button when it appears. If you don't see it right away, drag your mouse outside the periphery of the picture and then wait until you see the picture file dialogue at the top left, then drag your mouse down to the bottom right corner. I'm not sure what it would look like with another OS, i.e. MAC or Linux.

I just opened one and then enlarged it to 1128 x 864 by clicking on the enlarge button. Makes it much easier to see the pic.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

great setup, I was planning to do something similar with the head unit. of topic question, how do you have a sunroof and unlimited legacy? when I got my car the dealer said sunroof comes with limited only, they were lying?

Some owners opted to have an aftermarket sunroof installed in their Non-limited 2.5is because they didn't want the GT amenities and extra cost.

SBT

to answer a few of the questions I've seen. those are 10s not 12s in a ported box (I love the deeper bass of 12s but 10s are better quality sound). my amps are behind the sub enclosure. the sunroof is indeed a subaru job it was something I deemed and important thing and they had one put in for me. it actually works better than the one in my 04 BMW 530i if you can believe that.

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

the sunroof is indeed a subaru job it was something I deemed and important thing and they had one put in for me. it actually works better than the one in my 04 BMW 530i if you can believe that.

Does this mean that you "ordered" a non-limited variant "with" a sunroof" or that you had the dealer install one for you before/after you took delivery? Or, did you mean that it was the same unit as a Subaru factory sunroof that was installed after the car was purchased?

A lot of owners on the board would be interested to hear this,particularly if you ordered it "with" the sunroof but "without" the limited package.

SBT

ok here's the deal I ordered the car with the sunroof from the dealer. if i understand correctly this is not the same as the factory sunroof on the limited. i was told it was a little bigger, it is however completely under the subaru warranty and serviceable by them. as for yall wanting to do dashes definatly let my guys over at stereo fx check it out. they do phenominal work and its not pricey. they are very handy and I am convinced that they can do anything. I stand behind them 100%

"First Bagged BL5!"

Okay got it. It's an aftermarket sunroof cassette unit that was installed by the dealer (or their installer more likely) as a condition of your purchase. And it has the full factory warranty which is nice. How do you like the unit and how does it differ (other than size) to a Limited version?

Fx did a sweet job on your car. Glad you like it. Now someone with a GT or a Limited get over there and have them check out your car.

SBT

ok the sunroof control has 5 buttons. the 2 buttons that you push and hold for either opening or closing, and 3 preset one touch buttons that do the following, 1 (pops up the roof as a vent), 2 (drops the roof down and slides it back), and 3 (fully closes the roof). also includes a function that atuomaticly closes the roof when the car is shut off so you never have to worry about forgetting to close it. and somebody definatly needs to get over to them! they truly are miracle workers.

"First Bagged BL5!"

If you're using a MS Windows OS with Internet Explorere, open the pictures again and then drag your mouse over the bottom right corner. Click on the enlarge button when it appears.

SBT

Ah... I'm using firefox. Will switch to IE for a minute to see pics. Thanks.

Geez, you need to update the title of the thread. Not to take anything away from this install, but the 2.5i models do not pose a technical challenge to installing an aftermarket stereo at all (a cosmetic challenge maybe, but not a technical one). Heck, you can buy a 2-DIN faceplate from Japan and eliminate the cosmetic issues too for 2.5i models.

Now, when someone does it in a GT/XT with integrated radio/HVAC circuitry, all while preserving the function of the HVAC controls, then I will be impressed!

Craig

can somebody post a pic of what the GT looks like. We did the G35 when they first came out, so where there is a will, there's usually a way.

It probably won't happen on a GT. The radio and the HVAC controls share a common circuit board and faceplate, and the wiring harness for the HVAC controls plugs into the back of the radio stack. About the only solution I see is to clip the speaker leads and route them to an aftermarket system, while keeping the factory radio/HVAC stack together and powered up. It can be stashed elsewhere in the car if you want the console real estate for the aftermarket system.

Bottom line, the HVAC and factory radio need to be kept intact and powered up if you want any sort of HVAC functions at all. That is the challenge in the GT model (and Outback XT, LLB, VDC models as well).

Craig

Has anybody tried this with the USDM? I thought there were issues since the JDM is RHD.

I think you need to micky-mouse the wiring for the hazard button, but otherwise it ought to work. I haven't actually verified that myself...

Craig

About the only solution I see is to clip the speaker leads and route them to an aftermarket system, while keeping the factory radio/HVAC stack together and powered up. It can be stashed elsewhere in the car if you want the console real estate for the aftermarket system.

Bottom line, the HVAC and factory radio need to be kept intact and powered up if you want any sort of HVAC functions at all. That is the challenge in the GT model (and Outback XT, LLB, VDC models as well).

Craig

that's what i did with mine - constant/switched/illumination power and gnd go to the factory HU, and i ran the front speaker output from it into a LOC and into an AUX input for my aftermarket HU (the other AUX input is for an MP3 player.)

i wasn't sure what the sound quality would be, but its great. i have a functional 6 disc changer in my dash, as opposed to a useless waste of space. :)

Archived