LegacyGT.com

Want a good sounding exhaust

How is this setup on the highway? Drone any?

Also, how does a suba-noob figure out what engine is in my leggy, all it is stamped with is "EJ25"... helps a lot....

Thanks!

you have the ej25d most likely... itll sound the same, freeway speeds it ends up very faint which is perfect imo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
id like to hear this! i was thinking of doing exhaust next, or maybe just a muffler and resonator, or maybe just cutting out the cats. or maybe doing two straight pipes coming straight back off the headers? anyone seen that?

i want it nice and deep

and pretty quiet

prob UEL headers soon

I'll try and get a video tonight. If you need exhaust help I can weld up some pipes if you wanna fix my cancer spot on my rear fender. You won't really get quiet and deep together. Its basically one or the other. Mine isn't super loud compared to a lot of the wrx's around town but its the loudest legacy I have heard on the road. UEL's are next on my list. Really bring that rumble out.

• 2 weeks later...
So I have an EJ22E and wanna get some exhaust work goin. I know Zues was talkin about keeping the piping 2.25" for back pressure reasons. Muffler shops can attach a muffler (thinking vibrant performance 1046) with a 2.5" inlet to the 2.25" piping, yeah? and then if I get an 18" resonator is there a particular brand people like or are they all pretty much the same. Just tryin to do it right heheh

I did 2.25 with a long glass pack where the old resonator used to be. I like it, plus glass packs have that low popping when you let off the gas as medium load.

I dont have a video but I'll explain it the best I can.

"chhsss chsss VROOM... rumblerumblerumblerumblerumble...(ride the clutch a bit)....VROOOOM...pop pop pop pop pop...VROOOOOOM...pop pop pop...VRROOOOOOOOOOM...pop pop pop pop pop... (skip 4th)... VROOOOOM...rumble...buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

I did 2.25 with a long glass pack where the old resonator used to be. I like it, plus glass packs have that low popping when you let off the gas as medium load.

I dont have a video but I'll explain it the best I can.

"chhsss chsss VROOM... rumblerumblerumblerumblerumble...(ride the clutch a bit)....VROOOOM...pop pop pop pop pop...VROOOOOOM...pop pop pop...VRROOOOOOOOOOM...pop pop pop pop pop... (skip 4th)... VROOOOOM...rumble...buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Lol...all I need is a still picture of the rear of your car with the description you gave of how it sounds and its complete. Good stuff dj.

awesome! cant stop loling

I read a long debate on piping diameter on a different thread. Zeus Marine says 2.25 is good in order to keep back pressure close to stock so as not to lose hp and mpg. He seems to know what he's talkin about so.. I'd listen. I'm actually about to get a cat-back system put on with 2.25" piping and Vibrant Perfmance's 18" resonator and 1046 muffler.

OEM is 1-7/8"

This is the current size on my brand new Bosal stock system for the GT. I'm going to try a few things with it & see if I can retain the TQ (I have learned that I am getting some nice lower end thanks to the stock setup.)

• 2 months later...

You could lose some low end but not horse power. Its all about volumetric effiecency. A large short runner intake would also lose low end power but have good gains in the upper rpms.

Im pretty satisfied with the exhaust its not too loud and is very deep. Sometimes it has too much of a baffle sound in the interior though. I want to hear what it sounds like passing by.

Archived