LegacyGT.com

Vehicle stalls out after hard stop

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My TC needs to be replaced... I bought the car used 3k miles ago, and the previous owner traded the car in because it stalled coming to stop. Subaru dealer then replaced timing belt and claims they couldn't recreate the stall, so did not replace TC.

Now after a month, I'm asked to pay $1500 to fix? I told them this was not okay and they offered to trade me into a red 10 Forester... Nope! I've seen there is a service bulletin for Outbacks having this problem, can anyone provide the service bulletin for the 12 legacy?

Do I need to repair this now, or can I deal with it if it ever completely fails? Is it damaging the tranny?

It is St Cloud Subaru in Minnesota. Service manager called today and I asked if they checked the tranny fluid from underneath. No they didn't do that, just quoted me $1500+ for torque converter replacement. I told him to check the fluid and call me back.

Again, do I need to replace this now or can I wait until a complete failure? If it is a washer slip like the TSB notes, is this affecting the tranny by depositing material into it? Please advise!

• I Donated
It is St Cloud Subaru in Minnesota. Service manager called today and I asked if they checked the tranny fluid from underneath. No they didn't do that, just quoted me $1500+ for torque converter replacement. I told him to check the fluid and call me back.

Again, do I need to replace this now or can I wait until a complete failure? If it is a washer slip like the TSB notes, is this affecting the tranny by depositing material into it? Please advise!

My advice is to call SOA. You shouldn't have to pay a cent for this. You bought the car, from the dealer, and the dealer was aware that the car was traded in due to this problem. The dealer, or SOA, should be liable.

While you're at it, ask SOA about getting a loaner until this is resolved.

My advice is to call SOA. You shouldn't have to pay a cent for this. You bought the car, from the dealer, and the dealer was aware that the car was traded in due to this problem. The dealer, or SOA, should be liable.

While you're at it, ask SOA about getting a loaner until this is resolved.

Spoke to SOA today, filed a complaint with the dealer. SOA says this sounds like poor integrity on the dealer's end. They told me to do things I've already done like get the Service Manager and GM involved...

Then I spoke to dealer service manager again. They told me they checked the tranny fluid and the level was "spot on, a little bit dirty, but nothing crazy." Then said it was definitely the torque converter. He then said the absolute lowest he could repair for was $1200. I told him to cut out his $500 labor and he wouldn't do it. I told him I would be filing a complaint with SOA (even though I already did), and getting my lawyer involved. He said he'd talk to the sales manager again to see if there's anything else they can do. I've had their loaner car, a 17 Outback since the diagnosis.

I just recieved a voicemail from the service manager saying he got the owner of the dealership involved, and will call me on Monday with a possible resolution.

At this point I'd let them buy the car back at the full price I paid, or repair it at no cost. We'll see what they come back with on Monday. Will keep updating.

The service manager called me back yesterday. After getting the owner involved, they will be repairing at no cost to me. This is great news. It just shouldn't have taken a week of me being stubborn to get the result I wanted. I called the manager back and thanked him for finally doing the right thing, and asked him to take care of the windshield wiper motor recall while they were at it. He clearly didn't want to talk to me any more. It definitely wasn't his decision to give me free repairs. Once I get my car back, I will not be returning to this dealership.

Hopefully the next guy has the same luck as me, on what should be a recalled torque convertor. Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

Archived