LegacyGT.com

Vehicle stalls out after hard stop

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
The only time my 6MT stalls is when I brain fart and release the clutch when I think the car is off. :)

Save the Manuals!!!!

My dad's 2010 Outback 2.5i 6MT did have a stalling problem when cold with the AC running. Fixed by a reflash, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this could be the same issue however; my '09 Ford Escape would run great however; come to almost stalling when going from 80kmh + to a stop. It would almost stall, and I couldn't figure out why. I had Ford at the time look over everything and only solution I found that worked was to Stop Filling Gas Too Full.

When I would pump gas I would always try and squeeze in an extra $3 bucks...not so good to do. When the pump stops, leave it. Don't try to get anymore in as it screws up the air balance or something within the tank.

Ever since I stopped overfilling, problem went away.

No definitely the TC.

Car came with a 3 month/3000 mile warrantee.

The Ford dealership wants to address it first but I don't need a band aid on it.

Service Mgr at Subaru said it would have to come them for the replacement

I'm afraid the Ford dealership may just screw it up worse. Super bad reviews

From the extended warrantee on the net so it even gets better.

I had the car one day and tomorrow I'm hoping they agree to just take the car back!

I'll let you guys know what the outcome amounts to. ;(

The Ford dealership is cooperating possible even giving me the Ford two year drive train Warrenty and will replace the T/C at the Suby dealership. Sounds to good to be true so lets see. Keep all posted

2011 Legacy CTV 75k.

Best regards and I do love this remarkable car..

• 1 month later...
My 11 just started stalling out, took it to the dealer this past week, said its the torque converter, thank god it has 54000 miles on it, warranty is covering it.

Ah I don't know.

Shameless no, but just the same the CVT is an awesome transmission.

Only shame is some repairs aren't backed by Subaru USA.

Also a torque converter isn't all a solution. Sometimes they require a valve body as well. Scott

• 5 months later...

Okay the latest on my replacement of the TQ.

Somehow the tech missed a bolt on the surpentine belt tensioner thus it broke off the engine landing on top of the splash shield.

At leaste I made it to the dealership to have them remidy their mistake but today I found a large 15mm nut also inside the engine compartment below the crank dampner,

Am I screwed?

What would you guys do?

Not happy...

Thanks Scott

• I Donated
Okay the latest on my replacement of the TQ.

Somehow the tech missed a bolt on the surpentine belt tensioner thus it broke off the engine landing on top of the splash shield.

At leaste I made it to the dealership to have them remidy their mistake but today I found a large 15mm nut also inside the engine compartment below the crank dampner,

Am I screwed?

What would you guys do?

Not happy...

Thanks Scott

I would go back and say you're not happy with the work the tech did and tell them you'd like a more experienced tech to do a thorough inspection of everything the other tech touched, free of charge. Maybe also push for a short-term warranty on all parts touched during the torque converter service.

I am a little confused though. They should not have had to touch the accessory belt(s) or tensioner(s) on order to replace a torque converter. Opposite ends of the engine.

I agree but they did say they removed the power steering pump which is adjacent to the tensioner and possibly missed some hardware there.

Invoice states they had to remove the entire power unit but I don't see much in the way of wrench marks anywhere.

Your right it should be inspected again and it will be.

:spin:

I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i premium with the CVT transmission. It has been stalling as I'm coming to a stop for almost 2 weeks. We've replaced the spark plugs, new air filter, cleaned carbon build up in the throttle and it's still stalling. The car has almost 117K miles on it so there is no warranty on it. Subaru is saying it's the torque converter (or something like that) in the transmission and that it will need a new transmission. I've had 2 other cars that had bad transmissions and neither one of them stalled like this. It will start right back up with no problem and only stalls as I'm coming to a stop (not while driving thankfully). Any ideas on whether or not this really is the transmission or if it could be something else?

• 1 year later...
Torque converter replacement cured the problem $1285.00 later.

I have the same issue like everyone else here.

2010 Subaru Legacy stalled out at stops and etc...

Dealer called and said it need new Torque Converter, except they charging me $1700 for whole service. Dealership right outside of Philly.

I told them to value my car and trade that piece of shit in. (of course i didnt get another subaru)

2 Years ago, my whole cpu had to be replaced. Luckily i bought the extended warrant. It was 1000 miles under the expired mileage. Luck out on that, if not it would have cost me a loooot of money.

Bought this car brand new but I will never buy another subaru.

Dealer called and said it need new Torque Converter, except they charging me $1700 for whole service. Dealership right outside of Philly.

I told them to value my car and trade that piece of shit in. (of course i didnt get another subaru)

2 Years ago, my whole cpu had to be replaced. Luckily i bought the extended warrant. It was 1000 miles under the expired mileage. Luck out on that, if not it would have cost me a loooot of money.

You registered on a Subaru enthusiast forum simply to tell us that you won't buy another Subaru?

Ok. Thanks, I guess.

So you joined the forum to let us know you traded in your Subaru and will never buy another one...:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. My 2008 Outback Legacy wagon car is having same issues. Started after alternator was replaced at 150k. Dealer Service said timing, brought it back and it no longer stalled but after that it developed as you describe, loud ticking, huffing puffing after driving and at a stop in traffic or light it tries to stall, idle bottoms out, when I remove foot from brake and apply gas. Have to remove foot from gas so it will NOT stall. It regains composure and I continue. However, engine light and engine failure on coldest day of the year. Engine declared dead, cause unknown, but due to engine oil consumption problem. Decided to replace engine because I could not find similar vehicle, could not afford a Volvo. Now with all engine (new long block for a pretty penny), belts hose and water pumps, sparks, ALL new it still has this stall issue, no dealer mech has been able to "duplicate." Ticking is now knocking after running car for drives over 1 hour (which is my daily commute).

And here we are, thousands sunk into vehicle and

• 8 months later...

My TC needs to be replaced... I bought the car used 3k miles ago, and the previous owner traded the car in because it stalled coming to stop. Subaru dealer then replaced timing belt and claims they could recreate the stall, so did not replace TC.

Now after a month, I'm asked to pay $1500 to fix? I told them this was not okay and they offered to trade me into a red 10 Forester... Nope! I've seen there is a service bulletin for Outbacks having this problem, can anyone provide the service bulletin for the 12 legacy?

Do I need to repair this now, or can I deal with it if it ever completely fails? Is it damaging the tranny?

• I Donated
My TC needs to be replaced... I bought the car used 3k miles ago, and the previous owner traded the car in because it stalled coming to stop. Subaru dealer then replaced timing belt and claims they could recreate the stall, so did not replace TC.

Now after a month, I'm asked to pay $1500 to fix? I told them this was not okay and they offered to trade me into a red 10 Forester... Nope! I've seen there is a service bulletin for Outbacks having this problem, can anyone provide the service bulletin for the 12 legacy?

Do I need to repair this now, or can I deal with it if it ever completely fails? Is it damaging the tranny?

That sounds super shady. If the dealer doesn't fix it, let us know who it was so we can avoid them.

Archived