LegacyGT.com

How long did your original Boost Buddy live?

How long did your original turbo last?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How long did your original turbo last?

• 100,000+
    • Still Original!

There is a massive thread on turbo failures and it mostly involves 20005 vintages using the vf40 turbo.

Your 87k LGT is about 10k away from the dreaded lifespan that many hit and get a blown turbo. Some just blow a turbo some blow a turbo and grenade the engine with it.

I am in the same spot as you now. Original owner since feb 05. 122k Kms on it ( which is 76k miles) and I'm looking to swap turbos as a Fail safe precaution.

Do they go back to the VF40 in the 20005 LGT?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My wife is at 135k on our original 2005 LGT turbo with no mods, its fine so far.

Have not touched the banjo bolt.

We use 3000-4000 OCI with dealer and independent mechanic conventional engine oil.

My wife is at 135k on our original 2005 LGT turbo with no mods, its fine so far.

Have not touched the banjo bolt.

We use 3000-4000 OCI with dealer and independent mechanic conventional engine oil.

I suppose she doesnt boost much? I guess if you really baby it it should last quite a long time but then its no fun hahaha.

I think it's less about her driving it and more about the OCI. Mine went at 77K but I bought it at 62K. Prepurchase inspection was solid but who knows what the PO did in regards to maintenance outside of documented dealer visits. My recent dealer experience tells me you might as well have Jiffy Lube work on your car in comparison. Those guys are a f***ing joke. Don't even get me started on the sh!t they did to my car for a turbo warranty replacement.

dont you have bbk on that durango? in for pics

Wilwood BBK, Stage2 pnp intake mod, giant rsb, Moog suspension and steering, Bilstein HD struts, additional trans cooler, dana 60 lsd, totally custom built hd towing trans from Oceanside Transmissions, helper airbags with onboard compressor/gauges/controls, ram leaf springs, prodigy p3, poly bushings, etc, etc.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150929

384530_338468999500600_100000125096455_1513512_916632458_n.jpg

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bought-airstream-pics-inside-157379p2.html

http://i56.tinypic.com/9ljz3o.jpg

Sorry for the OT

Still running oem since 2004 at 101k now

Replacing with vf52 soon for a bit more hp not because I'm worried about it blowing up or failing because I'm not. It still pulls nicely

I'm sure it'll go 300k+ but I won't get to say that

Banjo removed

That is some hardcore OT LALGT :lol:

Im a photowhore.;)

I think impossible is a serious stretch of the imagination, particularly when reading the how many miles thread. Some of the success stories in that thread were what drove the purchase of the OBXT.

You high milers must all after aftermarket turbo oiling feeds, yes? It is impossible for OEM turbos to last high mileage on the OEM oiling system.

Not true, like I said, I'm at 112k miles on OEM turbo and oiling system. Stage 1 tune and she is running strong still. My sucess is maintainance...maintainance....and yup......maintainance. I am a maintainance whore. Engine always stay clean and all oils/fluids/belts are change during their recommend time.

My wife's balls are delicious.

122k miles on original turbo, uppipe, and banjo filters. Didn't even know they existed til I joined here in may or something this year. I don't beat on it cold but all other times I drive hard. I change the oil when I remember, and I use Valvoline synthetic oil. Catless dp. No turbo issues yet.

No poll option for me (replaced it before it blew).

Went stage 2 at 38K, replaced with BNR16g at 63K. Now at 88.5K. I went through the same thing as you, and now have much more peace of mind..

Almost 211k on the original oil feed lines, motor & VF-40 turbo. 15k OCI, custom stage2 tune, peaking at 18.5psi. See above 6k shift everyday I drive it. Banjo filter bolt; New ones put in at 73k. Remove the filter in the banjo bolts at 174K. Running Amsoil SSO oil & Ea oil filters. My filter bolts was clean after 100K. So I removed both filters in the banjo bolts & let the Duel by-pass, 2 micron filtration system take care of the small stuff.

Oil history from day1:

New. SOA filter & oil 4000 miles

1st. oil & filter change till 30k, Mobil1, 5w-30 every 6000 miles \ Fram oil

filter every 3000 miles.

Amsoil 0w-30 SSO and Amsoil Ea oil filter, Ea15k13 oil filter at 30k-73k .

At 73K, my filtration I use.http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/get-your-oil-filtration-down-2-microns-81741.html My oil system now is 7qt. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI.

Oil consummation hasn't change sense car was new.

Most off the shelf oil filter, filter down between 20 & 40 microns. Amsoil full-flow oil filter is 15 microns & Amsoil By-Pass oil filter is 2 microns.

This filtration system add 2qts. of oil to you motor. Which help keep the oil cooler.

My G\F's 05 WRX use same oil & OCI, but uses 1 single spin-on, Ea15k13 oil filter. The WRX as over 152k. I add 2-4qts over the 15k OCI.

Oil consummation hasn't change sense car was new.

My 07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, 2.0L DI turbo charge motor, Same oil & OCI, but No Ea filter is available. I use a WIX filter. Change oil filter only every 5k. GXP as over 87k. No oil consummation over it's 15k OCI.

In short, check you oil level often & top as needed. Use oil & filter that will protect for the OCI your running. OA's is the only way you know that your oil & filter is up for the challenge. After that IMO no OA's are needed.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Well so far, I think it has helped me keep my mind at peace because if this many has lasted way higher than mine with the filter and catted up pipe still in, as long as I keep up on regular maintenance the car should be just fine. I might remove the filter and get a cat-less up pipe just for fun anyways. Next thing is just, what the heck, these engines tick and are very noisy lol but I also read that is 100% normal in a Subaru Boxer motor! I have much to learn young grasshopper...Lmfao

Archived