LegacyGT.com

Oil usage poll

Per ~5000 miles, how much oil does your LegacyGT use?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Per ~5000 miles, how much oil does your LegacyGT use?

• None
    • Up to 1/2 quart
    • 1/2 to 3/4 quart
    • 3/4 to 1 quart
    • 1 to 1.5 quarts
    • Over 1.5 quarts

maybe I dont know much about turbo cars but isn't oil usage usually a sign of a serious problem? and should NEVER occur in a new car? or even a car newer than 10 years old for that matter?
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Seems to be more of an issue of blowby with a turbo engine. Mine has done it from day 1..... I have heard many others with the same problem...hence the poll....

I never had another car the used a drop, including a 240k mile Pontiac and my 164k Z28.

meh, wish I'd have known that before buying, gonna be burning oil like a 70s car in 5 years? I guess ya just dont mention that when you put it up for sale later eh? lol

well what I already knew was NO car is perfect, this one is the closest on the market for me.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Oil consumption isn't necessarily a forecast for future trouble. My understanding is that the WRX's and STI's have the same issue.

More than likely, it is just due to the extra blowby due to the boost and the ring and ring land design. It doesn't mean that you are going to have failures down the road.

More than likely, the consumption rate will decline as the engine breaks in.

I am currently at 16,000 miles and I am using about 1/2 to 3/4 quart between changes (5,000 mile intervals). Originally, I was using more like a quart.....

I made the switch to Mobil 1 synthetic at 1800 miles.

My daily driving habits are short trips in heavy traffic, so although my car is low mileage, the factory oil was over 3 months old at the time I made the switch.

I then went 6 months and 4,000 miles on the first Mobil 1 change, swapping the oil out again at 5,800. The car is now at 6200 miles, and its never used any oil.

If you think your Legacy is burning oil, let it sit for a couple hours before checking the dipstick level.

Just read on another board (sorry lost the link) a fellow used M1 5w-30 for all of the 98,000 miles his Chevy's 4.3L engine lasted. Regular changes, etc etc etc. I'll try to post the link.

Just read on another board (sorry lost the link) a fellow used M1 5w-30 for all of the 98,000 miles his Chevy's 4.3L engine lasted. Regular changes, etc etc etc. I'll try to post the link.

Show me a story like that about a Subaru motor, then I'll be worried.

All internal combustion engines consume oil! You may not be able to detect it, due to a couple of reasons like:

1. You have some fuel dilution which thins the oil, and covers itself by still showing full on the stick.

2. The oil has suspended contaminates, which also help to replace the oil that was lost due to consumption.

3. Oil oxidizes as it gets exposed to the byproducts of engines, and therefore thickens some.

What I am saying is, engines by design, use some oil. Some use more than others, BUT ALL use some.

I have around 26k on my car, and I have had oil analysis' on almost all changes. And only just recently, did my consumption come down from about .75-1.0 qt per 5k,to .25 qt for 4k.

I'm currently using Pennzoil Platinum 10w30, and so far I like this oil best! I have used Mobil 1 10w30, Castrol (GC) 0w30, Castrol GTX 5w30, Chevron Supreme 5w30&10w30, and Penn Dino 10w30. Not in any particular order, but I favored the Chevron/Penn dino, and the Platinum on synthetics. I will be due for an analysis with the Platinum fill, in about 2k or about a month. I will post my results, which I expect to be real good!

Bottom line, do not be overly worried about some oil consumption, unless it is excessive, like 1qt per 1k, after being broken in. During breakin, I used almost 1qt per 1.5k, for the 1st OCI, then it slowly went down to the current .25qt per 4k levels.

I'm not an oil expert, but I have been reading the BITOG forum, and there is a wealth of info for anyone interested in anything oil related!

Huh this thread is funny I just checked My oil yesterday after about 5k and saw that it was down about 3/4 QT and thought wonder if this is normal. Log on this morning and here it is car has 9,800 miles on it. The last oil change after 3000 miles had no oil loss.

I'm currently using Pennzoil Platinum 10w30, and so far I like this oil best! I have used Mobil 1 10w30, Castrol (GC) 0w30, Castrol GTX 5w30, Chevron Supreme 5w30&10w30, and Penn Dino 10w30. Not in any particular order, but I favored the Chevron/Penn dino, and the Platinum on synthetics. I will be due for an analysis with the Platinum fill, in about 2k or about a month. I will post my results, which I expect to be real good!

Any particular reason why you like the Penzoil Platinum the best? I'm about to go shopping for my next oil change and was wondering what to go with.

Ken

My buddy worked for Lubrizol, who makes most of the additives for engine oil (detergents, flow modifiers, etc.). He told me that Valvoline and Pennzoil use the most additives (good) vs. Quaker State which uses the least (bad).

This was about 10 years ago though....

Anyhow... I am a loyal Valvoline user.....

Any particular reason why you like the Penzoil Platinum the best? I'm about to go shopping for my next oil change and was wondering what to go with.

Ken

Pennzoil uses very high quality base oils in their Dino's, and this latest Platinum is supposedly EOP, kinda like a new generation PAO oil! There haven't been very many OCI analysis's done on it, but I trust Penn. and I remember back a few years ago when they had the absolute best synthetic out there called Pennzane? not sure on the spelling.

This new Platinum is said to have no Grp III in it, so it is a true synthetic, much like Castrol GC, M1, Amsoil, Redline, etc...

But also cost was a factor! I was able to get it for $1.59 qt, after a $15 rebate! At that price, there are no downsides!

I will be getting an analysis done on it soon, like within a month or so. It will have at least 6k on it, maybe even 7k. My last few analysis's revealed that I could go even further,(8k), but I will play it conservatively, until I find out how good it is.

PS Currently you can get a $10 rebate on a case purchase, until July 31st. This will make it less expensive than pretty much any OTC synthetic.

Pennzoil uses very high quality base oils in their Dino's, and this latest Platinum is supposedly EOP, kinda like a new generation PAO oil! There haven't been very many OCI analysis's done on it, but I trust Penn. and I remember back a few years ago when they had the absolute best synthetic out there called Pennzane? not sure on the spelling.

This new Platinum is said to have no Grp III in it, so it is a true synthetic, much like Castrol GC, M1, Amsoil, Redline, etc...

But also cost was a factor! I was able to get it for $1.59 qt, after a $15 rebate! At that price, there are no downsides!

I will be getting an analysis done on it soon, like within a month or so. It will have at least 6k on it, maybe even 7k. My last few analysis's revealed that I could go even further,(8k), but I will play it conservatively, until I find out how good it is.

PS Currently you can get a $10 rebate on a case purchase, until July 31st. This will make it less expensive than pretty much any OTC synthetic.

I didn't see any references to PAO at all. If it were there, they'd be bragging about it, one might think.

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/EngineOils/Pdf/PlatinumFullSyntheticMotorOil.pdf

I suspect this is a GROUP III oil. Prove me wrong and I'll buy some, but where's the rebate form at?

I didn't see any references to PAO at all. If it were there, they'd be bragging about it, one might think.

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/EngineOils/Pdf/PlatinumFullSyntheticMotorOil.pdf

I suspect this is a GROUP III oil. Prove me wrong and I'll buy some, but where's the rebate form at?

You would need to see the materials datasheet, and from it be able to decipher what the synthetic compunds are called. Not very easy, but if you visit BITOG and search for Johnny, he works for Pennzoil and has some insider info, you will be able to judge for yourself.

You would need to see the materials datasheet, and from it be able to decipher what the synthetic compunds are called. Not very easy, but if you visit BITOG and search for Johnny, he works for Pennzoil and has some insider info, you will be able to judge for yourself.

This is looking like a Grp III to me:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:iYs3Jc31-2wJ:www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3306/is_1_115/ai_n10301062+PENNZOIL+PLATINUM+SYNTHETIC+-AMSOIL&hl=en&lr=lang_en

I'll pass.

• 3 months later...

Well, I got back just about as much as I expected - which is to say, darned near all of it, on my last oil-change of Mobil1 10W30.

Currently on Mobil1 5W30, we'll see how this goes.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived