LegacyGT.com

Car gun safe

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stricter requirements on who/when/where you can CCW

Oh, I thought you were suggesting the opposite.

Like I've mentioned before, I'm a LEO, it's my job to carry. But, when I'm off duty, I have to carry concealed and I still can't carry in certain places.

Trust me, here in NY we have stricter requirements than you do in PA.

what the hell are you guys so afraid of?

You realize you're like 5 times more likely to get shot/killed than people who don't act like Wyatt Earp.

Very interested in seeing some sort of actual data showing that CPL/CCW holders are 5x more likely to get shot than people who don't carry.

On Topic:

Depends on what you're trying to accomplish by leaving it in the car. For a short period of time, I'll leave it in the glove box. For a longer stint, a vault in the trunk or I just don't take it with me. If your looking for an easy-access while in the car option, there are strong rubber coated magnets that you can use to attach a firearm under your seat.

That study has nothing to do with concealed weapon permit holders and in fact if you look at the data, most of the people who were carrying guns were doing so illegally or for illegal purposes. 54% of those killed in the study had prior arrests and 48% of the cases involved alcohol or drugs. No mention in the study at all about how many people had a permit.

If you're gonna link a study, link the actual study and not the interpretation of some non-peer-reviewed British magazine. Here's the actual study:

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.2008.143099

^what he said unless you have some specific need for something out of the ordinary. Keep in mind anything that will slow someone down meaningfully will be ~100lbs+

That study has nothing to do with concealed weapon permit holders and in fact if you look at the data, most of the people who were carrying guns were doing so illegally or for illegal purposes. 54% of those killed in the study had prior arrests and 48% of the cases involved alcohol or drugs. No mention in the study at all about how many people had a permit.

If you're gonna link a study, link the actual study and not the interpretation of some non-peer-reviewed British magazine. Here's the actual study:

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.2008.143099

I was about to post the same thing. That study doesn't mention how many people had lawful cch permits. Many of those shootings happened during illegal activities, ie drug deals.

i remember there being a study on gun related crimes in states that lower their gun laws, it proved that gun related crime dropped by over 15% on average. i thought it sounded like bs, they explained that you never know who has a gun and who doesnt, so criminals and others that would illegally carry would hold back on robbing someone at gun point knowing that there is a bigger chance that the one you pull a gun on might just have one too.

im sure this post is going to spark some arguments, im not convinced that its true, i would think if it was easier to get a gun legally than its going to be just as easy to get one illegally.

O jebus.

If all threads that mentioned the word "gun" could just be titled, "Let's start arguing about gun control," we would all save ourselves a lot of time getting there.

Could everyone that doesn't have anything meaningful to say about the original topic just take a deep breath, snap off a bite of your rice cake, exhale, and take your opinions to another thread?

I for one use a keyed safe. It has four access points and is quite portable. It also features a 2.5L turbocharged engine. Seriously, if that doesn't do the trick, a car safe isn't going to help much. A concealed holster, secured to the floor/wall within reach of the driver, works well.

Tits mcgee

I have a customer that has a fake headunit. He can push his hand into the headunit and the faceplate folds in and reveals a compartment with his gun in it.

I guess it's not really fake though, cause it's still a functioning head unit.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

^Thats pretty neat.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned leaving it loaded in the car. Since I use a paddle holster, I can take that off and put it in the safe with the gun still in it.

I think the big difference between us is that you are a LEO and I am not a CCW: I did not think about having the gun LOADED since I consider semiauto (glock) my protection sidearm and figured if I wanted to go see a movie after going to the range it was easy enough to toss the magazines in the ammo box and just lock the pistol though the breech. I can see how this would NOT be an ideal situation for you. (Lets lock up the gun, make it hard to get unlocked AND make it unloaded? Just won't work for you like it will for me - you have CCW/LEO needs).

You need just the right product that would not work for a lot of us. I totally respect that and agree.

I know we are trying to stay on topic but I have to ask, what is the consequence in NY of CCW somewhere that firearms are prohibited that is NOT a government building. If you go to a pub, and they dont want firearms, what can they really do? Ask you to leave? Won't you only get a ticket if you don't (on a first offence)? I am not trying to be a smartass and month ago I may not have suggested it but...

what the hell are you guys so afraid of?

You realize you're like 5 times more likely to get shot/killed than people who don't act like Wyatt Earp.

Well, I'm afraid of getting in trouble and lose my right to own one for life :lol:.

What would actually be kind of cool would be a spare tire mount gun safe. Replace the organizer tray over the spare tire with a piece of plywood, use a nut to secure it to the spare tire, bolt the safe to the plywood and fabricate a box to cover that. Then cover all of that up out of sight under the trunk carpeting.

I know we are trying to stay on topic but I have to ask, what is the consequence in NY of CCW somewhere that firearms are prohibited that is NOT a government building. If you go to a pub, and they dont want firearms, what can they really do? Ask you to leave? Won't you only get a ticket if you don't (on a first offence)? I am not trying to be a smartass and month ago I may not have suggested it but...

Any owner of private property can refuse to let anyone on their property regardless of whether or not they carry a gun, with the obvious exception of on duty law enforcement. Even then, unless there is a crime being committed, they can be refused entry unless they have a warrant.

Let's say I own a donut shop. I can refuse anyone with a firearm entry. Of course, if it's concealed, how would I know you have it? But if i do see it, I can legally ask you to leave. If you leave, then nothing further can happen to you. If you refuse to leave, then you could be charged with menacing, disorderly conduct, harassment, trespassing, etc.

Or let's say, you're going to a minor league baseball game or something. When you try to get through security, they can refuse you entry.

^Thats pretty neat.

I think the big difference between us is that you are a LEO and I am not a CCW: I did not think about having the gun LOADED since I consider semiauto (glock) my protection sidearm and figured if I wanted to go see a movie after going to the range it was easy enough to toss the magazines in the ammo box and just lock the pistol though the breech. I can see how this would NOT be an ideal situation for you. (Lets lock up the gun, make it hard to get unlocked AND make it unloaded? Just won't work for you like it will for me - you have CCW/LEO needs).

You need just the right product that would not work for a lot of us. I totally respect that and agree.

It depends on the state. A very good friend of mine (from NH) had to plead to a FELONY in New Jersey even thou his hunting rifle was locked in the trunk:eek:

He served TIME!!!!!!

I think NY is worse:eek::eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

^^ What was he charged with??

Illegal possession of a firearm:eek: His buddies, who were hunting in PA, were also charged:mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I think here in KS if you go where they post a sign it's a $50 fine if you get caught the first time (this is assuming you have a CCH permit):

http://ag.ks.gov/public-safety/concealedcarry/approved-signage

I have one of the cable type safes people have been showing. It's in my trunk, the cable is wrapped around holes in the frame and the box itself is tucked behind a blanket in the cargo net. Hard to see unless you are looking for it. I agree it will only slow someone down not prevent them from taking what's in it. I only have it in the event I have to go into a place that won't let me carry. So far I haven't used the safe it's more of a just in case I need it. My carry handgun is an XD SC40

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

• I Donated
My XD9 subcompact is my primary off duty weapon. I love it.

When I bought my M&P9c, it was either that or the XD 9 compact. I chose the S&W and was very happy I did. The XD is a great gun...but it just wasn't as comfortable as the M&P

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived