LegacyGT.com

quick spec.B drain plug help please

Dbl_D718

Trying to change my transmission fluid went from an easy job to not knowing what to do for me.

The secondary drain plug for the spec.B transmission is apparently made of really soft metal because it just rounds and distorts as I'm trying to back it out. Below is a pic. WTF do I do now? I don't want to ruin the bolt head even more by just continuing to try the ratchet.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/Dbl_D718/2012-07-18_19-47-55_399.jpg

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Well vice grips weren't the answer. It's practically crumbling under any tool I get on there. I don't have bolt extractors but I guess I'll be buying some.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

OK, soaked the plug in WD-40 several times over 3 hours, bought and tried bolt extractors. The head is 14mm, so I tried that size first. The extractor gripped, got tight, and then removed what was left of the hex shape without budging the bolt. The 13mm size did the same thing after that.

WTF. Why is this drain plug so seized in there? Gonna have to fill it up with the old fluid and take it to a shop to have the plug removed now probably, since the main plug came out no problem.

Or, I guess I could drop the entire pan to drain the fluid out. I don't see a gasket in the parts diagram online for the pan. Then I could drill out the old plug while the pan is off the car. Input?

Seems like more work to me than I would want to do. Just go buy an extractor kit at the local auto parts store or home depot or something.

If there is no gasket then it uses an rtv silicone form-a-gasket instead most likely.

Gonna have a shop do it since it'd probably cost the same after I go out and buy the right drill bits and extractors to drill it out (shop estimated less than an hour labor, $40). Not to mention that since I've never done it, i might fuxxor things up more than it is already.

Now the question is...I drained the fluid into a catch pan obviously. Can I just funnel it back in as is, or should I filter/strain it somehow? What about motor oil residue that was in the pan? The shop is ~3 miles away, and I need to make another ~3 mile trip with it today if possible.

There's a secondary drain plug? That's a 6MT thing I guess?

BTW, WD40 isn't a penetrating fluid. PB Blaster and Kroil are. Use those.

Yeah 6MT thing. And that's good to know for future use on the penetrating fluids. WD-40 was what I had, so I used it.

Anyway, thanks for helping the newb. I'm good until something doesn't go as planned, then I don't always know the solution. Found some really fine wire screen to run the fluid through as I was refilling, glad I did cuz it caught some stuff. Taking it to the shop tomorrow morning.

Then I'll try the rear diff at home again lol.

Keep in mind the 6mt has two drain plugs and both require crush gaskets. They are both different sizes for the crush gaskets if i remember correctly.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/subaru-manual-transmission-drain-plug-washer-s.html

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Archived