LegacyGT.com

What tool do you DIY'ers use to remove lug nuts?

mele63

Last time I tried to rotate my tires in my driveway I gave up after realizing some numbskull at the local garage torqued the suckers to about a trillion lbs. with an air wrech.

Now, I want to remove my new LGT's wheels and clean and polish/seal/wax the the inner rims and paint the callipers (semi-gloss black; no rice flames please).

What, other than an air wrench do you recommend? A 1/2" ratchet with a breaker bar and good deep well socket? A four-way lug wrench? ( I assume the lug wrench that comes with the car is a P.O.S.). If I use common sense in the pattern and such, do I need to bother with a torque wrench?

I don't use a 4-way lug wrench, just a breaker bar, a torque wrench, an electirc drill (or impact air gun if its available), the necessary sockets and an aluminum floor jack.

As for torquing the wheels down, I always do it. I don't want to overtorque or undertorque the nuts. Overtorque is obviously preferable of the two, but it can wear out your wheel studs. A good torque wrench is a bit expensive, but I think its worth it. If for nothing else, for peace of mind.

One interesting thing, though, is that I've heard you can use the wrench that comes with your spare tire kit to torque your wheels down safely. Its length, and material is supposedly designed so that if you pull as hard as you can, you will get a pretty close to the recomended torque. You won't overtorque the nuts and they certainly won't be undertorqued.

Don't know if its true or not, and I prefer to use a torque wrench.

I use an air wrench for removal and installation. I don't torque them down all the way with the air wrench though. Final torque is set with a click stop torque wrench (the Husky ones at HD are ok for the $). I also have an 18" breaker bar just in case. I don't like the 4 way lug wrenches at all.

maybe this also has to do with the types of lugs you use? I have McGard SplineDrive's which have a rotating seat. I have never had an issue breaking lugs with my folding t-wrench which I keep in the car.

maybe this also has to do with the types of lugs you use? I have McGard SplineDrive's which have a rotating seat. I have never had an issue breaking lugs with my folding t-wrench which I keep in the car.
what's a folding t-wrench? I may need to get one of those. I'm using the spline drives as well and it's a non-metric socket for the key so you're pretty much SOL if you aren't carrying the correct socket when you get a flat. I think the stock oem lugs are 17mm.

hey that is cool and not expensive at all.

This is in the description: The wrench displays both SAE and Metric measurements. WTF does that mean :confused: All 4 sides are different sizes and there's a socket that will work for the oem lugs and the spline drives?

it means two sides are metric and two are SAE (both stock and the McGard key are covered). I keep one of those folding wrenches in each car, as we have SplineDrives on both. You also need to keep stock lugs for the spare if you want to use it ;)

If your going to be working on your car. like pdw said go to sears and buy a set of tools and a 1/2 drive torque wrench. If your going to save money by doing things yourself, do it right and buy good tools. Don't skimp on the important things. To break the nuts lose you may need to slide a 24" piece of pipe of the 1/2 ratchet or breaker bar.

I torque the lug nuts to 108ftlbs I have found that much less then 100ft the lugs will lossen up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived