LegacyGT.com

First Look: Spearco's new TMIC for the '08+ WRX/LGT...

atchipmunk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of office reply....

On vacation. ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

hell i wanted to run a duct from the bottom of my tmic beside the tranny and use 2 rc plane ducted fan setups to make sure the tmic got sufficient airflow and didn't heat soak... then i decided i didn't wanna hack up my harness so i'm going fmic.

meth is never the answer..b strong man. :lol: i personally like the results of FMIC. i just switched from an IPR tmic and love everything about the front mount. Turbo lag isnt that bad and you can run almost any style turbo with an fmic

Have you had a chance to retune with this IC? If so, what were your results?

I have not done a retune yet. Still pulling together some parts to go Stage 2+ w/ EWG before I get it retuned. Have a GS 38mm EWG UP and Tial 38mm MV-S Wastegate already waiting to go on. Just need to pick up a DP and 3-port boost controller (GS or Cobb) and i'll be ready to make the jump to Stage 2.

Are group buys still available…is anybody putting one together?

The GB for this TMIC took place over on 3GWRX. I think the guy that started it posted over here a while back, but it got deleted due to infringement of the vendor rules. Not sure if it's still possible to get in on the GB, though but you might want to check out the GB thread over there (http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php/topic,18868.0.html) and contact the OP, or try contacting Spearco directly. I can give you the contact guy over at Spearco if you want to contact him directly. Just PM me...

I would like to see some # on how this thing does.

nobody has a dyno graph or a log to post? i am interested as well to see how this thing does...it looks like it could work well

Several of the guys that partook in the first shipment of the GB over on 3GWRX have gotten their cars tuned and have hit some decent numbers. Don't think any of them have any upgraded turbo's though...think they're all still running the stock WRX turbos. Check out the GB thread as there have been a couple of dyno plots posted.

• 4 months later...

Time for some results. Thanks to those who've asked me by PM for progress with this part.

I want to say first that I've had a long and complicated process of working with this intercooler, much of which is my fault. For example, I installed the IC and allowed my Innovate LC-1 to start up with the heater wires open-circuit. This causes the heater (not the sensor) to lose calibration, which throws off AFR readings. I had first installed the Spearco while running on stock exhaust manifolds and immediately noticed I had lower boost and richer AFRs. I did indeed have some boost leaks, apparent from the way boost rose and then quickly fell to a lower level. I fixed the boost leaks but didn't believe that to be the case, since both boost and AFRs were still consistently below my targets. Those who have spent time chasing down real boost leaks will appreciate the frustration of chasing down imaginary ones. :rolleyes:

It is a big core and a bit of a pig to get on and off, hence the slow progress.

I had the IC core pressure tested, and the BPV, and confirmed all other connections were solid before realizing my LC-1 needed recalibration. With that done I could see AFRs matched my previous MAF scaling, which was within 2% from the end of rich dip in spool up to redline. At this time however I had fitted a new Tomei EL header which of course skews the results somewhat. I'm being careful here to only show you results from the same setups.

First thing I notice is that when running the same tune as with the stock TMIC I am at far lower boost. By this time it had been mentioned by several tuners, including Eric Minehart who I hold in high regard, that the '09~ (VF-52) WRX models had needed a lot of extra WGDC added to regain the original boost levels seen before installing the Spearco. This is the other factor that convinced me I'd fixed the boost leaks.

This is pre and post-install of the Spearco. Same BNR 16G turbo, Tomei header, 3-port BCS etc.

[ATTACH]133932[/ATTACH]

You can see clearly the much slower spool and overall failure to reach boost target. I'm not actually running that rich... it's the LC-1 that needs recalibration. Turbo dynamics is wound up to the limit here trying to hit target boost but to no avail. Note that the blue curve with the stock TMIC is hitting about 274g/s vs. 265g/s from the Spearco (my MAF scaling, not stock). Although the peak numbers are close the car is noticeably slower past 5k5rpm! It may be possible to add timing at high rpm and regain the power I had on the stock TMIC with lower boost.

After talking a bit with Eric I opted to redo boost control and increase WGDC across the board in an effort to prop up the sagging boost curve.

[ATTACH]133933[/ATTACH]

Please note that the blue line in this case is the same pull as the stock TMIC line above, also in blue, used for reference. All I've done here is increase WGDC to match the original spool, regain the original boost peak, and attempt to hold the same 16.5psi at redline. You'll see how on the Spearco, boost falls about 2psi short of target at redline despite having cranked WGDC up to 92%. Note the Spearco is still only pulling 265g/s despite winding WGDC up to the limit.

It's been said on many occasions the stock VF-40 boost actuator is weak. Mine cracked open at just on 10psi which leads me to believe it's easily blown open at high manifold EGBP. My buddy put together a 1bar actuator for me from spare parts laying around the shop. It actually opens at around 13.6psi adjusted fully tight, but it will do for now.

[ATTACH]133934[/ATTACH]

With the stiffer actuator I could hold 17psi at redline with about 63% WGDC but quickly realized I had to pull 3* of timing up there to do so. Net result is a loss of about 10whp and 10wtq vs the stock intercooler. The car is here quite noticeably slower past 5k5rpm despite the extra 2psi of boost. Seems fairly obvious the poor little 16G is maxed out at this point. I also note spool is slower than with the stock actuator, so something's not right there either.

At this time I'm tapering again to 15psi at redline while I formulate the next plan of attack. Options include:

1. Raise timing beyond 5k5rpm to compensate for lower boost.

2. Further lean AFR to 11.2:1 for more power.

3. Combination of 1 and 2. Rely on (supposedly) superior cooling from Spearco IC to allow this.

4. Step up to larger compressor.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

so you lose power with this intercooler... how wasn't your stock intercooler not blown up?

I lost some power with my current 16G turbo. I think someone with a bigger turbo may have better results.

It may be Subaru has beefed the stock intercooler up over the years, even though the part number hasn't changed. You don't see the same number of complaints about exploding end-tanks from the WRX community... I ran at up to 20psi on the stocker for the last 2 years without incident.

Yes, I had the core pressure tested. I don't have a boost leak... fueling is spot-on.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Atchip no longer here... Look at profile. I tried same as you to reach out to him for more information.

It said he was active last night? :confused: Thanks though. I still haven't installed mine yet so I haven't had the chance to use your advice. I wanted to check and see if there was anymore advice.

Yes...sorry. Haven't been on LGT in quite a while till the other day when I stopped in to check on something. Unfortunately, I no longer own the LGT Wagon so I don't have anything to add to the thread. :(

Back in November, I moved my family to Manila, Philippines to take a position as Service Manager of an enthusiast-owned and operated shop here called ARC Automotive (arcautomotive.com.ph). Sold the LGT, and shipped my AC Schnitzer Widebodied E36 to my brother on the East Coast for safe keeping. Would have loved to have kept the LGT and brought it with me to the Philippines, but the importation taxes here are INSANE. Like, 100-200% the value of the vehicle. For the LGT, I woulda had to pay about $9K in taxes just to get it into the country...and that doesn't even include the cost of shipping! Ridiculous.

Anyway, sorry I don't have anything else to add since I'm no longer a LGT owner. Out here, I went back to my BMW roots and picked up an E34 525i. But, because of my short Subie ownership stint, I have caught a bit of the boost bug and have plans to turbocharge it...:D

Archived