LegacyGT.com

First Look: Spearco's new TMIC for the '08+ WRX/LGT...

atchipmunk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i don't see how that thing isn't gonna get raped by the slave cylinder right underneath....if my perrin has got a lil rub that thing should have a hole in it by next month...and no way u can run a strut tower bar with that...and i really don't see how ur gonna avoid heat soak even with everything wrapped and sprayed.

maybe i'm still noobish..but i am now convinced that (unless u live in cold climates all year round) front mount is the best replacement for stock intercooler upgrade...

my perrin is always wayyy hotter than my buddys turbo xs front mount....wish i knew this before ..

I agree BUT, these cars were made for a TMIC so they knew heatsoak would b a factor. obviously mods may make things hotter but as i see it, the heat is the only issue here. not quality or fitment which to mee are more important. heat soak is not cool but for most people who do a pull here or there and want to up their boost, THIS piece looks like the best option, also a PTB blanket under a GS heatshield that is thermal coated :lol: should help his cah stay cool. just my .02 cents...me personally?? I drove my car in 08-10 with stock top mount, x02 cbe and a turbo mike tune and ran 14.1 quarter mile in august. In 2010 i went full turbo back, rebuilt tranny, got a IPR top mount (which i ended up selling for FMIC) and that thing was hot as hell, forget the staging lanes where you idle and wait at the track cause it kills ur power..open hood and ice wont matter lol

dont get me wrong i applaud spearco's efforts. I'm sure this piece would do better under other circumstance (location location location) intercoolers for subarus are very difficult as far as building a better mousetrap.

That said with some creative engineering, building within a certain parameter, some consideration to the space limitations AND heat sources a quality,performing unit can and has been created.

myself i wish i could afford a process west ic as i feel that one has come the closest to MY idea what a quailty ic should be like.

If i had the resources i would graph a 08+ wrx style ic air duct like another member here did to his older legacy.

BUT as with anything in life there are compromises, so at this point i would just get a fmic for financial reasons.

i don't see how that thing isn't gonna get raped by the slave cylinder right underneath....if my perrin has got a lil rub that thing should have a hole in it by next month...

The core is longer but narrower than the stocker, and sits further back. If you look carefully there's more of a gap between the core and IM, and less gap between core and bulkhead. The front bracket bolts through the slave cylinder and has a roughly 25mm standoff below it, so no way can the IC touch the cylinder. It's bolted solidly to the engine and tranny, independent of turbo alignment, and can't move a millimeter. Good thing because the brackets are a PITA to install.

One thing I really like is the perfectly straight shot from end tank to TB... dead straight hose. No fiddling around finding the right angle to mount the hose at.

On the downside, forget about accessing the clutch master cylinder, engine harness plug or your WBO2 sensor with the IC in place. The transmission dipstick can be rotated forward.

I have a turbo blanket under the stock heatshield. In an hour of suburban driving, a few short pulls and a lot of idling while looking at data, I didn't feel the IC core was any hotter than the stocker would be. Turbo end just warm enough that you wouldn't leave your hand on it too long, the other end very cool. Subjective input, YMMV etc.

I think the FMIC vs. TMIC argument is valid, but this isn't the place for it. While there's little argument that a FMIC offers great advantages in cooling and almost zero heatsoak, some people won't cut their car up to that point. Of course a TMIC is a compromise with faults. I rarely have to sit in traffic as I don't commute, so the heatsoak is less of a concern to me than it would be for others. Remember I'm in a WRX and traded the LGT's swish interior and better sound insulation for the bigger hood scoop. I'm also not running a big turbo, high power setup.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yes...there is NO argument from me that a FMIC is better than a bigger TMIC from an absolute power standpoint and obviously from a heatsoak standpoint. For me, I just don't care for the excessive piping that runs all over the engine bay with a FMIC. The piping that makes several sharp turns from the compressor outlet then runs up the passenger side of the engine bay just looks like an afterthought. I like the much shorter and "cleaner" setup with a TMIC. Then there's also the argument of having a longer intake tract and it's possible affect on lag (which is debatable). For my future plans for the car (eventually maybe BNR 18g Stage 3 w/38mm recirculated EWG) the upgraded TMIC fit the bill with my intended goals. Were I gonna go bigger and badder then i'd have no choice but to go FMIC and deal with the compromises of the ugly (to me) piping.

As for heat soak...yes, no doubt heat soak will be an issue with the Spearco due to it's size and location (above the turbo). I think with some insulating countermeasures it can be kept to a minimum. I have plans for making an addition heatshield/duct that should help with that so it shouldn't be TOO big of a problem, but it's a compromise i'm willing to put up with. :)

uh i have def. noticed a diff. with the front strut tower bar

might not be huge but def. more stiff in turns and more confident at high speeds..changing lanes

i have wondered about the rear strut bars being just bling...

i wonder if they thermal coated the turbo side underside of the intercooler, used a ptp and heathshield combo...how much cooler it would be.

With the stock shield and a PTP blanket it doesn't get too terribly hot. I imagine some of that gold heat reflective tape on the bottom of the turbo-side tank it would be even better.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

fahr_side would it be possible to get a picture of the hood duct intalled on your car? I know you have a WRX, but curious to see if the duct shifts the air flow to the left if looking at the engine. Since the IC is more sku'd to the left.

If one needs to access the items under the IC is this a pain to remove and then reinstall?

I wonder what the size difference is between this and the PW?

fahr_side would it be possible to get a picture of the hood duct intalled on your car? I know you have a WRX, but curious to see if the duct shifts the air flow to the left if looking at the engine. Since the IC is more sku'd to the left.

If one needs to access the items under the IC is this a pain to remove and then reinstall?

I wonder what the size difference is between this and the PW?

http://i.imgur.com/yHN2Y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2tvHk.jpg

Yes, the splitter is moved to line up with the passenger side edge of the air duct to match the IC core, which has to be shifted that way on a LHD car.

Normally you can get to your clutch master cylinder and transmission dipstick with the IC in place. With the Spearco installed you can see the clutch reservoir to check the level but I doubt you could get the cap off and forget about filling it. Then again, unless your clutch system is leaking, why do you need to? I flush my fluid once in two years...

The transmission dipstick can rotated to the front so it sticks out alongside the turbo.

I had made a bulkhead harness to make it very easy to get my LC-1 in and out of the car without disturbing the wiring, thinking I'd do that when I was tuning other cars. Now I won't be doing that, as I'd need to pull the IC to do so.

I guess with a little practice you could get the IC out in about 20 minutes and back in within 30. It's just that front bracket that's tight and having to crawl under the car to get the rear bracket that's a pain.

As to the size comparison, I can't say about the PW. The Spearco is in total 680mm x 200mm x 90mm. Of that, 500mm is the core itself.

curious to see if the duct shifts the air flow to the left if looking at the engine. Since the IC is more sku'd to the left.

This. Maybe its just that I'm not as talented an engineer as some of you guys, but I can't imagine air flow to be directed all across the surface of the IC.

If i had the resources i would graph a 08+ wrx style ic air duct like another member here did to his older legacy.

This was actually something I strongly considered...even almost bought a hood off of a wrecked WRX (had a bend in the corner that didn't affect the shape of the hood scoop). But then I did some more research regarding the '08+ WRX's and realized it wouldn't work. The LGT's have an aluminum hood, and the '08+ WRX's have a steel hood. Can't properly graft steel to aluminum. Bummer. So, I'm planning on possibly re-working the aluminum hood to make the opening a bit larger ala the '08+ WRX...

fahr_side is the man with the pic's! Thanks for that!

the core size on the PW is 16 x 7.75 x 3.5 inches (406mm x 197mm x 89mm)

the core size on the SP is 19.7 x 7.9 x 3.5 inches (500mm x 200mm x 90mm)

Like this IC! It would be cool to see a comparo between these two IC's!

Also, from the picture it looks like the duct doesn't seal the back of the IC by the firewall. Would the air possibly blow "over" the IC an not "thru" the IC. By no means am I knocking the design, just curious if I'm missing something from an engineering standpoint (as I'm not an engineer :) )

it would be cool if there was a way to funnel or "pass wind" with the intention of purging the engine bay heat. like to send a snorkel or duct from the scoop towards the turbo downpipe, thus pushing and directing heat down and away from the bay...i know its a crazy notion but i am a bit crazy. kinda why i left my scoop on when i went fmic was to help push hot air out of the bay

fahr_side is the man with the pic's!

Also, from the picture it looks like the duct doesn't seal the back of the IC by the firewall. Would the air possibly blow "over" the IC an not "thru" the IC.

I'm not so bad when you get to know me ;)

The hood liner in fact comes very close to the trailing edge of the core, if not actually touch it. I can't quite get my hand that far in there.

it would be cool if there was a way to funnel or "pass wind" with the intention of purging the engine bay heat. like to send a snorkel or duct from the scoop towards the turbo downpipe, thus pushing and directing heat down and away from the bay...

Actually, Subaru did this on the 1st Gen Legacy Turbo. The turbo heat shield had a "chimney" built into it that vented heat up through the hood scoop. Not sure why they got rid of it on the later turbo cars. Guess they didn't deem it necessary anymore? Wonder why?

Maybe they decided the louvers in the hood looked too rice? My buddy had a 1st gen Legacy with EJ20G and AWIC as stock. The chimney fit straight to the heat shield and ducted all the hot air out a louvered vent on the hood next to the scoop. Seemed like overkill with an AWIC.

Just want to note for you Spec B guys or 6spd swappers that you'll have to modify brackets or create new ones. Brackets were made to fit the 5MT.

Archived