LegacyGT.com

Perrin TMIC vs BP'd OEM TMIC

I was wondering as far as cooling ability will I see noticeable gains over the OEM top mount with the Perrin? I will be picking one up with a VF52 as part of a package deal and am trying to decide whether I should resell it or install it.
God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a lively discussion on this in the first part of 'how to DIY reinforce your stock TMIC' thread. There was not much valid argument for reinforcing the stock one beyond it being cheap.

If you got a Perrin for a good price, keep it.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I was wondering as far as cooling ability will I see noticeable gains over the OEM top mount with the Perrin? I will be picking one up with a VF52 as part of a package deal and am trying to decide whether I should resell it or install it.

Are you asking if you should upgrade turbo but NOT intercooler:confused:. KK, you should consider upgrading intercooler BEFORE turbo, so YES YOU NEED TO RUN THE UPGRADED TMIC.

lol, wut? process west and spearco are the MOST OVERPRICED TMIC MONEY CAN BUY

Fixed. Imho AVO > PW any day of the week. $1000 tmic indeed.:lol:

How can you compare and avo with a pw? they are completely different in both quality and function. I doubt running an avo with a 20g would work as well as a pw. I had an avo, and yes it's decent quality, but it's efficiency CANNOT be near the pw's fin density and internal real estate

AVO function very well for what it is because it fits like oem. That means it has high pressure and low pressure at the right places, particularly if you keep the engine cover and diffuser on, which keeps its efficency high. Additionally, it looks oem, acts oem but better and some users have even gone into dealerships that did not notice with it. Will it work with a 20g? Sure.

Would I condone spending $1000 to get a little more power with the addition of not having ideal fitment? NO. I think a $1000 TMIC is idiotic except for a very few rare occasions, particularly in a world where many FMIC and TMIC are available at a lower pricepoint. Its unlikely that my LGT will ever see a TMIC and if I ever need one for the OBXT, it will be one with similar to oem fitment and a resonable pricepoint.

If someone GIVES me a PW, I will happily run it on the OBXT. I would not be adverse to buying one second hand for cheap either but $1000. NO. Just no.

I would not put my 20g through the ostrication of having to rely on an avo to cool the air, with a turbo that big the timing up top suffers as is even with a PW compared to a fmic. an avo on a 20g would be a joke, might as well throw the 20g away as gains will be mediocre by insufficient intercooler efficiency. Price is not a concern. If I didn't have the money for atleast the cooling capacity of a PW or spearco, I wouldn't keep the 20g. I'd downgrade to a 16g or 52 and switch to the heatsink, bolt-on, brick of an avo or perrin.

FMIC or sell car

I was considering this as well and with the consensus of the Perrin not being very useful I think I will be selling and ordering a Racer X. I would love a Process West but the price is a little too much for me.

God created turbo lag to give V8s a chance

OP, never mind the kids...

Keep the Perrin, put a smaller boost pill in the hose on the turbo on the vf52, have the car tuned, see my sig.

That's on stock fueling.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

To answer the op's question without getting into the "whos TMIC is better" debate (which I love as no one seems to have any real data, just opinions) keep the Perrin. It is far better than a "bullet proof" OEM TMIC. There is actual data to back that up.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I am the great and powerful all knowing Wizard of Oz. Lol.

There was a time when I considered a FMIC on a Subie blasphemy. Its not an EVO. Its a Subie. But even a crap FMIC tends to cool better than a good TMIC.

The PW is a nice TMIC. On a WRX it works very well. Without proper direction of air flow from the scoop and consistent airflow across the entire core, you dont actually get all the benefites of a PW set up. I have yet to see someone devise a modified air scoop to effectively do this on an LGT. I have not seen tuning results that show any vast improvement in performance over a AVO or Perrin with a PW. If you already have a Perrin...

There are many very capable FMIC kits available for less than a PW. Even a TurboXS (which many others are a copy of) sells for under $900 delivered.

Archived