LegacyGT.com

PSA: If you are running less than 40 PSI, expect to wreck tires and wheels.

turbodog

I've bent a lip at 40 psi, but it was a particularly hard impact that would not be considered normal driving....rounded curb @ 50 mph.

So to make it clear at 30 or 40psi under normal driving conditions my wheels will be fine but at 30 or 40psi+ my wheels will get bent when experiencing an impact outside of "normal driving"? WTF is the point of this thread exactly?

Friend of mine has an A3, similar weight and tire, spec'd at 39 psi, runs 42. I run 42 in the spec.b.
A3 carries significantly more weight over its front axle too.

I've owned numerous cars around 3500 lbs with similar tire profiles to the legacy. Running pressures in the low 30's will consistantly result in bent wheels and sidewall damage when driven on normal roads with pot holes etc.
1996 Nissan Maxima, 2001 Nissan Maxima, 1987 Mitsubishi Starion, 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4. Highest recommended tire pressure for any of them is the 3000GT which calls for 36PSI for "sustained high speed driving." Ive never run more than 38 PSI on any of my cars and the only reason my Maxima was run at 38 was because i put Conti DWS's on it and they are extremely soft sidewalled tires. I have yet to bend a wheel or damage a tire from 'low pressure'

Low 40's is NOT over inflated and will provide much better tire and wheel durablity.
40 psi is not 'over inflated' per sidewall specs, however it is over inflated on most street cars for normal driving. Yes it will give your tire less flex and roll over in cornering but it will not better protect your wheels.

There are at least two threads on the first page of this forum discussing wheel or tire damage.....

Many of the tire/wheel damage discussion revolves around the Conti DWS which is notorious for having far too soft of sidewalls.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• I Donated Too
Those of you running low 30s have smooth roads, drive slow, or are on borrowed time.

I've bent a lip at 40 psi, but it was a particularly hard impact that would not be considered normal driving....rounded curb @ 50 mph.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2ljp5ok.gif

Thread closed. Full of mis info that is opinion not fact. And is basically a useless thread.

Unless the OP is an engineer from Goodyear or Pirelli or Subaru, then please PM me with your credentials and I will open it up again.

Archived