LegacyGT.com

PSA: If you are running less than 40 PSI, expect to wreck tires and wheels.

turbodog

• I Donated
No troll. Subaru has always under spec'd tire pressure.

As has every other manufacturer who specs 32-36psi for their car's tires?

Please, go on. :lol:

If Subaru was specing 26psi like Ford did on the Explorer, you might have a point, but as it is, you don't.

How in the world would <40 cause damage to tires/wheels? That's just ridiculous.

Tires can be damaged by excessive heat buildup, but you need to be below 30 for that to really be an issue.

Over 40psi is pretty much overinflated for everything but autoX IMO.

As has every other manufacturer who specs 32-36psi for their car's tires?

Please, go on. :lol:

If Subaru was specing 26psi like Ford did on the Explorer, you might have a point, but as it is, you don't.

Friend of mine has an A3, similar weight and tire, spec'd at 39 psi, runs 42. I run 42 in the spec.b.

I've owned numerous cars around 3500 lbs with similar tire profiles to the legacy. Running pressures in the low 30's will consistantly result in bent wheels and sidewall damage when driven on normal roads with pot holes etc.

Low 40's is NOT over inflated and will provide much better tire and wheel durablity.

There are at least two threads on the first page of this forum discussing wheel or tire damage.....

Uh, I drive on NYC roads, through ghetto Brooklyn. This is what I posted in another thread:

Sooooo your question is... what sort of wheels can you get that are 18 inches and/or a set of tires to go with them that will protect the rim?

Get stronger rims. Get ready to pay out of the butt for them. Get tires that have a rim protector too if possible. The tiny extra bit of rubber would help.

Most importantly, watch where you're driving. I've driven/drive on these in shitty ghetto Brooklyn roads and I have yet to pop a tire, cause a bubble or dent/crack a rim.

17x7 stock with stock Bridgestone RE92 215/45

17x7 stock with Yokohama W4S 225/45

17x7 stock with Dunlop Wintersport M3 215/45

18x7.5 Volk CE28N with General Exclaim UHP 225/40

I forgot to mention in that thread that I inflate to 36/34 front/rear which is 1 PSI over what the door jamb sticker recommends.

In fact, sometimes I neglect to check my tire pressures so realistically I probably dip below that frequently until I remember to check again.

I have yet to dent a rim or damage a tire and I can be pretty aggressive in my driving sometimes.

Those of you running low 30s have smooth roads, drive slow, or are on borrowed time.

I've bent a lip at 40 psi, but it was a particularly hard impact that would not be considered normal driving....rounded curb @ 50 mph.

Archived