LegacyGT.com

05-09 vs 10+

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoplightassassin said is best, with the aftermarket being WAY better for the 4th gen. i love the looks of the 4th gen but some of you 5th gen haters need to admit that there are some modded 5th gens that look good and make legit power..

A cars a car, Both(05-09 or 10+) will get you from point A to B to point C then back to point A.

Stop with the arguing and fighting, at least he/she's considering buying a "SUBARU", we should be glad and happy that people are actually looking at a "SUBARU" and not another car manufacturer like GM or Toyota.

We all drive a Subaru Legacy, whats with the hate, where's the love(Subaru or "Legacy" wave?)

We're probably gonna meet one day, maybe at a subi meet or at an intersection somewhere

We're all Family and drive an Subaru Legacy, u no hate I, U hate say Toyota, Acura, etc but not another "Legacy"

C'mon peps

dr_sharp I was looking at your Weight Reduction thread.

How much did you shave off in the end on your B.spec?

It was between 250 and 270 lbs. It was only ever temporary though... just having some fun for a week while I took my time with sound deadening

lol

I am surprised the 5th gen weighs less. The 4th gen legacy GT's are lighter than the spec b's per the sales catalog (I don't have it in front of me). I see some mentioning the 5th gen size. The 4th gen are smaller than average sedan of its era. Subaru just enlarged. The Camry, Maxima, Accord, etc dwarf the 4th gen Legacy's. I personally like the 4th gen's. I would still buy a 5th gen GT, though.

I never wanted to instigate a pissing contest about 4th gen vs 5th gen.

I wasn't raging about the Bilsteins, just letting the OP know more about the 5th gen then the immature comments some of you guys left.

I don't give a shit how many aftermarket turbos or shocks your cars have, I was just letting the OP know some of the options he has with the current gen since they don't make the 4th gen anymore.

I am a fan of the 4th gen but got a much better deal on a 5th gen LGT so there is no need to one up me on every little thing I post.

4th gen= RACECAR

REALLY?

How old are you W.K.S., 16?

4th gen = racecar. It is simply an opinion, agree or disagree it doesn't matter. Anyway "racecar" was used in this sense as an analogy to show that the 4th gen has a larger aftermarket, and can be taken to the track. The 4th gen is obviously not literally a racecar.:rolleyes:

Wow, how quickly a simple genuine question turns into a typical NASIOC thread... I owned both as well, just state what you know, no need to get so defensive/offensive. Like a previous poster said (sorry I didn't name you, i'm on my phone), be glad her or she is keeping Subaru alive.

I am surprised the 5th gen weighs less. The 4th gen legacy GT's are lighter than the spec b's per the sales catalog (I don't have it in front of me). I see some mentioning the 5th gen size. The 4th gen are smaller than average sedan of its era. Subaru just enlarged. The Camry, Maxima, Accord, etc dwarf the 4th gen Legacy's. I personally like the 4th gen's. I would still buy a 5th gen GT, though.

A 2009 LGT manual is a few pounds lighter than a 5th gen, the auto LGT is heavier. Spec. B variant is the heaviest, go figure.

The enlarged size makes sense given how much the Impreza has increased as well. I have an 2008 Impreza sedan, and it has maybe 1" less back seat legroom than my LGT. The only difference is that the LGT has more trunk space. Enlarging the Legacy really helps differentiate it from the Impreza.

The new BRZ gets the role that the Impreza once filled.

2010 GT is actually a couple of pounds lighter than the 2009. 2010 GT Limited 3477 lbs, 2009 Spec. B 3543. Additionally, the 2010+ GT is more powerful in stock form (265 HP vs 243 HP).

It really comes down to asthetics and what you want the car for. Personally, I find the interior of the 2009 GT much nicer than a 2010, and I like the feel of a smaller car. In stock form, the 2010 is faster, but the 2005-2009 has more aftermarket potential. The backseat on the 2009 is cramped at best, 2010 is HUGE. If you regularly have more than two people in the car 2010 all the way.

Good post and I agree you can't go wrong with either one, but individual needs really determine what is best. Also, keep in mind that the LGT's got porkier every year and that if ultimate power-to-weight ratio is near the top of the list then the 2005 Un-limited rises to the top, which tips the scales at a trim 3250lbs.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• I Donated Too
I'm enjoying this thread quite a bit, obnoxious comments and all. Just so you guys know I'm pretty familiar with the 4th gen, I'm just having trouble comparing it to the 5th gen. Keep it coming.

this is serious thread

A 2009 LGT manual is a few pounds lighter than a 5th gen, the auto LGT is heavier. Spec. B variant is the heaviest, go figure.

The enlarged size makes sense given how much the Impreza has increased as well. I have an 2008 Impreza sedan, and it has maybe 1" less back seat legroom than my LGT. The only difference is that the LGT has more trunk space. Enlarging the Legacy really helps differentiate it from the Impreza.

The new BRZ gets the role that the Impreza once filled.

If I recall correctly, its about a 54 lbs difference between the 09 LGT and the 2012. had the former, now the latter.

2007 GT 5MT: 3415lbs

2007 GT 5EAT: 3485lbs

2007 Spec.B: 3515lbs

2009 GT 5MT: 3428lbs

2009 GT 5EAT: 3503lbs

2009 Spec.B: 3543lbs

2012 GT 6MT: 3483lbs

Direct from subaru.com downloadable pdfs for each model year. Its also pretty common knowledge that the 5th gen 6MT is no where near as beefy as the sti/spec.b 6MT. Not sure how it compares to the 5MT though.

lol

That's to ensure that at freeway speeds the specB doesn't generate enough lift to exit the earth's atmosphere and enter into orbit.

for comparison across the three years:

2010 LGT 6MT: 3477lbs

from 2010 downloadable pdf.

2007 GT 5EAT: 3485lbs

2007 Spec.B: 3515lbs

2009 GT 5EAT: 3503lbs

2009 Spec.B: 3543lbs

2012 GT 6MT: 3483lbs

Direct from subaru.com downloadable pdfs for each model year. Its also pretty common knowledge that the 5th gen 6MT is no where near as beefy as the sti/spec.b 6MT. Not sure how it compares to the 5MT though.

^^ Yes, 1st-year 5th-gen >200lbs more than 1st-year 4th-gen. Every year got heavier - it didn't start in 2010 with the model change - it just continued. The bloating isn't a big deal to the casual driver and personally I'd take a 2010 over a 2009 since the weight difference is pretty small between those model years. I like to get the first year or two of a model rather than the last year or two as well.

My '05 LGT

Well - if you use the car to transport others including someone behind the driver, and you aren't a midget, the 2010+ has much more interior space. The 2010+ design is "rounder" so it looks much bigger than it is when compared to the 2005-2009.

2009: L/W/H - 185.0 inches/68.1 inches/56.1 inches

2012: L/W/H - 186.4 inches/71.7 inches/59.3 inches

the big difference, though, is interior room, particularly in the back

2009:

headroom f/r: 37.6 inches/36.5 inches

legroom f/r: 44.1 inches/33.9 inches

shoulder room f/r:54.2 inches/53.7 inches

2012:

headroom f/r: 38.1 inches/37.5 inches

legroom f/r: 43.0 inches/37.8 inches

shoulder room f/r:56.3 inches/56.1 inches

trunk is also larger in the 2010+ at 14.7cuft vs. 11.4 cuft.

Interestingly, it's still shorter and narrower than a Ford Mustang... (188.1 long, 73.9" wide)

If you read around this site, you'll see that most of the 4th gen folks seem to make a career out of whining about the 5th gen... both nice cars, but apparently they need something to do... even though the 5th gen is faster and outhandles the 4th stock for stock... ;)

Good post DrD123, however your last comment isn't quite right. Stock for stock it is pretty much a push. If one had to make a case and nitpick yes the skidpad (0.82 vs. 0.79) is a little better for the 5th gen but 0-60 (5.8 vs. 5.1) better for the 4th gen. Those tests weren't done on the same day and same place obviously but it is pretty reasonable to come to the conclusion that there isn't a huge degree in separation in terms of performance. Same noise range. The 5th-gen has a much better torque curve, which doesn't show up in car magazine stats. You seem like a guy impressed by interior room, which doesn't really matter to a lot of people (like me). I'm just hoping that aftermarket support for 5th-gen will continue to grow so that aftermarket and stage 3 options for the 5th-gen will be near as plentiful and cost effective at 4th-gen. Hopefully more 5th-gen guys will get the mod bug like Rutchard and start pushing the envelope otherwise most these 5th-gens will remain stock. And stock is good but not great for either 4th or 5th gen.

Also, I'm always amused at 5th-gen guys pointing out that weight is so similar to the 2009 or Spec B models (very heaviest 4th-gen models)... never bringing up the weight of the lighter 4th-gen models.

My '05 LGT

^^ Yes, 1st-year 5th-gen >200lbs more than 1st-year 4th-gen. Every year got heavier - it didn't start in 2010 with the model change - it just continued. The bloating isn't a big deal to the casual driver and personally I'd take a 2010 over a 2009 since the weight difference is pretty small between those model years. I like to get the first year or two of a model rather than the last year or two as well.

Weight gains are quite small...

62lbs <<200 lbs for 2007 to 2010 transition

49lbs for 2009

2010 LGT 6MT: 3477lbs

2010 gains in rear leg room, HP, TQ, better stopping distance, improved gas mileage, reduced turbo lag. The minor increase in weight is negligible over the gains.

Much much greater return on every performance $$:

Stage I 2010 LGT >= Stage II 2007-2009 LGT/Spec B

Good post DrD123, however your last comment isn't quite right. Stock for stock it is pretty much a push. If one had to make a case and nitpick yes the skidpad (0.82 vs. 0.79) is a little better for the 5th gen but 0-60 (5.8 vs. 5.1) better for the 4th gen. Those tests weren't done on the same day and same place obviously but it is pretty reasonable to come to the conclusion that there isn't a huge degree in separation in terms of performance. Same noise range. The 5th-gen has a much better torque curve, which doesn't show up in car magazine stats. You seem like a guy impressed by interior room, which doesn't really matter to a lot of people (like me). I'm just hoping that aftermarket support for 5th-gen will continue to grow so that aftermarket and stage 3 options for the 5th-gen will be near as plentiful and cost effective at 4th-gen. Hopefully more 5th-gen guys will get the mod bug like Rutchard and start pushing the envelope otherwise most these 5th-gens will remain stock. And stock is good but not great for either 4th or 5th gen.

Also, I'm always amused at 5th-gen guys pointing out that weight is so similar to the 2009 or Spec B models (very heaviest 4th-gen models)... never bringing up the weight of the lighter 4th-gen models.

I like how you picked the quickest 4th gen and the slowest 5th gen times for 0-60. As speeds increase, the 5th gen pulls away. Stock for stock.

And I'm not sure you're right about most 5th gens remaining stock. Sure, they aren't being modded to the point of the 4th gens, but you're a flash away from mid 13s, and stage 2 cars are hitting high 12s.

Maybe if we had a banjo filter to get clogged up and aid in turbo destruction we would have more replacement turbo options?

I like the 4th gen cars, and if you want to have a larger variety of aftermarket parts, its the way to go.

If on the other hand you would be happy at stage 2 power levels and or need the extra space for kids, then i think the 5th gen is the better choice.

Archived