LegacyGT.com

OFFICIAL 2013 WRX/STI Thread

LegGTLT

It actually makes perfect sense if you know what's happening with the WRX/STi down the line.

The WRX/STi is branching off into it's own smaller chassis in the future, rumored to be powered by a 1.6 liter direct injected turbo engine (for reentry into the WRC perhaps?). It sounds like it will be VERY small (read not useful for families).

Subaru would lose a huge piece of the game if they did not have any version of a reasonably sized, turbo Impreza.

Look for the upcoming Impreza GT to be more like the 05-09 LGT and less like the former IGT.

How much smaller do you think the next gen WRX be? The rumors are going around that it's going to be the size of a yaris,which isn't bad at all. Actually i prefer the next gen car to be smaller than the current car,and lighter which equals better power to weight ratio,and faster. The 1.6L is for other markets,and not the US thank god. We are getting the much better FA20 DIT. I also heard rumors of a 3 door hatch or a coupe,but i hope they don't do that,because it would alienate alot of buyers. I think they should stick to the formula that has worked out the best and it's the 5 door wagon/hatch and 4 door sedan. The Impreza GT isn't going to return i still don't see why they would bring it back anyway? Unless it gets like 200+ hp. It got canned after one year,and only came with a 4 speed automatic honestly it was terrible. They should bring the Legacy GT and Spec.B back for the 6th generation Legacy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Impreza GT?? When was that produced ? We have Impreza RS TS WRX 2.5i OBS. I've never heard of a GT trim. Or do you mean there will be a GT trim now the WRX has split off ? I've always bought 12 and now 13 Imprezas look like smaller legacys

How much smaller do you think the next gen WRX be? The rumors are going around that it's going to be the size of a yaris,which isn't bad at all. Actually i prefer the next gen car to be smaller than the current car,and lighter which equals better power to weight ratio,and faster. The 1.6L is for other markets,and not the US thank god. We are getting the much better FA20 DIT. I also heard rumors of a 3 door hatch or a coupe,but i hope they don't do that,because it would alienate alot of buyers. I think they should stick to the formula that has worked out the best and it's the 5 door wagon/hatch and 4 door sedan. The Impreza GT isn't going to return i still don't see why they would bring it back anyway? Unless it gets like 200+ hp. It got canned after one year,and only came with a 4 speed automatic honestly it was terrible. They should bring the Legacy GT and Spec.B back for the 6th generation Legacy.

The 1.6 DIT in STi trim is rumored to make 300+ hp.

The Impreza won't get smaller. Trends dictate that almost every car gets larger over time. That's why they are branching off the WRX so they can make it smaller and more performance oriented.

A new Impreza GT would not be much different than the formula for the current WRX. As the pictures show, it will have a turbo FA/FB motor. Expect it to have around 275hp.

The only thing that would alienate customers with the upcoming WRX/STi offshoot is to NOT offer a turbocharged Impreza.

Impreza GT?? When was that produced ? We have Impreza RS TS WRX 2.5i OBS. I've never heard of a GT trim.

Impreza GTs were produced in 09-10. They were 4eats and were rated at 224hp. I have no idea of the production numbers, but there weren't many.

I don't remember if I posted this already, but if a 2 door STI coupe comes to reality I'm selling my legacy and probably everything else I own, dumping my gf, quitting my job, and building the most awesome rally STI the world has ever seen.

Also planning on winning the lotto.

:)

Yes if only Subaru built a 2 door STi.

http://www.iwoc.co.uk/images/iwocmembers/sti4r.jpg

thats no GC STI,THIS is a GC STI! http://aclassblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/22b_03.jpg

Thats cool but honestly only if it was a 22B successor. Otherwise i don't see the point of it going two doors since they already have the BRZ. Also if they bring back the Impreza GT will it come in a manual? I say they should bring back the RS name and call it the Impreza RS GT that way you have the base Impreza at 148 hp then you move up to the RS at 220-230.

The WRX and STI will have their own unique styling and platforms and designs with 270+ hp.

The 22B was a special edition STi to commemorate Subaru's 40th anniversary. It wasn't a regular production model, and Subaru didn't do anything in 08 for their 50th Anniversary (Maybe the S402, but they never said it had anything to do with Subaru's 50th AFAIK)

It's not so much they want the offshoot WRX to be a two door, more like they want it to be a smaller chassis for numerous reasons. It's getting harder and harder to make cars fast, while meeting CAFE regulations. One alternative is to make performance cars smaller. Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are all due to be smaller in their next versions.

I would expect the Impreza GT to be available in both auto and manual...possibly with the 6spd from the BM GT.

I don't see where the RS could fit in. If it did, it would have to be on the WRX chassis (2 door) and be N/A. Then you have two similar cars competing against each other, the BRZ and the RS (which would have AWD). I don't see this happening, mostly because Subaru has denied the BRZ will ever be getting a turbo power plant. Whether that changes in the future is anyone's guess. The small car lineup would be BRZ -> WRX -> STi

^let us know how that works out

It sucks when your backup plan, and your primary plan both pretty much depend on winning the lotto haha.

I just want a 2 door AWD 300 hp hatch. Preferably from subaru. I've never really thought I would buy a vw but the Golf R is the closest thing I can find to that right now.

I just want a 2 door AWD 300 hp hatch. Preferably from subaru. I've never really thought I would buy a vw but the Golf R is the closest thing I can find to that right now.

VW put their money into fit and finish in the R. That's why it comes in at the same price point as the STi, but with less performance. The R is just a reflash away from 300hp.

The 22B was a special edition STi to commemorate Subaru's 40th anniversary. It wasn't a regular production model, and Subaru didn't do anything in 08 for their 50th Anniversary (Maybe the S402, but they never said it had anything to do with Subaru's 50th AFAIK)

It's not so much they want the offshoot WRX to be a two door, more like they want it to be a smaller chassis for numerous reasons. It's getting harder and harder to make cars fast, while meeting CAFE regulations. One alternative is to make performance cars smaller. Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are all due to be smaller in their next versions.

I would expect the Impreza GT to be available in both auto and manual...possibly with the 6spd from the BM GT.

I don't see where the RS could fit in. If it did, it would have to be on the WRX chassis (2 door) and be N/A. Then you have two similar cars competing against each other, the BRZ and the RS (which would have AWD). I don't see this happening, mostly because Subaru has denied the BRZ will ever be getting a turbo power plant. Whether that changes in the future is anyone's guess. The small car lineup would be BRZ -> WRX -> STi

Do you think they'll make a special edition WRX and STI for 2013 since it's the final year for the GR/GH design? I also want to clarify that the picture off of autoblog is not of the 2014 WRX ,but some type of hybrid Impreza according to Brenda Priddy who i spoke with earlier. She knows the engineers of Subaru and said that autoblog and other publications misprinted the post. The actual WRX prototype should be coming out shortly though. She told me that the hood scoop was tacked on with tape to confuse people and that it is not the 2014 WRX. When i asked her when can we expect the the prototype of the real actual car,she said sometime next year possibly. She said Subaru is focusing on their own hybrid setups and still continuing on with turbos. That hacked up Impreza on autoblog is probably an Impreza hybrid or some other prototype Subaru hybrid.

Do you think they'll make a special edition WRX and STI for 2013 since it's the final year for the GR/GH design? I also want to clarify that the picture off of autoblog is not of the 2014 WRX ,but some type of hybrid Impreza according to Brenda Priddy who i spoke with earlier. She knows the engineers of Subaru and said that autoblog and other publications misprinted the post. The actual WRX prototype should be coming out shortly though. She told me that the hood scoop was tacked on with tape to confuse people and that it is not the 2014 WRX. When i asked her when can we expect the the prototype of the real actual car,she said sometime next year possibly. She said Subaru is focusing on their own hybrid setups and still continuing on with turbos. That hacked up Impreza on autoblog is probably an Impreza hybrid or some other prototype Subaru hybrid.

Yep, as was stated, probably no special edition for the US.

There's no way that car is a hybrid. If it were a hybrid, there would be no reason for a hoodscoop or 6MT. It could drive around appearing like a plain jane Impreza 2.0i. A Subaru Hybrid would almost 100% have a CVT only. I don't see how Subaru could adapt a hybrid system to the current Impreza chassis without some serious work and compromises.

That car is a test mule for the turbo FA. You can clearly see the intercooler through the hoodscoop.http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/08/2014-subaru-wrx-mule-02.jpg

If it is,thats a little backwards don't you think? They should continue to use the current one in the STI or the BRZ one instead.

If you can buy a WRX with the STi 6 spd, why pay the premium for the STi? You could then buy a WRX with the best thing about the STi. Also, the cost of the STi 6spd would raise the price of the WRX considerably.

I don't think the BRZ trans is strong enough to support a torquey awd platform. Look at the BM LGT, some guys are making 350+ ft lbs of tq with no issues. They'd also have to adapt front and center differentials to the BRZ trans. Adapting pieces to fit never works as well as engineering a part for a specific application right from the start.

Archived