LegacyGT.com

Help a first time new car buyer...

nrb1225

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for a new Legacy GT. I've been doing a lot of reading on the forums for the past couple of months. I currently own a '97 Maxima SE, which I purchased used about 4 years ago. The Legacy will be my first new car. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips out there for a first time new car buyer. I've never haggled with a new car salesman before, so I'm not really sure what to expect. I'm only 20 years old and I have a feeling that the car dealers won't really take me seriously. However, I am prepared to put about $15K-$16K down and finance the rest. I just don't know how to talk the car dealers down to as low as some of the prices I have read people are getting.

I'm looking for a '05 GT-Limited 5MT sedan. I found two identical cars (with the exception of the color) at two of my local Subaru dealers. One dealer has an Atlantic Blue and the other has a Black Obsidian. Both cars have the spoiler, auto-dimming mirror, and security system upgrade. I sent in an internet quote request to both of the dealers. The dealer with the Atlantic Blue Legacy gave me a quote of $27,490 less the $1,000 rebate, for a total of $26,490. The dealer with the Black Obsidian Legacy gave me a quote of $28,020 less the $1,000 rebate, for a total of $27,020. I think these prices are great starting points, but I would like to see these dealers come down a little more, especially the dealer with the Black Obsidian, since that's the one I want. I've been reading a lot of posts where people are getting similarly equipped cars in the $25K-$26K range, and even some as low as $24K. I also found another similarly equipped Legacy on Fitzmall's website for $25,151. Do you think I would be able to get one of my local dealers to match the price of Fitzmall, or better yet, beat it?

I apologize if this is a re-post. I've been a member of Maxima.org since I purchased my car 4 years ago. As a veteran of that forum, I know how annoying newbies can be reposting old questions. I have been lurking and reading on the forums for a few weeks now, and I didn't really see anything like this. So, I figured I'd post and get some suggestions on how to haggle! :)

Thanks,

-Nick

I just got another e-mail quote from another dealer that has a Silver Legacy with the same options as the other two I mentioned. They gave me the price of $26,270, which includes all current incentives.

Thanks,

-Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Those prices stink.

You need to stick to your guns and get them to meet your price; otherwise find another dealer. It doesn't have to be a shouting match or disrespectful, but you need to make them very aware that you will only buy at the price you want, otherwise they will eat you alive.

Whatever you do, don't let on that you are just dying to own any particular car. Even if it the exact car of your dreams,. don't let on. Dealers can sense rampant desire like a dog can smell fear. Just be detached and act like it is no big deal if you don't get this particular car unless they give you a price you like. Do make sure they know you are serious and are ready to buy,.

Also, let them know you plan to finance it and are open to going through them. That way, it's easier for them to give away some profit on the "front end" if they think they are going to make it up on the "back end" How you end up financing it is up to you but have at least 1 source lined up so you can put the dealer in a position where they have to bid against another financing source. You'll get a better rate (unless of course you are taking advantage of low % financing offered through Subaru). My 2 cents. Good luck!

Bring along the best older negotiater that you know.

My step-dad has worked in the same electronics business that I do for 30 years and is the best negotiater I have ever seen in person.

He is also a physically imposing man who can be very blunt and direct and I have seen him hammer on people (in a very pro manner, mind you) so well that many people have to run off to get more senior managers into the office to assist with the meetings. negotiations.

There is no shame in having some seasoned help, and you will learn fromt eh experience and apply it to your own dealings in the future.

I would also suggest that you search ALL the local dealers and get internet quotes. Let them do the hard work for dropping the price. They start to play each one off the other online. Do not bother going into the dealer until you get closer.

It's the game...you come in with a number...and they give you theirs. It's the will power that takes control when buying a new car....becuase that's why you are there, or sending an email, or whatever.

Do the research, find the best price (use other dealerships that allow you to build your own (i.e. www.vanbortelsubaru.com)), and then, talk price. They are there to make money, you are there to save money...so, someone has to break down in the middle...and that's the key to a better price. Everyone's first number is the worst scenario that is brought up. In the buyers' case, it's their 'lowest' and in terms of the dealers' it's their 'highest.' That's where the utlimate game begins...and that's where the numbers come into play.

Since you are planning to put down a significant chunk of money, as a downpayment, there's no need to pay a 'premium' for an '05, especially since the '06's are coming in. Also, check the 'build date' of the car, and the earlier the build, the more you get off of the car, since they would rather sell it, than keep it. Of course, u don't want to take something that's been sitting there for over a year...but it might be the right ticket for the best price..and then some.

Just be strong...kid or not...money talks, BS walks. If they give you too much of it, walk!

Apologies for the length...just trying to help, while making some sense.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, contact Marty at http://www.worldsubaru.com/en_US/ tell him that my brother Kokil (pronounced coke-kill) with the RBP 2.5RS Impreza sent you! He will play a fair game...and is a nice guy, at that! I am sure he will play the game...but you can knock off some serious cash, if you play the cards right -- and they have a black OP with 5 speed sedan, and wagon, I think..

Archived